Thrust Mechanics Explained

Reaction score
    Movement uses power, therefore, movement is meant to use power. Well, it is a good laugh.
    Logically, the second statement makes sense.

I put "whole point", though I meant part of one, to emphasize the fact that movement requires energy. Movement is... used to transfer some object(s) from one position to another, and (if you really want to) to utilize energy (also known as 'power' in this case).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Sorry if I'm resurecting an old argument, but I want to share my thoughts as well on this. I'm new to the game and enjoy it a lot. ^_^

Why is everyone having such problems with the proposed changes? It's about time that someone came up with an inertial thruster system. Potential Spheres make perfect sense and would apply their thrust vectors with inertial influences rather than vectoring exhaust. These changes make sense to me and are not hard to understand.

Instead of complicating things, why not simplify the vectors and make it easier on everyone involved? Instead of making it six different vectors why not make it three. You have positive and negative aspects of three axis. You can stack the potential more towards positive or negative as suites your flying style.

As for making adjustments to flight potential, are we going to be able to set some presets like weaponry so we can make a few simple adjustments on the fly?

Flying hyper-speed manually sounds like it'll be interesting and fun, though it could be difficult to make it precise enough for fleet maneuvers for massive attacks. It would be fun to practice though.

One final thought has occurred to me about the Potential Spheres. Why not give a slight power discount for building them in a spherical configuration. Either a power discount (no more than 5%) or a vectoring boost. You could use a vectoring boost by making half-spheres to make your ship have a 10-15% increase in the direction of the hemisphere. This can lead to more unique ship builds....

Just think. Two hemispheres of Potential Spheres at the front of each nacel of a ship's engines and the rest of it is filled with Potential Capaciters to have a reserve for emergency maneuvers. At least that's what I would call the overdrive blocks... ^_^

Thanks for reading!!
    8')

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sorry if I'm resurecting an old argument, but I want to share my thoughts as well on this. I'm new to the game and enjoy it a lot. ^_^

Why is everyone having such problems with the proposed changes? It's about time that someone came up with an inertial thruster system. Potential Spheres make perfect sense and would apply their thrust vectors with inertial influences rather than vectoring exhaust. These changes make sense to me and are not hard to understand.

Instead of complicating things, why not simplify the vectors and make it easier on everyone involved? Instead of making it six different vectors why not make it three. You have positive and negative aspects of three axis. You can stack the potential more towards positive or negative as suites your flying style.

As for making adjustments to flight potential, are we going to be able to set some presets like weaponry so we can make a few simple adjustments on the fly?

Flying hyper-speed manually sounds like it'll be interesting and fun, though it could be difficult to make it precise enough for fleet maneuvers for massive attacks. It would be fun to practice though.

One final thought has occurred to me about the Potential Spheres. Why not give a slight power discount for building them in a spherical configuration. Either a power discount (no more than 5%) or a vectoring boost. You could use a vectoring boost by making half-spheres to make your ship have a 10-15% increase in the direction of the hemisphere. This can lead to more unique ship builds....

Just think. Two hemispheres of Potential Spheres at the front of each nacel of a ship's engines and the rest of it is filled with Potential Capaciters to have a reserve for emergency maneuvers. At least that's what I would call the overdrive blocks... ^_^

Thanks for reading!!
    8')
    Why do you resurrect this :((((

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    The upcoming changes to thrust have been widely discussed and announced in Dev Q&A so please research these news articles from the past year, then approach this again.

Many people are simply repeating the same ideas or rehashing ideas that are already planned and confirmed.

I look forward to the officially planned solution. Starmade is always evolving and improving and so the new system should solve any short trouser problems relating to thick rimmed glasses and bow ties.

Reaction score
    This assignment process applies to all 6 directions on you ship, forward/back, up/down, left/right, you may assign any amount of your thrust that you like (in percentages) until you have used the entire 100% available in your thrust pool.
    Ships should be able to reach max speed in the forward direction so here is a suggestion. We get 100% thrust in forward direction and then we have another 50% thrust split among the remaining directions. By default ships would have a 100% forward and 10% for all other directions. The forward speed can still be decreased to allow more thrust in other directions.

OK a small change to idea. Instead of getting an extra 50% split among the remaining directions we get 100%. This means 100% forward and 20% for all other directions. There would be a cape of lets say 70% max for any other directions besides the forward one to prevent some one from reversing at max speed.

