We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    hey for the uni-matrix you could build a station with huge docking ports and extend the station through docked "station modueles" it could make it cost less and more modular like the Borg, for instance someone might want more factory space so he would buy more factory modules than other ones.and each moduale has docking ports on it to extent the station even more
    You can't put factories on ships, so no modules for that. :\

(However, things like storage and defensive modules might work.)

Reaction score
    Out of curiosity, do you have MipMapping enabled in the Advanced options? [Texture 2D Mipmap]
    Your screen shot looks unusually noisy.
    I'm not sure I will check next time I'm on, what does that setting do?

hey for the uni-matrix you could build a station with huge docking ports and extend the station through docked "station modueles" it could make it cost less and more modular like the Borg, for instance someone might want more factory space so he would buy more factory modules than other ones.and each moduale has docking ports on it to extent the station even more
    Hey Farel, I actually had that planned out from the start, in fact before I reduced the clutter in my main post, there was an item in the stations tab called "Modular Drone Cube" to be used within the Unicomplex, can't put factories in them as was already said, but I've got some cool ideas how to use them.

Making most of the unicomplex out of them though, that wont happen. The curret theory for the unicomplex is that the majority of it will be one absolutely colossal station, comprised of individual structures linked together with those enormous pipey connectors you see in the real thing. My theory is for it to be an almost sector sized mega station, but we will see how that works out with technical limitations.

Reaction score
    Mipmapping will blur textures at a distance preventing sharp texture noise. The link to an image below will help show it.
    It may be on already, it's just the latest screen shot looked a little noisy so i thought i'd check. Thats all :)

http://libcinder.org/docs/v0.8.4/images_mipmapCompare.png
    http://libcinder.org/docs/v0.8.4/images_mipmapCompare.png
    I have all those 4 texture options set to "ON" (2D compression, Array compression, 2D Mipmapping, Array Mipmapping), is it best to have them on or off for sharper/cleaner images at distance? Since the majority of my builds are pretty large I am always going quite far out to get an all-inclusive picture.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Leave them all on, thats default settings and probably for the best. :)

Reaction score
    Some more WIP pics, really enjoying building this one so far. :D

Keep in mind the rooms and hallways being made out of black hull is just a placeholder to get the internal framework in place, I'll go back through and decorate it appropriately later. Relative to it's size and my previous builds, this one will have a LOT more internal walkable space.

Warp core room - experimental multi-chamber core design.

Shield generator room. Has two levels with the lower one also going to lead to weapons access.

Top view of internal work so far.

Reaction score
    So whilst browsing around for some build inspiration, I stumbled upon this. It's concept art for the Borg ship that attacks Earth in the movie Star Trek: First Contact, it's a "tetragon" instead of the usual cube and was almost approved for use in the movie until the producers changed their minds last minute.

It looks freaking amazing, I'm adding it in as a fourth "titan" sized vessel I will build! (eventually)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Or as intended a hangar for a Borg Sphere

Reaction score
    Reports from the central nexus database indicate the prototype bomber vessel has entered it's final phase of development; weapons testing.

A Mark-I Immortal Cube was lost during the initial firing of a new enhanced Bio-Molecular Warhead system, along with an entire production facility and 87,000 Drones, the Queen deems this an acceptable loss.

This technology, assimilated from a Romulan science vessel and enhanced with Borg Nano-probes, appears to have been developed primarily as a deterrent to Species 8472.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Er, I thought that bio-molecular torpedoes wouldn't really be useful, unless you intended to simply destroy a planet's life forms... which is counterproductive. Even if they did work on nonorganics, they wouldn't be much better than a standard quantum torpedo... Unless you're butchering the lore a slight bit? Which I have no issue with, seeing as the writers do it sometimes too. :p

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    -redacted for being somewhat of an asshole-

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ...Er, I thought that bio-molecular torpedoes wouldn't really be useful, unless you intended to simply destroy a planet's life forms... which is counterproductive. Even if they did work on nonorganics, they wouldn't be much better than a standard quantum torpedo... Unless you're butchering the lore a slight bit? Which I have no issue with, seeing as the writers do it sometimes too. :p
    Was just a bit of RP fun, and since when is a quantum torpedo something to sneer at? :p (I'm not actually building missiles capable of decimating an Immortal-sized ship and a station in 1 hit, just doing some fun technobabble! :D ) Also the bio-molecular warheads I was randomly talking about are designed for use against the Undine (Species 8472) bioships, so very very effective!

Building a titan borg cube is going to be really easy actually:
    1. Advanced build mode to build panels for the cube in 6 clicks.
    2. Adding some detail on top (some random clicking using black hull and green lights and possibly some armor plates).
    3. Interiors will be a bit trickier but it's manageable since a cube has TONS of interior space.
    4. Place in power systems, weapons, thrust and shield systems.
    5. Fill in all the interiors with a random block (like purple lights or dirt).
    6. Fill up the rest with shields using advanced build mode set to the dimensions of the cube (in a single click, lol)
    7. Use the remove tool to only remove the random block used to fill the interiors, again in a single click.
    Voila, you now have a borg cube in seven easy steps (well, depends on the complexity of the interior). This can be applied for any sized cube.
    I'm used to people taking a shit on my work, so I usually just let this kind of demeaning stuff slide off without rising to the bait, but in this case I'd like to point out that while you are correct about the basics of constructing a cube, I'm building actual replica's of existing ships in the Trek universe here (for the most part) so the hull design is far more complicated than you make out, that and the greebling process of the underlying black hull cover takes quite some time even though it's simple. Then I tactically choose where to place each of my systems, and consider what kind of interior I want and how much of it, the end product is not a solid cube of blocks, I don't "fill in every available bit of space with shields" at all.

