What do you think of the planned galaxies?

How big do you think galaxies should be?

• Total voters

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    You see, I'm in the same camp as @therimmer96 and possibly Ithirahad in that I dislike the whole 'we're screwing around, ha ha!' videos. But I understand that a lot of people do in fact enjoy those types of videos a lot, and they bring in some new blood as well. I also understand their relationship with the developers. We don't all have to agree on the same things.
    Personally, I don't mind the screwing-around-with-stuff videos, but they are not a substitute for a real feature introduction/preview video. If there is any messing around in those videos, it should happen after all of the features are given a proper introduction and (if applicable) how to use them is clearly shown. Otherwise, you're just wasting the time of people who don't want to watch some guys warping back and forth between gates making jokes and Spaceballs references.

...Regardless, as for the galaxies themselves, I like the 200-sector one, since it isn't too implausibly huge to cross, but it is also large enough to feel like a galaxy. The ones shown in the video just seem... tiny. :|

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    One thing that is inevitably going to be implemented is a way to conquer galaxies. Factions will try to claim as many as possible, and really, really, really big wars will be thought (hopefully). And, as I said:
    A better minimap! (It was mentioned in the video.)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    You know what I would like to see. The actual galaxy itself. Like, when we travel above the plane of the galaxy we should see some sort of indicator that could direct us towards it. Whether it be a faded image of a galaxy or some sort of glow. After all, if these things are flat, and lets say they take up 16 cubic systems of space, then about 4 or 5 of those would be the thickness. The rest would be empty space. Quite easy to get lost in and in reality we would be able to see the galaxy.

Reaction score
    You know what I would like to see. The actual galaxy itself. Like, when we travel above the plane of the galaxy we should see some sort of indicator that could direct us towards it. Whether it be a faded image of a galaxy or some sort of glow. After all, if these things are flat, and lets say they take up 16 cubic systems of space, then about 4 or 5 of those would be the thickness. The rest would be empty space. Quite easy to get lost in and in reality we would be able to see the galaxy.
    That might be easy to do for large galaxies, just make a system a big shiny dot and add some blur and dust clouds.

Reaction score
    I wouldn't mind the devs doing, say, a weekly or fortnightly dev blog in the same style as the DayZ dev team:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208484-devblog-status-report-week-of-18-august-14/

Just a quick update on planned features. Doesn't have to be long. I don't mind watching Mushroom Fleet videos, but I'd prefer just a straight up paragraph on what's going on. News posts aren't exactly common, after all, and they don't usually go over planned features or experimental ideas like this video does.

In regards to the galaxy thing - it's pretty neat. I have my sectors at, like, 10000 across. I barely ever leave 2,2,2 (on the occasion that I play. I've just gotten back into StarMade... maybe my muliplayer will work now. No?) but given that galaxies are being introduced I think the world is going to become a whole lot bigger.

However, before I see galaxies there's a few features I'd want to see first:

- Actual solar systems. Sun in the center, desert/ lava worlds closest, the occasional Earth-like/ alien world in the middle and ice planets at the very edge. Maybe even things like asteroid belts, nebulas and gas giants.

- Sector-sector transitions smoothed. It's not as bad as it used to be, but I'm always seeing shots ping off in random directions while my shields tick down.

- More sector options. I want to be able to configure the distance between systems and the frequency of planets in systems.

It's mostly small things, but I think they'd really complement the implementation of galaxies, especially if galaxies are also customisable.

Also, would there be something different in the galactic core? The Chaos gods, perhaps...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    http://sm40k.enjin.com/forum/m/20737311/viewthread/15471134-lets-build-warpgate-system/page/1

Starmade40k said:
    So warpgates have been added to the game (As well as jump drives! AWESOME!)

How do you think we should approach this? Should we seek inspiration in the official 40k starmap?

To replicate this galaxy, especially south Segmentum Pacificus, the galaxy needs to be 100 - 150 system size (if each planet is in a separate system)

I think galaxies should have less systems at their border - a fall-off calculated with ((d=thisPosition -centre) - (d=innermostPosition - centre)) * PI
    Systems should also be less common in-between spiral-arms.

