What do you think of the planned galaxies?

How big do you think galaxies should be?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It shouldn't be the whole procedural background. It should just be the galaxies. But having the actual stars display would be really cool.
    It also shouldn't lag that much. It will only have to once update every new system to work

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It also shouldn't lag that much. It will only have to once update every new system to work
    True. It would be really cool for navigation.

Thinking a bit more about it - wouldn't it be the very same code how usual games handle object meshes?
    A vertex-shader should do it really fast

Reaction score
    You know what I would like to see. The actual galaxy itself. Like, when we travel above the plane of the galaxy we should see some sort of indicator that could direct us towards it. Whether it be a faded image of a galaxy or some sort of glow. After all, if these things are flat, and lets say they take up 16 cubic systems of space, then about 4 or 5 of those would be the thickness. The rest would be empty space. Quite easy to get lost in and in reality we would be able to see the galaxy.
    YEAH!

This times a thousand or more!

It would be fabulous to replace the procedural background with the 'galaxy map' background which shows galaxies at a distance, this would make it easier to navigate in game too without the map because (as long as distant galaxies looked different based on their actual size and etc) you could see and travel towards them and such..

Actual astral navigation!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    YEAH!

This times a thousand or more!

It would be fabulous to replace the procedural background with the 'galaxy map' background which shows galaxies at a distance, this would make it easier to navigate in game too without the map because (as long as distant galaxies looked different based on their actual size and etc) you could see and travel towards them and such..

Actual astral navigation!
    Woah hold up. I like my procedural backgrounds. If they were to be changed then I would change them differently than what you stated. We could get an overall galaxy image that surrounds us when we are in a star system (stars only appear in the galaxies body anyway) This way we obviously know that we are in a galaxy. If we go to a void system we should be able to see what direction the galaxy is in. Then nebulae could be in nebula systems. OR we could have nebulae remain in star systems and void systems could get the galaxy overlay since they are meant to be black. I think the second option is better, even if the first one is more realistic.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think they were also thinking about adding nebulae. Maybe they would even go as far as displaying asteroid belts (once/if they are added). But I think that they will make you see nebula-like backgrounds when you are in a nebula, and other pretty things when you're in a starsystem.

Reaction score
    Everything needs to be bigger.

Planets need to be bigger, solar systems need to be bigger, the galaxy should be big, and the universe should be infinite procedural generated.

Make the planets like 50 times larger, space them out larger, make the jump drives capable of jumping between solar systems, a hundred or so solar systems in a galaxy, warp drives to go between galaxies and have the galaxies randomly generate.

So here is the idea. Hidden randomly generated maps.
    You start up a game, the game generates the solar system you start in.

A hidden map is generated for the galaxy that players can't see, it will pick were the stars randomly spawn based on the procedural math of how galaxies are formed and grow, so we don't have weird unrealistic galaxies.

Another hidden map is generated on the universal scale and it randomly generates the locations of the galaxies.

This way the universe maps out around the space your in, while the galaxy map determines were the stars will be located around you. So the hidden maps will use minimal resources and just figure out where stuff will be in the distance as you get closer to it. Much like how MC randomly generates terrain as you get closer, but its still based on a formula.

We can still have Warp Gates, and Warp Drives. The benefit of the Gate would be a set link, much like how it is now but it wouldn't require the charge up of a drive engine and would be more like a set highway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO LARGE PLANETS!!!!!
    IF YOU WANT LARGE PLANETS JUST CHANGE THE CONFIG BUT WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT TRY TO MAKE THEM BIGGER BY DEFAULT!!!!
    :mad:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!!!!! :confused:
    This is what I'm like when people suggest things that will break the game as it is in its current state.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO LARGE PLANETS!!!!!
    IF YOU WANT LARGE PLANETS JUST CHANGE THE CONFIG BUT WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT TRY TO MAKE THEM BIGGER BY DEFAULT!!!!
    :mad:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG!!!!! :confused:
    I don't know why the fuck they got rid of the disagree button, but... I disagree anyway. The reason larger planets lag terribly on non-godlike systems is that they don't have any specific optimization... Even the new occlusion culling, which works wonders on massive ships (which are large single entites) doesn't apply to planets the way it ought to because they're made composed of SEVERAL large performance-eating entities... The result is that the engine renders any player-facing chunks of ANY and ALL segments that are within view range (which can be pretty far), and are loaded. The result is indeed ludicrous amounts of lag, but it can be fixed.

(Indeed, I'd rather a different approach be used for planets altogether, whether that be instances (which isn't going to happen) or... something else entirely (which this isn't the thread to talk about) but...)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Great idea :D
    It's now undoubt that hyperdrives will be usefull.
    But what I'm waiting for is to go into galaxy center :D

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Guys. If you think the planets are small, then get off your ship go down there and start playing survival for a few hours. You'll get lost and you will have hardly scratched the surface. Played survival with like 10 other people and our base is tiny and we only worked on one plate. Planets are fine. They do not need to be bigger.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Guys. If you think the planets are small, then get off your ship go down there and start playing survival for a few hours. You'll get lost and you will have hardly scratched the surface. Played survival with like 10 other people and our base is tiny and we only worked on one plate. Planets are fine. They do not need to be bigger.
    You should try to change planet size in settings to 1000. It looks awesome :D

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You should try to change planet size in settings to 1000. It looks awesome :D
    ...And laggy due to lack of optimization. Laggy in every sense. Slow FPS, slow loading...
    However, with optimization, yeah, they could be awesome. And:

No. Personally, I only get lost because of disorientation from strange gravity mechanics (or, more accurately, bad player position handling) but it isn't that hard to explore and know an entire planet. Sure, I might not work all across the entire surface, but it's a PLANET. Not an asteroid. Planets aren't for one person to entirely use, or even ten people. That's more along the lines of a small asteroid... And indeed, the current gravity would agree. :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I have a question for the devs about this new system. Strangely enough not about the galaxies themselves—

We'll be traveling to Galaxies, but what about the intergalactic void in between? Will we be able to stop in the middle where there should be nothing? Strangely enough I can see some gameplay opportunities for intergalactic voids. Aside from that just the thought of seeing the galactic disk like in that Star Trek episode where the Kelvans hijack the Enterprise is a pretty cool novelty.

Reactions: Lecic and Ithirahad

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I have a question for the devs about this new system. Strangely enough not about the galaxies themselves—

We'll be traveling to Galaxies, but what about the intergalactic void in between? Will we be able to stop in the middle where there should be nothing? Strangely enough I can see some gameplay opportunities for intergalactic voids. Aside from that just the thought of seeing the galactic disk like in that Star Trek episode where the Kelvans hijack the Enterprise is a pretty cool novelty.
    Yes there will be massive amounts of empty and possibly dangerous space in between.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Guys. If you think the planets are small, then get off your ship go down there and start playing survival for a few hours.
    Or run some races ;) in all seriousness though the planet's do vary in size, but if you get a medium or large sized planet you can easily get lost. The thing to keep in mind though is that not all planets are the same size, you may find a small one, but there are larger ones out there.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Or run some races ;) in all seriousness though the planet's do vary in size, but if you get a medium or large sized planet you can easily get lost. The thing to keep in mind though is that not all planets are the same size, you may find a small one, but there are larger ones out there.
    I like all the planets. I am just not interested in them currently. Along with the new galaxy design, better solar systems would be nice. Also about your signature, did you know you could link it to your channel?