What do you think of the planned galaxies?

How big do you think galaxies should be?

• Total voters

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I like the idea of conquering galaxies. Since the faction system will allow us to control planets I think they should be between 25 and 50 systems across by default. It should definitely be configurable somehow.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    HOLY SHIT those are awesome! I love the populated x1 and x2 orbits of the bars. Bars are special to me because my thesis work involves bars. Do you have and ellipticals? I know they're boring, but as an astrophysicist, I would feel bad if they were left out. Could you add a 2 armed spiral? And maybe some irregulars. I'm totally nerding out over this by the way. Great work. Personally I think they should be 200 blocks long. The milky way is about 200 kpc across. That is just a nice coincidence and with the new jump drives it would be fairly easy to navigate.

If you want any help with producing different kinds of galaxy structures let me know! This is something that I love seeing.

Reaction score
    Whew I will be most pleased with this, regardless of galaxy size.. awesome!

Suggestion: make it config-scaleable and everyone is happy :)

Reaction score
    HOLY SHIT those are awesome! I love the populated x1 and x2 orbits of the bars. Bars are special to me because my thesis work involves bars. Do you have and ellipticals? I know they're boring, but as an astrophysicist, I would feel bad if they were left out. Could you add a 2 armed spiral? And maybe some irregulars. I'm totally nerding out over this by the way. Great work. Personally I think they should be 200 blocks long. The milky way is about 200 kpc across. That is just a nice coincidence and with the new jump drives it would be fairly easy to navigate.

If you want any help with producing different kinds of galaxy structures let me know! This is something that I love seeing.
    Yes, well, actually, I found the models off sketchup, so I might have a bit of trouble finding other types. If bad comes to worse though I can always just make my own model. But aren't elliptical galaxies just basically giant round balls flattened a bit? Might be easy to recreate

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    The problem with making them scalable is that if you turn that size down you would be loosing sectors.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Soooo Just like no one makes sectors 10 meters long no one will make galaxies too small.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Thats not the point. The game shouldn't punish you for reducing it's size. That would be a major flaw.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Ok set a base limit then. Try to go past that limit it gets overrided.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    That doesnt change anything. If I have 5 systems in a row with player made objects in them, and then I set the universe to 1/5th, then four of those systems are completely gone. It doesn't work the same way as sector size because sector size just forces those objects closer to each other. They are not lost. Unless schema would do the same thing with systems. But really it sounds like a bad idea to have 4 suns and 30 planets in one system.

Reaction score
    OK, can someone explain it to me slowly and carefully, in idiot's English what these are? I can't sit through 5 minutes of crap techno music and laughing to find it out.

What do the models represent? What does it do? What is the answer to life, the universe and everything? Are we getting some kind of map block?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    OK, can someone explain it to me slowly and carefully, in idiot's English what these are? I can't sit through 5 minutes of crap techno music and laughing to find it out.

What do the models represent? What does it do? What is the answer to life, the universe and everything? Are we getting some kind of map block?
    Really? You had to be insulting? He explains it perfectly in like the first minute... It's a representation of what the new universe gen will look like.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I saw this yesterday. And I really only heard this:
    New minimap!
    Hyperdrive!
    Galaxies!
    Awesomeness!

Reaction score
    Nice models! Please forgive my little 16^3 galaxy hand made models :P the final size isn't decided yet, these will go nicely to showing what they could look like.

Reactions: aceface

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

I 100% agree, I do not understand why the mushroomfleet have become our only reliable source of whats new in the games. It would be nice if the devs them selves would tell us something without forcing a youtube channel down our throats.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This video was actually was really serious and explained it really well. I don't understand what the problem is.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I 100% agree, I do not understand why the mushroomfleet have become our only reliable source of whats new in the games. It would be nice if the devs them selves would tell us something without forcing a youtube channel down our throats.
    Because if the devs told anyone besides mushroomfleet, the forums would have a dozen posts for each bit of news. People would be scrambling to post news. Mushroomfleet has also been around for a long time. They do content solely based on starmade. And the devs actually know and trust those in mushroomfleet. Honestly if they were not there at all you wouldn't be getting anything till the update was pushed out. The devs do not really have the time to make a channel and manage posting this stuff. Schema is on a good roll. I wouldn't want him slowed down just so he could post video updates every few days. To top it off, MF has one of the largest if not the largest communities on their server. It hit's a lot more of the userbase that way.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This video was actually was really serious and explained it really well. I don't understand what the problem is.
    In this case, thankfully, yes, but ToyotaSupra still has a point... Some of the videos are a lot longer than they need to be and often full of random screwing around, which shouldn't happen until all the features are introduced.

Regardless, it's better than nothing.

Reaction score
    Seems like I kicked off a bit of trouble here. I didn't mean to be insulting to the Shroom fleet guys, I just didn't want to sit through a 5 minute video of people playing around with weird model things instead of reading a decent solid news post, or even a quick tweet.

You see, I'm in the same camp as @therimmer96 and possibly Ithirahad in that I dislike the whole 'we're screwing around, ha ha!' videos. But I understand that a lot of people do in fact enjoy those types of videos a lot, and they bring in some new blood as well. I also understand their relationship with the developers. We don't all have to agree on the same things.

Anyway, how about we forget about this and get back on track? We're getting galaxies it seems, well I wonder how this will look like in game? Might make some interesting multiplayer gameplay, especially for us with power fantasies of universal domination!! I just hope we get some new features to fill these new galaxies as well!