Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It'll be impossible for say a 16 player faction to ALL live on a single Mothership.
    Why, exactly? My faction has never had any trouble from all of us living in a single HB. Why would that be any different for a ship that can move?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    We're not currently planning on including "motherships". In the past we have expressed the intent to add in Capital Ships that include features like FTL etc. If station components were to be made available to something that can fly then it would be on Capital ships with a significant power cost buff (i.e. you wouldn't be able to FTL while shipyards are active. there would be simple management over such systems). However with other plans for the game there's benefits to stations and bases on planets that you just won't be able to get any other way, so while nomadic lifestyle would be possible, it wouldn't be equivalent to a homebase.

Reactions: Ixalite and Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    so while nomadic lifestyle would be possible, it wouldn't be equivalent to a homebase.
    Becasue civilization begins when you settle in one place. When you're not focused on moving around you can put that time and energy into producing the things you need, like food for instance.

The life of a nomad brings you to all sorts of places, most of which are places you stop at out of necessity to resupply things and to trade things you don't need anymore.

Reaction score
    We're not currently planning on including "motherships". In the past we have expressed the intent to add in Capital Ships that include features like FTL etc. If station components were to be made available to something that can fly then it would be on Capital ships with a significant power cost buff (i.e. you wouldn't be able to FTL while shipyards are active. there would be simple management over such systems). However with other plans for the game there's benefits to stations and bases on planets that you just won't be able to get any other way, so while nomadic lifestyle would be possible, it wouldn't be equivalent to a homebase.

What about, then, a faction-designated ship with instantaneous personnel transportation? A Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis style) if you would. One end would only be buildable on the faction base with a build limit of one, and the gate could only be linked to one ship (at a time?).

Players could spawn on the faction base, but go to their gateroom and transport themselves back to the flagship or commandship or whatever it is? A balance, of sorts, between the two.

Gate size couldn't exceed 1x6x6 (one block thick, six blocks high, six blocks wide). Only players on foot or really small one-man craft would be able to use it to travel to the ship. The further the ship is from the faction base, the more energy would be required to make the jump while, also requiring a cooldown.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    What about, then, a faction-designated ship with instantaneous personnel transportation? A Stargate (SG-1, Atlantis style) if you would. One end would only be buildable on the faction base with a build limit of one, and the gate could only be linked to one ship (at a time?).

Players could spawn on the faction base, but go to their gateroom and transport themselves back to the flagship or commandship or whatever it is? A balance, of sorts, between the two.

Gate size couldn't exceed 1x6x6 (one block thick, six blocks high, six blocks wide). Only players on foot or really small one-man craft would be able to use it to travel to the ship. The further the ship is from the faction base, the more energy would be required to make the jump while, also requiring a cooldown.
    You're thinking of things like Destiny as well, one lone ship out there travelling that you jump back and forward to. The problem is that the warp gates aren't designed for ship use. Their destinations, coordinates etc are all calculated on connection rather than constantly, meaning they can't be on moving objects, that's the same issue the race gates encounter as they're again linked one to another.

Reaction score
    You're thinking of things like Destiny as well, one lone ship out there travelling that you jump back and forward to. The problem is that the warp gates aren't designed for ship use. Their destinations, coordinates etc are all calculated on connection rather than constantly, meaning they can't be on moving objects, that's the same issue the race gates encounter as they're again linked one to another.

I'm not honestly sure it makes sense to have warp gates that you can gate to a ship with. It would make sense that from the ship you could create a tunnel to a "know location aka a stationary warp gate" but i don't see any reason why they would work the other way.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I'm not honestly sure it makes sense to have warp gates that you can gate to a ship with. It would make sense that from the ship you could create a tunnel to a "know location aka a stationary warp gate" but i don't see any reason why they would work the other way.
    I agree, and I don't see it going in.

Reaction score
    Definitely fair enough.

What about a more accurate personnel gate, then, that can be taken on foot between stations? Rather than getting into and flying a ship or small/fast shuttle to go through a gate (appearing several hundred meters away from the other gate) to get into the other's hangar quickly then have to repeat in the opposite direction, it'd be more convenient to have ^.

Although, if that were possible, could we also program it that any gate could be linked/dialed to any other friendly gate, instead of linking one gate to just one other gate?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Definitely fair enough.

What about a more accurate personnel gate, then, that can be taken on foot between stations? Rather than getting into and flying a ship or small/fast shuttle to go through a gate (appearing several hundred meters away from the other gate) to get into the other's hangar quickly then have to repeat in the opposite direction, it'd be more convenient to have ^.