Please notice that 100 systems across == 10'000 possibleSystems(in xz) * ? possibleSystems(in y) / systemDensity

systemDensity is how many occupied spots for a solar systems there are in a grid vs how many not occupied spots for a solar system.
    It should limit the number of systems to 1'000 in my opinion.
    That means that there is about 1 system in a 2x2x2 cube == 2 in spiral arms and 0 in-between these (average!)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I think galaxies should have less systems at their border - a fall-off calculated with ((d=thisPosition -centre) - (d=innermostPosition - centre)) * PI
    Systems should also be less common in-between spiral-arms.
    Those two things were already confirmed. Less stars in between arm and on the edge. They also stated that it would get progressively more dangerous the further from the center you are.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Because if the devs told anyone besides mushroomfleet, the forums would have a dozen posts for each bit of news. People would be scrambling to post news. Mushroomfleet has also been around for a long time. They do content solely based on starmade. And the devs actually know and trust those in mushroomfleet. Honestly if they were not there at all you wouldn't be getting anything till the update was pushed out. The devs do not really have the time to make a channel and manage posting this stuff. Schema is on a good roll. I wouldn't want him slowed down just so he could post video updates every few days. To top it off, MF has one of the largest if not the largest communities on their server. It hit's a lot more of the userbase that way.
    A simple official news post, or offical video from the devs that details the new things would be sufficient. Even just updating the twitter daily with what has been worked on.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    A simple official news post, or offical video from the devs that details the new things would be sufficient. Even just updating the twitter daily with what has been worked on.
    I feel like schema wants his updates to be surprises. He does well with taking in the feedback and the dev build releases allow him to make changes before final release. Chances are he will go over things again if need be from what I am hearing. We got this far without daily updates. It would be nice but it's really all up to schema and if he doesn't feel the need then oh well.

To the actual topic of the OP, I'm thinking that somewhere between 50 and 100 system wide galaxies would be pretty good. That's enough room for multiple factions to fight over.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    They should also have random angles, and maybe a really big and deadly ship destroying black hole in the middle four sectors (the power reactors in the video), if that isn't going to be added.

Reaction score
    these new galaxys are the best invention since the chocolate cake

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nope. Chocolate cake stole the identity from a cake. The cake is a lie (or fraud, whatever you prefer). ;)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I 100% agree, I do not understand why the mushroomfleet have become our only reliable source of whats new in the games. It would be nice if the devs them selves would tell us something without forcing a youtube channel down our throats.
    THANK GOD, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE

Edit: If shroomfleet was in any way an official subsidiary of Schine this wouldn't be that much of an issue; however all I'm seeing is the devs forcing us to subscribe to this channel. This would be like Obama giving his State of the Union addresses from the set of SNL.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I do not see the problem with MF. Tamino obviously loves SM and invests time to make cool videos for us. Time Schema can use for programming. It is good for SM to have a youtuber make such videos.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I do not see the problem with MF. Tamino obviously loves SM and invests time to make cool videos for us. Time Schema can use for programming. It is good for SM to have a youtuber make such videos.
    Their videos are really bloated. I usually have them on in the background while doing other things to be honest. I don't think that's really a bad thing either, just some people want "just the facts". Personally, I would prefer that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I agree. Having dedicated Youtubers like that is great. It's just that often their feature intro/tutorial videos are bloated with randomness and toying around with things. It's fun to watch sometimes, but sometimes I (and others) just don't want to watch them do that.

Reaction score
    A community-run dev blog with the editor going through MF videos and extracting the important parts and putting it into words would be nice.
    But we're getting off topic guys. There's gonna be galaxies!

Reaction score
    I hope we'll be able to see all the stars of our current galaxy from any star in that galaxy

That and I hope there's a few empty "galaxy slots" in between galaxies so the universe is more organic

Reaction score
    I hope we'll be able to see all the stars of our current galaxy from any star in that galaxy

That and I hope there's a few empty "galaxy slots" in between galaxies so the universe is more organic
    Oh man, the procedural background could be replaced with actual in-game stars. That'd be incredible.