Thrust Mechanics Explained

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This all sounds amazing! However, one part caught me up ^.
    Why should our max speed be different in different directions? The acceleration in each direction will be different (and the balancing factor) so I don't see why the max speed should be capped. e.g I could spend 1 minute reaching the server max speed going forwards or 10 minutes reaching the max speed going backwards, its all about momentum.
    If someone wants to spend their time trying to reach max speed with an in-efficient use of their thrust then why should they be further penalised?

Could you please elaborate on this part?
    Thanks
    Seems like thrusters inherently create a small breaking effect at high velocities :p
    More thrusters right/left increase the breaking effect for the ship while not increasing acceleration for forward/backward.​

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen

This all sounds amazing! However, one part caught me up ^.
    Why should our max speed be different in different directions? The acceleration in each direction will be different (and the balancing factor) so I don't see why the max speed should be capped. e.g I could spend 1 minute reaching the server max speed going forwards or 10 minutes reaching the max speed going backwards, its all about momentum.
    If someone wants to spend their time trying to reach max speed with an in-efficient use of their thrust then why should they be further penalised?

Could you please elaborate on this part?
    Thanks
    I'd imagine it's simply that you can't accelerate in the direction you're going once you're going above the "top speed" in that direction. If you're traveling forward at 100m/s and turn around and you can only back up at 30m/s, then you'll still be traveling in the same direction but you can't speed up. If the server has damping turned on you wouldn't be able to prevent yourself losing speed until 30m/s
    (Also can the new mechanics get rid of damping? Please?)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dampening needs a replacement then.

Perhaps thrusters automatically cancel movement in case you accidentally detach from your ship, unless you have a "keep-moving block, setting, circuit or command" on your ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd say, have dampening be the default, but have a block that lets you toggle it on/off via logic or GUI. That block could also be used to control other thruster settings, like thrust allocation...

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, whatever the thruster discussion is about here. That's a fact that once thruster direction is a thing I need to re-think my designs and build a new ship from scratch.

Looking forward to having thruster block direction matter as I'd very much like to make my big ship able to turn fast (I play in singleplayer so I can edit configs and play things my way without lag getting in the way or other people getting on my nerves).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Well, whatever the thruster discussion is about here. That's a fact that once thruster direction is a thing I need to re-think my designs and build a new ship from scratch.

Looking forward to having thruster block direction matter as I'd very much like to make my big ship able to turn fast (I play in singleplayer so I can edit configs and play things my way without lag getting in the way or other people getting on my nerves).
    You do realize this stuff is in the current release, right? Directional thrust, that is. It's decided through a menu. You can split thrust among the 3 directional pairs and turning speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You do realize this stuff is in the current release, right? Directional thrust, that is. It's decided through a menu. You can split thrust among the 3 directional pairs and turning speed.
    Yes I'm perfectly aware of that but I'm talking about making thruster block direction actually matter!!! Should've explained myself a bit better perhaps but was too tired for the day. Unless I'm really missing here something and they do already but when I attached thruster blocks in different directions (left, right, top, bottom) for testing on one of my ships it didn't make my ship turn any faster.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes I'm perfectly aware of that but I'm talking about making thruster block direction actually matter!!! Should've explained myself a bit better perhaps but was too tired for the day. Unless I'm really missing here something and they do already but when I attached thruster blocks in different directions (left, right, top, bottom) for testing on one of my ships it didn't make my ship turn any faster.
    Devs have already said that's currently not going to happen. It makes it a pain for builders, and it doesn't add anything over just using the menu.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Devs have already said that's currently not going to happen. It makes it a pain for builders, and it doesn't add anything over just using the menu.
    Ahhh, sorry. I was under the impression the feature is in the plans so I was kinda worried about it myself because let's face it, having to make designs based on where thrusters will be and then having to deal with the block placement. Yeah, the current systems is looking alot better because I'm really not that interested in converting my designs from gravity field emitters to stone-age-of-space-travel engines. Whew.

Just need to get used to using the thrust menu more often. I guess what I was trying to really tell was to make thruster block direction boost the default ship's turn speed further.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Will there be a further splitting of thrust directions. like beeing able to actually specifically give, for example, thrust energy just to the left, or just forward?

i think the flying still feels too much like flying a turret... and right, left, up, down, backwards, forwards, all directions should be adjustable...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This thread is two years old, the system has changed a bit. Try the suggestions forum.