VFW Ship Design Contest! A winner is YOU!

Reaction score
    Since ASB expanded into heavy industries, I\'m afraid that under these circumstances I don\'t think I can enter a submission. Regardless, you\'re doing great as usual Vec, and loving the corvette Sven!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here is my entry. It is supposed to be a support corvette, but with the right modifications its cargospace can be used to hold a quite nice armament. Or a few drones. Whatever you want. It has some space for interieur, but I thought that you want to modify it by yourself. The engines are a bit small I guess, and its still too big (~80-90m long). Just check it out and say what you think about it :)

The download can be found here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But it\'s time for bed and I have something mostly finished:

I like to call it Deathwing, but that\'s probably too dramatic...heh.

In any case, some pictures...

---------------------------------

Edit to add ship download links:

Ship download

Small Turret (Foward mounts) download

Medium Turret download

---------------------------------

Ship stats:

Cheek cannon (x2):

Nose cannon (x2):

Wingtip cannon (x4):

View from below and slightly behind:

Frontal view from above:

View of ship from behind and slightly above:

View of entry hatch/docking bay doors:

View of docking bay/lower deck, just after entering via hatch - I may install a small docking area, but I\'m not sure there is room:

Entering the bridge, plexstorage x2 on either side of the ramp:

View of bridge/control room in it\'s current state (may make some tweaks) - Forward weapons computer fires nose and cheek cannon, aft weapons computer fires wingtip cannon - also, the ice crystal rows cover power lines:

Wingtip Cannon firing:

View in build mode, showing turret docking areas:

View of the one turret I installed on the forward belly mount:

Made a medium turret for the other mount - perhaps too low-slung though, I don\'t think the rear turret could fire past the front...

Edit: It isn\'t apparent from the images (because I hid the innards behind hull plating and Tainium), but power generation and storage veins run from the fantail down the full length of the ship, and into the wings.

I marked the power generation lines with ice crystal blocks, so from the bridge you can tell where they are located, at least partially. The central vein runs from the fantail drive almost to the nose, and down the center of either wing.

Edit 2: I decided to see if a docking module would fit inside my ship - it does, but only if I cut a hole in the bridge floor, and rip some of the internal bulkheads out - to make it more asthetic, I would need to reposition one of the weapons computers...

As you see:

Reaction score
    Upscaling the Forte is as legitimate a tactic as downscaling the Dirge! It certainly packs a punch.

Reaction score
    First off! A fine, if unconventional design! Looks a bit Romulan, wot?

To upload a ship, make sure it\'s saved as a blueprint in game. Then, exit the game and start the launcher. Uplink your username to starmade by hitting the uplink button and logging in with your forum username and password.

After that, click on the \"tools\" menu at the top and select the catalog manager. You can import/export ships from here. :D

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hmmm, based on some of these submissions I think I\'ve built more of a gunboat, which is as far as I know is a fast attack craft that is smaller than a frigate but larger than a corvette.

Reaction score
    Got most of the hull done. I may have ended up with a light cruiser on accident...

Reaction score
    I\'ve learned that ships with pre-installed faction modules tend not to load correctly when purchased from the catalog. Please remove any faction blocks for the turrets/hulls of your submissions before submitting them please! Otherwise I cannot see them and pass my awful, awful judgement upon them.

Reaction score
    Pictures -> http://imgur.com/a/B52mP

Submission -> http://star-made.org/node/9860#comment-46095

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was attempting to base it kinda off a bird, but then I realized I would have no room for a fantail drive, so...

Edit: Updated submission with download links.

When I\'m in a humorous mood, I call that ship the \"death chicken\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Due to recent financial hardships, the Sprocketeers have decided to cancel the planned mass production of the SPK-BusinessEnd combat space vehicle, and instead repaint and submit our testing prototype as a contest entry in order to win back our research costs. Allow me to give you a tour.

The ship\'s length checks in at exactly 75 meters, luckily enough. It has been remarked by some nerd in R&D that, at certain angles, the ship\'s front can resemble the face of a barroth.

Here is a photo taken by a satellite moments before explosively impacting the windshield. In it you can see all of the ship\'s weapons systems: a pair of side-mounted missile piles, a single fixed antimatter cannon below the main fuselage, and a dual-cannon turret above it.

The ship was created as an attempt to reproduce the efficiency of the VFW fantail drive in-house. Unfortunately, the decision to include three of such drives made the ship prohibitively expensive for manufacturing, so only this one was ever built. Please note that the Sprocketeer logo was already cut into the plating before the decision was made to submit it for consideration here; our mechanics quickly flipped the drives around to face the logos inwards, but could not hide them completely in the time given.

While this method was originally a strict trade secret, we can now reveal that the turret used here is not anchored directly at its base, but is rather quantumally tethered to a small pivot between the two higher engines.

This means that, when controlled by a reasonably competent pilot, the gun can actually avoid incoming enemy fire independent of the main ship, reducing the need for shielding and increasing available space for firepower.

This space has instead been utilized to make the gun glow and look kinda cool.

Here is a clearer picture of the fixed cannon. As you can see, it runs much of the length of the ship, and is lightly armored in order to favor firepower. This is definitely not because it was stripped from a larger ship and bolted on.

Also seen here is the left-side missile pile. Notice that the grating here runs the same direction as its opposite, rather than mirrored as it would be had it been copied symmetrically. This was a great engineering challenge for our team, and we are quite proud of it.

The entry door on either side of the ship is recessed, placing a meter of dense hull plating between the opening and the ion vent above it. We found that this arrangement reduces incidents of accidental depressurization by nearly four percent.

The ship core is near the entrance for easy crew access, but is still shielded with a layer of hull plating in case of accidental depressurization and subsequent interior exposure.

The interior comprises little more than a medium-length hallway with access to various internal systems, which were left open on purpose and certainly not as a result of budget cuts.

Accessible from this section are power storage and generation, as well as a small window into the missile pile on each side of the ship. Recommend reloading missiles only one at a time.

Some film of our tour is missing. Suffice it to say that the cockpit contains the weapons computers, and that the missile piles are separated onto two systems, in order to help mitigate the hopeless dread that sets in when all missile launchers are on cooldown at once.

Thank you for choosing our entry as this contest\'s winner. We eagerly await our hefty cash prize.

Full-size gallery

Download

Reaction score
    Fantail drives at 45 degrees? Yes!

More pictures -> http://imgur.com/a/10W0F

Ship -> http://star-made.org/node/9891#comment-46182

Reaction score
    A wealth of creativity is a pleasing gift indeed! Thank you for your entry.

Reaction score
    Yet more astounding creativity and novel implementation of our assets. We appreciate your entry!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Some joker down in prototype department 735 didn\'t think we would notice that he painted one of our standard corvettes yellow and strapped a fantail to the back and expected to pass it off for this lucrative contract. Said employee has since been fired... from one of our spatial artillery cannons...

Reaction score
    Extreme Values! Employees make for cost-effective ammunition if you can fire them at sufficiently high velocities!