What have you done... (power system wtf)

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Much potential, sadly much wasted potential. Glad QFI is trying to patch the gaping wounds in the zombie. I REALLY HOPE the next update learns and gives the community more control over the systems. Too much hard-code-blocking of things preventing the people who actually play the game (instead of supermario/zelda/whatever speedruns) from doing a real balance of things. I guess we could do some java and try to get paid for it (or hand off our fixes as a good faith excercise hoping for a bright future) but I'm wondering how fruitful that would be without access to Known-working unobfuscated builds to compare it to. I mean I GUESS it's not the worst thing to hope someone will comb though the still unfinished crafting tree and make things both useful and less annoying to fill a blueprint(damn this builder for including uncraftable plants in the ship!)... I'd honestly prefer to chop that cancer out and paste-back-in the old "create block blueprint from 5000 raw blocks" system to give a manufacturer economy a basis again.

Would probably be nice to community-fork away from the main build after chopping out things that are cancerous to gameplay. Would not be that hard to re-merge after the main dev branch actually finishes taking the duct-taped parts off themselves and actually present something that has more gameplay value.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why have only one power system? Why not have two power systems that are determined by the type of ship core?

From what i understand, the big cause of this mess was lag caused by power transfer beams from docked reactors. Docked reactors were cool, they required logic and you had to design the shape and put them in the ship. The big problem was lag, they lagged everything due to the beam firing.

The thing about docked reactors, was that they were cool. You had this separate entity for the ship, that WAS a reactor. It was cool. It was fun, it made the ships feel more alive and have moving parts and look scifi. So instead of scrapping them by overhauling the system, why not get rid of the transfer beam and make a cable block? Use the same logic for transferring the power, but have it done with an expensive cabling block. This would fix the lag issue, but keep the innovative and neat designs.

So lets say, they give us a ship core option: New system and old system cores. With the new system core it will be the new power system and all it's fixings. That is fine. Maybe some of us like it, and maybe it makes the ships easier to build. But why not have the older power system used with a different core? This different core will use the block counts and block geometry for power, but allow some docked entities to transfer power. This will allow more creative players to experiment with ship designs.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Why have only one power system? Why not have two power systems that are determined by the type of ship core?

From what i understand, the big cause of this mess was lag caused by power transfer beams from docked reactors. Docked reactors were cool, they required logic and you had to design the shape and put them in the ship. The big problem was lag, they lagged everything due to the beam firing.

The thing about docked reactors, was that they were cool. You had this separate entity for the ship, that WAS a reactor. It was cool. It was fun, it made the ships feel more alive and have moving parts and look scifi. So instead of scrapping them by overhauling the system, why not get rid of the transfer beam and make a cable block? Use the same logic for transferring the power, but have it done with an expensive cabling block. This would fix the lag issue, but keep the innovative and neat designs.

So lets say, they give us a ship core option: New system and old system cores. With the new system core it will be the new power system and all it's fixings. That is fine. Maybe some of us like it, and maybe it makes the ships easier to build. But why not have the older power system used with a different core? This different core will use the block counts and block geometry for power, but allow some docked entities to transfer power. This will allow more creative players to experiment with ship designs.
    The whole thing wasn't caused by docked reactors. Docked reactors didn't exist anymore by the time the update came out, as they had been replaced by auxiliary power blocks (which essentially generated the same amount of power per block, but they were placed directly on the ship).

Reactions: jayman38