Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    >Weapons cannot fire unless they are partly in the barrel

Will add to OP in weekend, don't have access to photoshop at the minute.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just a question:
    Do you think that it is the best of ideas to completely remove clipping for the turret body? Do you even thing thst that will be possible without creating major lag? (Not being mean or anything, I seriously want to know if it would be possible).

Reaction score
    I don't know, I know large turrets will have trouble with lag so I'll have to think it over. I mean, clipping with this mechanic is already better than the current mechanic because half the turret won't be in the ship.

Reaction score
    If at some point we lose the need for a core block, and instead get controller blocks, imagine the possibilities...

Tying a group of turrets to a fire control block in which you have a free camera, allowing you to aim and fire them in sync would look so epic.

Reaction score
    If at some point we lose the need for a core block, and instead get controller blocks, imagine the possibilities...

Tying a group of turrets to a fire control block in which you have a free camera, allowing you to aim and fire them in sync would look so epic.
    This would be amazing...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    this thread remind me of my suggestion about planetary vehicle and mecha, i desperately wanted the opinion of the dev but none never responded :(

to get back in topic i totally agree this suggestion

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Because half-spiders are more important.
    Half spiders already existed, they were just give some already existing AI from angry NPCs and made to spawn in stations using the existing code for pirate waves.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd say implement the two-segment turrets now and worry about clipping or no clipping later once the bugs are worked out of the basics. Just let them clip for the time being.

In the long run, this would probably be the least laggy solution:
    • Body may clip
    • Barrel may clip into body
    • Barrel may not clip into anything else.
    This prevents the turret from firing through walls, but cuts the collision calculations in half compared to a full-on "no clipping" solution. Turret bodies clipping might still look dumb, but that's up to the starship engineer to prevent or exploit. ("exploit" intended in a positive light in this case)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Valiant70 that is exactly what I'd like to see and what I tried to say. I assume you want the weapons to fire through the barrels? I feel we should have an extra block in that case that we can link to the computer and have the weapons fire through that. More of those blocks means more bullets, and less damage per bullet.

Would that be a good idea? There would have to be some changes to linking though, or maybe to how the turret parts are connected to not make them count as seperate entities.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Of course the weapons would fire through the barrels. I think at the very least, the entirety of the primary weapon system should be placed in the barrel, while support systems and effects could reasonably be placed in the main body.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That actually is a way better idea.
    I assume everyone noticed by now that I am against the complete non-existance of clipping. What @Valiant70 suggested is how it should definitely be, as we then get the best of both ideas.

One more thing: the turret barrel should have a set range at which it can turn (which naturally is vertically), to avoid it clipping too far. I'm thinking inbetween -5 and -10 degrees and then 85 degrees (negative is down, positive is up). It's not 90 degrees because that would make turrets have no blind spot, which would be terrible for gameplay.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think the weapon blocks should be able to be on the barrel and the body, but the output for the weapons should need to be on the barrel. Or, you could have the output on the body or the barrel? The body can still only rotate along one axis.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Perhaps the hinges for the barrel/output could be rotated, and have a fairly tight restriction on possible firing arcs.

That way we'd have a reason to use forward facing barrels or upwards facing barrels in different situations.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But the body can clip through structures in my and @Valiant70 's idea, so that wouldn't work (for us) @Lecic .
    So just make it so the body can't clip? The body is only moving along a single plane, not three dimensionally. The barrels and body both can't clip the mothership. Why shouldn't people be able to make turrets that only rotate along a single axis, if they wanted that for some reason?