Thanks for your input, though.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    yup, something you might want to try is in STO they have a set of items, borg set, that basicly borgs the ships, you could look that up and maybe build various ships using that basis after your other builds

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wowowowowowowow!!! I just stated that building a borg ship, even if it's cannon, is easier than other ships (and it is, especially since its a remake). In no way dis I take a shit on your work. In fact, I actually like the first cube that is shown on the OP.

Seriously, I didn't get offended when you said "slapped a couple of random shapes together" on my own thread (even if it was pretty f****** insulting). No where did I state that it wasn't nice, or looked bad. So why are you reacting so defensively?

Reaction score
    Wowowowowowowow!!! I just stated that building a borg ship, even if it's cannon, is easier than other ships (and it is, especially since its a remake). In no way dis I take a shit on your work. In fact, I actually like the first cube that is shown on the OP.

Seriously, I didn't get offended when you said "slapped a couple of random shapes together" on my own thread (even if it was pretty f****** insulting). No where did I state that it wasn't nice, or looked bad. So why are you reacting so defensively?
    Because what you said was incredibly demeaning to my work, implying that anyone could do what I'm doing in 10 minutes and zero effort. I don't think you realise the actual amount of time put in behind the scenes. Sure, building a "cube" doesn't take as long as building a complicated shape, but that doesn't mean the actual design process of the rest is any less difficult.

And as for what I said about your ship, I wasn't trying to say your work sucks, or you're bad at building or whatever, I was just saying that those particular "wings" looked bad attached to that specific ship (which they do, looked far better before you put them on), I love your ship and I think you are a very skilled builder. I didn't come into your thread and completely mitigate your work by saying how easy it is to build a ship, and giving a step by step guide to copying what you're doing. A very flawed and misleading guide I might add.

Quite frankly I'm tired of this, constantly having to defend what I'm doing against a community who don't like a certain shape, is it my fault that my favourite race happens to build cube shaped ships? I'm doing what I enjoy, if you don't like it, or consider it simple and un-entertaining, just don't visit my thread.

Yes I realise you probably didn't mean what you said as bad as I took it, but honestly, it doesn't mater, you just wrote probably the worst thing you could ever say to a Starmade ship builder right in the middle of my public thread.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yes I realise you probably didn't mean what you said as bad as I took it, but honestly, it doesn't mater, you just wrote probably the worst thing you could ever say to a Starmade ship builder right in the middle of my public thread.
    I am sorry, I didn't realise to how hurtful my post was (and you're right, it was). It has been redacted.

I hope that you will forgive me.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hey all, just posting an update as to where I am with my building status.

I have a couple of ships *almost* ready to release, both at around 98% completion, those being the bomber ship and the assimilated Isanth Type-Zero. However I'm still not entirely convinced on the stability of these builds coming out recently, so I'm not gonna be finishing them entirely and releasing until I feel a bit more comfortable that they aren't going to get shit on by a game changing patch a few days later and rendered useless, yet again.

In the meantime, I spent a couple of hours starting the long time coming Unicomplex build this evening. At the moment I've just finished the super-structure skeleton for the station at the core of the complex, which will house the main computer core for the collective hive mind. Tomorrow I'm going to create a "power station" structure skeleton attached to it via one of those long pipe-like things, then over the next week or so I'll be filling out the skeletons and detailing the outer hulls of each station.

These are just the first two of many planned stations to be included into the Unicomplex, also, the vast majority of the structures in the build will all be linked together at one point or another by the pipey connectors, and since they will be a faction homebase, they have no need for shields. I will leave large areas open and available to build shields though should the game mechanics change in the future and cause homebases to lose their invulnerability.

There will be the occasional station that is still part of the unicomplex, but a separated entity, these ones will definitely be well shielded, since they wont share the main structure's invulnerability.

There will be quite a few of the "power station" structures dotted around the complex, basically copy pasted stations, to generate and store the absolutely immense amount of energy needed to run the complex' defense turrets (and maybe future shielding).

I wont be building any interiors until I have a good chunk of the unicomplex already complete, or I get a random urge to just do some, but I will be releasing the build as a sector export whenever I finish a new station addition, so anyone who downloads it is free to put in their own interior, but the fully finished product will definitely be fully designed internally and externally.

To give you a rough view of what I'm aiming for visually, see these pics. It will incorporate some of the Transwarp Apeture thingies of the second picture, sort of like a mix between a Unicomplex and a Transwarp Hub.

Reactions: Darth Cestual

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Sounds pretty cool, will you be going for a borg "assimilated" look or 100% borg built station?