Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Guys, I can't code. Not without a proper modding API. Then I have all that stuff to learn.

Reaction score
    How much code would be required to implement a junction with a single plane of rotation? The hinge block would effectively be a core, but one that is unable to tilt up and down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I like the idea overall. I think turrets deserve as little shielding as possible to be honest, so I think each individual segment should have its own shielding determined by how many blocks the segment itself has, instead of the entire turret structure sharing all their shield blocks. Having these kinds of blocks would make a lot of fun ideas a reality, especially if they can be applied in ways not related to turrets and just general movement.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I feel that this would get too complicated and that it would limit creativity. A much easier solution would just be to make turrets unable to clip too far on the relative y-axis.

Reaction score
    I feel that this would get too complicated and that it would limit creativity. A much easier solution would just be to make turrets unable to clip too far on the relative y-axis.
    That changes per ship unless you want to limit ships that don't have anything obstructing the turret too. Otherwise what you're asking for (Turrets detecting other blocks for range of movement) is pretty much a half-done version of this but clipping is still there and making ship turrets look bad.

In the end the option suggested in the OP can give nearly as much creative freedom as the system we currently have (if not loads more with design/fuction possibilities) and resolve pretty much every problem people have with turrets (Minus the way they handle shields).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I feel that this would get too complicated and that it would limit creativity.
    The way turrets work currently could be left in place as default, and advanced builders could opt for using the more realistic turrets.

A much easier solution would just be to make turrets unable to clip too far on the relative y-axis.
    This would require constant collision calculations all the time and would be hard to code as well.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would require constant collision calculations all the time and would be hard to code as well.
    No, it wouldn't. All you'd have to do is code a certain angle at which turrets may maximum go down (about 10 - 20 degrees) and a maximum angle at which it may go up (180 degrees).

Reaction score
    Question: Are you against the whole suggestion, or do you just not want turrets to clip? Because the suggestion (iirc) includes that barrels should not clip through anything, nor should the turret itself. Well, of course the barrel needs to clip through the body of its own turret, but only up to, as you mentioned, certain amount of degrees.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm against the suggestion in general, and I don't mind turrets clipping, as long as they don't shoot me from the other side of a station through the station (so limit clipping by a certain amount degrees on the vertical axis).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No, it wouldn't. All you'd have to do is code a certain angle at which turrets may maximum go down (about 10 - 20 degrees) and a maximum angle at which it may go up (180 degrees).
    Lol, 180° up, it was 45° last time I checked, and like 10° down, if at all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Where is it like that?
    EDIT: in the y axis ill add, ie looking upwards
    funny you may have just been tired but if you turn a turret 180 degrees it is flipped upside down. Angles are measured from the turrets "rest position" ie facing forward parallel to the ship.

45 degrees from that seems and also means that if you don't build turrets wisely you end up with large gaps above and below in turret coverage. This might also mean we can have higher turret accuracy again, this idea is looking pretty great.

Reaction score
    Why are you against the suggestion in general then? It makes turrets more effecient, more realistic and it also offers way more options than the current system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just am against it. I feel that the current turrets are fine, but they do need some tweeking. But a major change like this is, IMO, not welcome.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Before this discussion continues, I would like to point out that since FB's main argument for disliking this suggestion is now "I just do", it's not going to produce anything useful, or convince either party. I suggest you keep the exchange up as a guise for bumping, but don't expect to achieve anything besides that.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You know, secretely I do like this suggestion. I just ame everyone THINK I'm against it to keep this discussion alive (I'm serious about that, just re-read the thread post, actually like it now.)
    Only thing I'd change (if I actually cared about this thread, which I for the sake of keeping this thread alive, I don't) is that the turret body is allowed to clip as long as the turret in it's default position has at least 1 block of air between it and the ship. So like this:
    a=air s=ship t=turret
    a a a s s s a a a
    a s s a a a s s a
    s a a t t t a a s
    s a t t t t t a s

This setup would allow clipping. Since the weapon isn't in the body (let's make that a thing, that weapons can't be in the turret body) it should be fine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The weapons wouldn't necessarily have to be in the barrel, but they shouldn't be able to be fired while they're not. Let me rephrase that. Weapons won't have to be in the barrel, but they would only fire through that barrel. Because I wanted clipping of the body that is, we don't want turrets shooting through walls.