The turret thread

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yeah, had it acting weird when building a turret, the game labled the correct block as output but the projectile always came from one of the neighbouring blocks.
    Yeah, I noticed that to. Had an issue building a fighter. In the end I purposefully rebuilt the modules placing the first one to be the fire module.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I figured it out. If you hold RIGHT shift with the cursor on the block you can see if it is the output or not, it's listed as "active" or inactive.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    This is more of a technical show case then a pure aesthetic one but I still think it looks good.
    As I've said before I've been experimenting with turret stacking to create controllable combat viable robotic limbs. I've finally got around to designing a ship around this concept. I should be releasing it soon.
    Perun-Arms.gif

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is more of a technical show case then a pure aesthetic one but I still think it looks good.
    As I've said before I've been experimenting with turret stacking to create controllable combat viable robotic limbs. I've finally got around to designing a ship around this concept. I should be releasing it soon.
    View attachment 50205
    Engine placement makes it look like a Gremlin is looking at you.
    Would be cool if you could sync up both rotators so the arms remain pointing forward through the whole movement.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Engine placement makes it look like a Gremlin is looking at you.
    Would be cool if you could sync up both rotators so the arms remain pointing forward through the whole movement.
    those arnt rotators. I was using turret aim. I had complete control over those arms. They were moving up and down based on where my mouse was. The only problem with this is that turret aim currently does not focus on your cursor the way on board weapons do and it only fires unfocused. When the AI takes over it will focus fire but for some reason it never does for manual turret aim.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    those arnt rotators. I was using turret aim. I had complete control over those arms. They were moving up and down based on where my mouse was. The only problem with this is that turret aim currently does not focus on your cursor the way on board weapons do and it only fires unfocused. When the AI takes over it will focus fire but for some reason it never does for manual turret aim.
    Yeah, but I can see an initial movement of the intermediate joint between the turret and the ship. Then we see you using the targeting control.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Yeah, but I can see an initial movement of the intermediate joint between the turret and the ship. Then we see you using the targeting control.
    Thats just how it animates. Apparently when you turret stack movement starts with the highest dock in the chain and moves downwards.

In this case the shoulders are the turret that is connected directly to the main ship facing downward. From there I have another ship docked to the turret via a rail basic. This is important as it resets the AI behavior. If I were to stick 2 turrets on top of each other in the same turning axis the AI would only move one of them rather than both. After that I just docked another turret to the rail basic dock and bam! two turrets that move together like a real arm.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I made this "floating sphere" turret recently, as a re-designed version of the original cannon turrets around my Mysterious Science Station.
    If you want a copy of it, download the station and blueprint the turret (see my businessman skills there?)

It was very loosely based on those wicked drones in the 2013 sci-fi movie "Oblivion":

I call it the "Oblivion turret", and its stats are:

Mass: 2K
    Size: 41W, 31H, 33L
    Weapon: 2x 2750/2750 cannon/cannon
    Destructive capacity: 110,000 DPS (27,500/barrel)
    Power consumption (when inactive): 37,000 e/s
    Power consumption (when firing): 243,000 e/s

1.png
    2.png

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Experimental ship mounted missile launcher:
    Fires a salvo of 4 guided missiles in a forward arc with some vertical aim capability. Deals over 800,000 damage per round with a quick rate of fire; good for sustained bombardment. Effective against armor and devastating against exposed systems and other soft targets but reduced effectiveness against heavy shield regen.

Ballistic Missiles1.jpg
    Ballistic Missiles2.jpg

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ooh, very nice! I like how they have distinctive shapes lending to function.

Reactions: MrGrey1