The Rail show off thread!

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Created a car!

It uses a clock to activate a push effect - well that was already possible without rails but this car also has toggleable wheels! The clock and the wheels can be toggled with a remote block and by activating the activator infront of the car core.
    As that is just a prototype there where a few issues here and there.
    For example: to make the car move inside a planets gravity i needed to create artificial friction. Therefor the wheels are wedgeless.

"Yes it drives! Yes it also moves above the planets edge.... Nevermind"
    My first ever car crash in StarMade!
    It also isn't very terrain friendly:

"Yes it drives downhill!!!" - Me
    "Wait who the hell is driving! :O" - Notdave

My second car crash in StarMade!
    All i want to do now is to refine the whole concept - the weels need to work better and the clock got surprisingly large o_o Anyone has a clock that can be turned on and of that does use about 3-5 blocks?

P.S. They see me rollin'. They hatin'

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Created a car!

It uses a clock to activate a push effect - well that was already possible without rails but this car also has toggleable wheels! The clock and the wheels can be toggled with a remote block and by activating the activator infront of the car core.
    As that is just a prototype there where a few issues here and there.
    For example: to make the car move inside a planets gravity i needed to create artificial friction. Therefor the wheels are wedgeless.

It also isn't very terrain friendly:

"Yes it drives downhill!!!" - Me
    "Wait who the hell is driving! :O" - Notdave

My second car crash in StarMade!
    All i want to do now is to refine the whole concept - the weels need to work better and the clock got surprisingly large o_o Anyone has a clock that can be turned on and of that does use about 3-5 blocks?

P.S. They see me rollin'. They hatin'
    Do you think it's possible to fake friction by having the blocks touch the ground at a 45* angle? Could this be used to make functional feet for my mechs?

Reaction score
    I'm pretty pleased, it would have been better if the ship had been built with the rail system in mind, but that's what I get for working so slow.

Reactions: Trekkerjoe
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    ok, mass enhancers, whats the ratio needed? I have a 27ton ship and 47000 mass enhancers mean it still moves at 1% speed grrrr

Reaction score
    In space, this cannon doesn't have recoil in appreciable amounts, since the inertia of the entire ship is braced against it. Photons have much less momentum as projectiles than mass projectiles. and all that energy is rather inefficient as much of it leaks as heat and undirected light.

anyways new multi-rail turret almost done.
    [/IMG]
    Goddamn.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Made a working prototype of a largely automated escape pod mechanism today;

Third image shows the control setup. The button/screen on the left indicates the launch button. The escape pod is flung from the bay (by push beams, yeah. It's effective.) after about 3 seconds - two by delay to make sure you have a chance to get to your seat. The ones on the right are the loading controls, one to drag the pod into the bay, one to push it nearly to the end of the line, and the activation block on top is the speed controller; disable it and the system locks, no motion. And the hatch on the end opens automatically 0.5 seconds before the pod begins moving. Press the button, get in the pod, and you're propelled about 1.5km just from the beams alone.

I wish I could have activated the launch from inside the pod. Unfortunately, activating the hotbar control module causes the pod to undock by rotating the rail docker, even though they aren't connected. Probably a bug. It's also a little too complicated for my tastes and I worry the delay, while necessary, is too long and you'll more often than not get blown up halfway down the tube. It definitely needs work, and part of that will hopefully involve a more compact design overall.

That pod only handles two occupants, but it includes a jump drive, permanent jamming and temporary cloaking, as well as a ~5:1 T:W ratio.

Reactions: Trekkerjoe
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Made a working prototype of a largely automated escape pod mechanism today;

I wish I could have activated the launch from inside the pod. Unfortunately, activating the hotbar control module causes the pod to undock by rotating the rail docker, even though they aren't connected. Probably a bug. It's also a little too complicated for my tastes and I worry the delay, while necessary, is too long and you'll more often than not get blown up halfway down the tube. It definitely needs work, and part of that will hopefully involve a more compact design overall.
    I ran into that problem a lot while working on my hand, you can work around this by removing the offending logic block and replacing it.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Unfortunately it doesn't, with better logic and maybe a better shape I imagine a mech walking on a planet is possible
    Totally! Except we don't have surface friction (at least not good surfarce friction) so you would need some prety rough terrain to grab. :oops:
    [DOUBLEPOST=1432088780,1432088562][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Spoiler

This is the funniest thing I have seen on the forums yet! xD But it's also so cool, it feels wrong to call it funny! :P

You could add some push effect modules on the same clock at the wheels and make it look like it rolls still.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Hopefully friction is fixed before I unleash this thing at the world:

Quite glad to get this one finished, it was quite a pain to wire.

For the lone wolf, the Mecha-Tank MKI is the perfect solution for anyone who wishes to ride solo. The main controls for the legs are in the turret itself, allowing one person to control his movements without a dedicated driver.

I also have a couple of older things I made, but the images broke, so here they are again:

Blue here is inspired from GlaDOS from Portal 2. It is only a prototype, so it's features only include periotic blinking and one 15 second long programmable animation. Plans are to have one in each of my capital ships, with multiple animations based on conditions, and a scrolling screen in the back of it's lair.

Probably the only mech in existence that can move under it's own power(at the time of this post), this prototype demonstrates some of the potential of walkers, yet is confined to the very rungs that make up it's highways.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Hopefully friction is fixed before I unleash this thing at the world:

Quite glad to get this one finished, it was quite a pain to wire.

For the lone wolf, the Mecha-Tank MKI is the perfect solution for anyone who wishes to ride solo. The main controls for the legs are in the turret itself, allowing one person to control his movements without a dedicated driver.

I also have a couple of older things I made, but the images broke, so here they are again:

Blue here is inspired from GlaDOS from Portal 2. It is only a prototype, so it's features only include periotic blinking and one 15 second long programmable animation. Plans are to have one in each of my capital ships, with multiple animations based on conditions, and a scrolling screen in the back of it's lair.

Probably the only mech in existence that can move under it's own power(at the time of this post), this prototype demonstrates some of the potential of walkers, yet is confined to the very rungs that make up it's highways.
    Give this guy some award! Some medal! This is the definition of epicness! :eek:

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    I have a 5 block clock that does that. Super easy to use too. And its expandable. It does have the issue of using too many delays sometimes so if you need really big you need to switch to a JK clock but that for a different thread.

5BlockClockPulse_wReset.GIF

On/Off from the Activation Block. Turn it on and the system resets with the new button block. The new Button block actually made this smaller by one block. :) Has a .5 second delay till it pulses through. To remove the delay switch the button block with a NOT->Activation. For longer pulse periods move the link from the delay down the chain and reconnect to the NOT (Some where around 30 delays the system starts to melt down). I use this system to make variable timers and chase lights since you will find the pattern changes when you move the DELAY -> NOT connection.

For making the chain have a single pulse travel the line of delays (AKA - Lag friendlier) place a Button block between the first and second delay, the connect the Button to the NOT. Moving the placement of the button block down allows you to control the length of the pulse as well.

To keep on topic, some amazing things in here. You guys actually inspired me to make a few new creations that I will add to my server, THANKS!