Last edited:

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Basically stuff like on-ship factories will have a very low value so you can place a fair amount while still being able to move around.
    Looking back on this: Could we have on-ship factories? (again?)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Such detail and creativity, im happy to see the FTL system mentioned on the post was implementes succesfully. +1 Useful

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The upcoming changes to thrust have been widely discussed and announced in Dev Q&A so please research these news articles from the past year, then approach this again.
    Where can we find the Q&A transcripts or research as you suggest?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think we should be able to get 100% speed but with the acceleration based on the % of thrust blocks assigned to a direction with perhaps a 50% max acceleration to any one direction.

On another note with the perhaps we could get an Advanced Thruster Module? 170% of basic with 200% power usage?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I like the thruster mechanics, but thrust and speed must be a vital part of combat.
    As noticed, most of the combat goes away to who has the best or biggest guns, no strategy.
    You cant dodge missiles, you cant do evasive maneuvers that work because all of the power is spent on weapons, not speed.
    without maneuverability, Starmade becomes a stalemate in equal battles, but skill should be dominant and more important than the ship used.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, with larger ships more power is spent on thrust than weapons.

Just came up with an idea to encourge large ships to be slow and small ships to be fast: the pwoer cost is the number of thrusters to the TWR. With high number of thrusters (and therefore a high thrust) the TWR will drasatically affect the power usage of the engines. A ship with 30 mass and 60 thrust will spend 3600 energy per tick. A ship with 30,000 mass and 60,000 thrust will spend 3,600,000,000 energy per tick. Now obviously that's a bit harsh but you get the idea.

Reaction score
    The new thrust mechanics are unworkable.

A 15k ship using 400,000 power to accelerate very slowly, when it is soft-capped at 1 mil power? What kind of ridiculous is this? Are we not supposed to move our ships at all anymore?

So many ships can't even move any more after these last updates.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The new thrust mechanics are unworkable.

A 15k ship using 400,000 power to accelerate very slowly, when it is soft-capped at 1 mil power? What kind of ridiculous is this? Are we not supposed to move our ships at all anymore?

So many ships can't even move any more after these last updates.
    Thrust hasn't been changed in quite some time. If your ships are having trouble moving, it's because standard, advanced, and crystal armor weigh more now.

Reaction score
    Thrust hasn't been changed in quite some time. If your ships are having trouble moving, it's because standard, advanced, and crystal armor weigh more now.
    They move at the exact same speed. A ship that took ~800k/sec now takes 3mil/sec, for instance, at the same acceleration (so far as I can tell).

So under the new mechanics there is no way to get an armored, large ship to move acceptably?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    They move at the exact same speed. A ship that took ~800k/sec now takes 3mil/sec, for instance, at the same acceleration (so far as I can tell).

So under the new mechanics there is no way to get an armored, large ship to move acceptably?
    These are the current thruster configs.

These are the previous thruster configs.

However, I've been discussing this in chat with some other members. We think there might be an issue in the code, especially after doing some testing. So, if there is an issue, it's not a config issue.

Reaction score
    These are the current thruster configs.

These are the previous thruster configs.

However, I've been discussing this in chat with some other members. We think there might be an issue in the code, especially after doing some testing. So, if there is an issue, it's not a config issue.
    Sounds like it. I can personally attest on single player and across 3 servers on which I have the same exact (previously 60k mass) ship, the power consumption has gone up to 3mil e/sec.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm curious about possible methods of interdiction, currently the only method I can think of is using EMP weapons to drain a ship's power reserves an keep it from charging its jump drives. Not sure if this works if the drives are already charged though.

Been tinkering with the idea to build a ship capable of keeping enemies from warping away.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm curious about possible methods of interdiction, currently the only method I can think of is using EMP weapons to drain a ship's power reserves an keep it from charging its jump drives. Not sure if this works if the drives are already charged though.
    It doesn't, and EMP weapons don't drain nearly enough power to prevent most larger ships from charging jump drives anyway :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It doesn't, and EMP weapons don't drain nearly enough power to prevent most larger ships from charging jump drives anyway :(
    We need some sort of hyperdrive jammer then. I remember reading somewhere that interdiction was planned when they implemented FTL, but so far we've heard zip about how it's gonna work.