Recognized Turrets system with Pictures - [ Poll]

This?

• Yes, this

• No, not this

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    Oh really? I would like to know of this simpler way to have the barrel move without the turret than simply placing a block that marks the axis.

Reaction score
    Turrets could share only a small part of ships shields so they still could get shot down by fighters (Freespace 2 <3) so they wouldn't become a thing that could get destroyed only by another ship that has similar firepower

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with shields and weapons is this:

Weapons can focus on one weak spot. Shields are separated for turrets.

Weapons deplete the shield of equal mass in shield+recharger than the attacker spent in weapons+energy in just 8-11 seconds.

You have no time to roll your ship and get your turret out of danger - it is already dead.​

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But with this new system, you'll be able to pack more shields into the turret by having the base inside the main ship, protected in large by the hull and shields of the main ship.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That doesn't change that they will still be way weaker than whatever their hostship will be shot at with.
    They'll still be stronger and able to withstand a second or so of fire from a similarly classed ship, and with most of the turret in the ship, that is a small target to hit for a full second.

Personally, I think shields should be buffed and weapons nerfed slightly so battles between similar sized ships are actual slugfests and not a rapidly ending core drill battle.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    They'll still be stronger and able to withstand a second or so of fire from a similarly classed ship, and with most of the turret in the ship, that is a small target to hit for a full second.

Personally, I think shields should be buffed and weapons nerfed slightly so battles between similar sized ships are actual slugfests and not a rapidly ending core drill battle.
    1. False
    2. Agree.

A ship has only 1/2 turrets visible to the enemy assuming equal coverage => 8..11 -> 4..5.5
    A ship uses about 2/3 of shields as it is the biggest target, assuming turrets are as small as you say => 4..5.5 -> 2.6 .. 3.6
    A ship has 6 turrets with equal size => 2.6 .. 3.6 -> 0.46 .. 0.6 seconds to die.

All damage which doesn't hit the turret hits the ship => time doesn't matter anymore :p

Reaction score
    I wholeheartily agree that shields (but also armor in my opinion) needs to be stronger and weapons weaker, so we can have actual fights.
    I'm probably in the minority with the opinion that turrets should be possible to use as a main damage dealer of a ship? Like, I imagine capitals to have strong, foreward facing "super" weapons. A big laser array, annihilation-missiles, etc etc. But I imagine the turrets to be some kind of main weapon, like the turrets for Star Wars for example. In Star Wars most ships do not have any weapon that is used by the ship directly, but instead have many turrets blasting away at enemy targets (iirc). And I personally find that looks pretty cool to have such a swarm of lasers flying across between two ships from the turrets on them firing. ^^

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you can have something like:

SSSSSSSSSSSS - - -
    TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    SSSSSSSSSSSS - TT

With S being the ship and T the turret, it would be viable.
    Currently, one problem is that turrets are too easy to hit by focus fire or big guns.
    Thus I support the suggestion which suggests to divide turret into yaw-part and pitch-part idea.

It will really change balance :)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I wholeheartily agree that shields (but also armor in my opinion) needs to be stronger and weapons weaker, so we can have actual fights.
    With the upcoming HP-system fights will last longer. Shields must probably be rebalanced then, so if shields were rebalanced now it would be a waste of time.

I'm probably in the minority with the opinion that turrets should be possible to use as a main damage dealer of a ship? Like, I imagine capitals to have strong, foreward facing "super" weapons. A big laser array, annihilation-missiles, etc etc. But I imagine the turrets to be some kind of main weapon, like the turrets for Star Wars for example.
    Currently weapons have a firing arc of how much, 90°? This gives integral weapons a turret-like behaviour. If the firing arc is significantly reduced in the future, then big ships with low turn rates must be able to use turrets as main weapons. Real warships use either turrets or guided missiles/torpedos as main weapons because a cannon that cannot aim would be useless.

Reaction score
    With the upcoming HP-system fights will last longer. Shields must probably be rebalanced then, so if shields were rebalanced now it would be a waste of time.
    Yeah, but HP-system still allows blocks to be destroyed, right? I mean, it just means that the core is not the whole life of the ship anymore, but that ship will die as soon as .. what do I know, 75% of the blocks are destroyed, right?

Reaction score
    Thanks.

For docking, I would imagine being able to noclip inside your own ships (or your faction ships) virtually (your actual ship doesn't move unless you dock it) within a certain area. That way you can dock your turret to ports that cannot be seen from outside. Just a thought though, don't consider this part of the suggestion.

And also, come on devs, I know you have seen this, at least a "we're thinking about it" or "schema said..." would be nice, instead of leaving us all hanging.