What do you think of the planned galaxies?

How big do you think galaxies should be?

• Total voters

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Also about your signature, did you know you could link it to your channel?
    Yeah, I'm currently in the process of making a new sig though so I'm waiting till that's done. Thank you though. =)

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nice models! Please forgive my little 16^3 galaxy hand made models :p the final size isn't decided yet, these will go nicely to showing what they could look like.
    i still think that size is nice

Reaction score
    50-wide galaxies means 800 sectors in each direction (half a billion sectors total) which is already excessive. Why would starmade servers with a few dozen people ever need more ?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    50-wide galaxies means 800 sectors in each direction (half a billion sectors total) which is already excessive. Why would starmade servers with a few dozen people ever need more ?
    Because unless they change the jump gate, I could use it to cross the entire galaxy in 4 or less jumps on a 16 cubic system. Feels small. We already have an endless universe, why shouldn't it include large galaxies? People can already fly to distant planets with ease. They can fly farther than a 50 sector wide galaxy and run into stuff constantly. There would be lots of space in between those galaxies. Might force some players to stick around a bit instead of claiming a whole galaxy for themselves right off the bat. I'd say double the 16 system wide galaxies and see how that goes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Because people can then conquer galaxies ;)
    And they will, trust me on that. People will wage massive wars to own as much of a galaxy as possible. It just is something fun for people to do. It also will make them play the game longer.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't care too much about their size, I just wish they had different shapes

Reaction score
    What if they made planets much bigger, and the atmosphere itself much thicker. Have the atmosphere completely abscure the planet until you pass thru the planet. Start generating and or rendering the terrain once you actually enter the atmosphere or orbit of the planet.

That way the system is only loading some rather basic, non laggy atmospheres. They could make several generic ones that depict oxygen based atmospheres, for ones that have no atmosphere they could make the "atmosphere" surface look like plain rock for a dead planet.

Then when it does start rendering the planet, it could only render the top few layers until you start digging on it.
    Reducing the lag on this system would make it easier to introduce a functional background that depicts the actual stars and galaxies as they really exist in the universal map.

This way when you are floating around in one solar system you can look around and all the stars you see are actual stars, and the globed together clusters in the distance are far away galaxies that you can actually visit.

I'm iffy on how big a galaxy should be, it is entirely dependent on the final measurement of distance you can travel via jump drive, warp gate or warp drive.

Reactions: WaffulMann
    Reaction score
    What if they made planets much bigger, and the atmosphere itself much thicker. Have the atmosphere completely abscure the planet until you pass thru the planet. Start generating and or rendering the terrain once you actually enter the atmosphere or orbit of the planet.

That way the system is only loading some rather basic, non laggy atmospheres. They could make several generic ones that depict oxygen based atmospheres, for ones that have no atmosphere they could make the "atmosphere" surface look like plain rock for a dead planet.

Then when it does start rendering the planet, it could only render the top few layers until you start digging on it.
    Reducing the lag on this system would make it easier to introduce a functional background that depicts the actual stars and galaxies as they really exist in the universal map.

This way when you are floating around in one solar system you can look around and all the stars you see are actual stars, and the globed together clusters in the distance are far away galaxies that you can actually visit.

I'm iffy on how big a galaxy should be, it is entirely dependent on the final measurement of distance you can travel via jump drive, warp gate or warp drive.
    That's kinda half against what schema has in mind, but guys before you all tell him to go away keep in mind he's kinda new here.
    Now, schema said that he wanted to generally avoid planets being "separate" from the universe, as I so put it. Perhaps a simple shader that loads only 1 out of 10 blocks then magnifies that block can suffice, but what he really wants to avoid is something like the nether in Minecraft.

Plus, you can change planet side in the server config files, but I would recommend you have a powerful computer, as large planets are pretty much completely un-optimized and causes tons of lag.

Other that those, that is actually a very nice idea. The part about the functional background is fully supported by most of us, I think.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But I would like a thicker atmosphere for actual air-craft too.

Would it not be good if players have THE OPTION to play like "Minecraft with Air-Ships" if they set planet size high enough? I know, this is about space...

... but sometimes it's fun to play with air-friction and up/down but also in 3D.
    fun to always have some terrain below you which you can discover...

AFAIK the biggest down-side of minecraft is that you can't fly ships made of blocks (not even in atmosphere) contiously (does SpaceCraft delete/add-blocks-elsewhere?).

Reaction score
    guys question here
    do planets atmosphere sizes scale with planet size? Is it customizable?
    if not, why the f*ck not

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    guys question here
    do planets atmosphere sizes scale with planet size? Is it customizable?
    if not, why the f*ck not
    They don't. I assume that that and the atmosphere from on the planet will get fixed with the universe update. Or at least that's what I hope.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    galaxies, interesting, galactic empire in perspective, i have 25 000 empire star destroyer to build MOUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I agree with the proposition of an option to change size galaxy. i think a 25 sized galaxy by default would be a good option

@ToyotaSupra it seem you started a monstrous fire by your first post on this thread

by the way what is the block used in the vidéo to represent solar system ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It was definitely imbued with the green crystal (I don't know it's name). It also looks like it was the active processor of that green crystal.

Reaction score
    I think it's an interesting idea now that there are better ways to travel long distances, but as it is right now there's not much reason to explore out that far... more variety in universe generation might make this better.

Reaction score
    That's kinda half against what schema has in mind, but guys before you all tell him to go away keep in mind he's kinda new here.
    Now, schema said that he wanted to generally avoid planets being "separate" from the universe, as I so put it. Perhaps a simple shader that loads only 1 out of 10 blocks then magnifies that block can suffice, but what he really wants to avoid is something like the nether in Minecraft.

Plus, you can change planet side in the server config files, but I would recommend you have a powerful computer, as large planets are pretty much completely un-optimized and causes tons of lag.

Other that those, that is actually a very nice idea. The part about the functional background is fully supported by most of us, I think.
    Your post seems a little confusing to me. Guys before me tell him to go away? Are you under the impression i'm telling him to go away and fit into this category of guys who told him to go away?

My suggestion doesn't separate planets from space with a MC nether like loading portal in any fashion.
    It simply reduces the system's need to generate all the blocks at once and allows it to gradually generate as you go in a seemless transition from space, thru the atmosphere and onto the planet. No loading screens.

They purpose of this idea is so that people don't need super powerful computers in order to have planet sized, planets in the game by removing the culprit that causes large planet lag, while not only keeping the free transition between space and planet but improves it and the immersion of the transfer.

You seem to picture flying into the atmosphere and then being stopped with a loading screen. Which is not what my idea suggests at all. The more realistic atmosphere simply obscures the planet until you begin to enter the actual atmosphere. inside the atmosphere the game would then stop rendering objects in space, freeing up memeory and start rendering the surface of the planet. as oppossed to atempting to render space, the planet and everything at the core of the planet all at once.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm almost certain that schema will try to rework the planets as much as possible.
    @Amedeus I have two things to say:
    1. @WaffulMann is kind of right, people want to be able to shoot planets from afar and your atmosphere obscuring would kind of hinder that.
    2. The game can easily load the chunks as long as they don't load into the GPU. If it would still physically load them but not to the GPU this would work. Also, I think that the game should only render a maximum of six segments at a time (because the other six can't be seen unless someone blew whole chunks out of one).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it's an interesting idea now that there are better ways to travel long distances, but as it is right now there's not much reason to explore out that far... more variety in universe generation might make this better.
    There should be some rare celestial objects to discover that brings You some rare resources or sth like that.