Although, if that were possible, could we also program it that any gate could be linked/dialed to any other friendly gate, instead of linking one gate to just one other gate?
    You can build small gates that astronauts fly/walk through. In the next release it should be fixed so that as an astronaut you appear right in front of the gate you arrive through rather than somewhere near by.

Reaction score
    Basically, transporter rings ala Stargate? Those would be nice.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Basically, transporter rings ala Stargate? Those would be nice.
    I think he's referring to an actual dial-able stargate. With the upcoming fix to let logic control warp gate computers you could have a number of preset destinations as warp gates rings one inside the other, it'd make it a bit larger but matters what you're building it for; astronauts or ships.

Reaction score
    I think he's referring to an actual dial-able stargate. With the upcoming fix to let logic control warp gate computers you could have a number of preset destinations as warp gates rings one inside the other, it'd make it a bit larger but matters what you're building it for; astronauts or ships.
    Uhm, yeah. That sounds absolutely fantastic. You guys are phenomenal

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Uhm, yeah. That sounds absolutely fantastic. You guys are phenomenal
    Let me just make sure it's clear, each warp gate can have one destination, but you can use logic to control whether it's active or not, so stacking gates in each other will let you have the one place to travel through to the lone active gate that way you control destination

Reactions: Lecic

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    so while nomadic lifestyle would be possible, it wouldn't be equivalent to a homebase.
    Perfect, that's the exact situation I want, for reasons that Zaphord has explained. All I wish for is Nomadic life to be entirely possible, and not nerfed too heavily, yet stationary life will always have the advantages of being in one place.P

If station components were to be made available to something that can fly then it would be on Capital ships with a significant power cost buff (i.e. you wouldn't be able to FTL while shipyards are active. there would be simple management over such systems).
    I wonder, were you thinking of simply having that FTL can't run while a shipyard is going, or were you going to have it that it consumes so much power, that'd it be ridiculous to use both. I would prefer the latter, as it's a problem that can eventually be solved by the player after a significant amount of work.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Nomads huh? Challenge accepted o_O

Here's how you become a true nomad...

Star Axis Command System
    - Mobile Spaceport and staging area for Axis forces.

Last observed powergrid: 130+ million powergrid capacity 3 million+ recharge.

last observed defense: 40 million+ shield capacity with 600,000+ recharge.

Planned armament:
    - AMS turrets
    - Anti-capital gauss railgun turrets
    - Anti-fighter vulcan turrets
    - Long range heavy missiles
    - Heavy Ion Beam weapons
    - Fighter squadrons
    - Powered-armor infantry (docking bay security force)
    - 4+ Defender class gunships
    - 4+ Light warships (average 7000-10000 mass each)
    - World Ender Device. (Yeah... it was going to be a Death Star).
    - Orbital Defense platforms

Status: cancelled, due to relocation from single player to multiplayer universe.

This is basically a massive ship posing as a starbase. It holds 4 of my best non-capital starships internally and was being refit to allow capitals and visitors to dock to the outer pylons. With the new rails update, it has more than enough room to dock to a small (anchor) station in such a way that the station exists INSIDE the Command System. This leaves room for basic factories, a shop an undeathinator and even a small shipyard. In an emergency or when the star system's resources grow scarce, I can pack up shop and warp out of the star system. I've since put this unit on the back burner and started playing multiplayer. Rest assured; when my resources allow, I WILL construct another one...

I think that with the current game mechanics, there is very little stopping you from being a nomad. Just use your imagination and All your base are belong to us...

Last edited:

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nomads huh? Challenge accepted o_O

Here's how you become a true nomad...

Star Axis Command System
    - Mobile Spaceport and staging area for Axis forces.

Last observed powergrid: 130+ million powergrid capacity 3 million+ recharge.

last observed defense: 40 million+ shield capacity with 600,000+ recharge.

Planned armament:
    - AMS turrets
    - Anti-capital gauss railgun turrets
    - Anti-fighter vulcan turrets
    - Long range heavy missiles
    - Heavy Ion Beam weapons
    - Fighter squadrons
    - Powered-armor infantry (docking bay security force)
    - 4+ Defender class gunships
    - 4+ Light warships (average 7000-10000 mass each)
    - World Ender Device. (Yeah... it was going to be a Death Star).
    - Orbital Defense platforms

Status: cancelled, due to relocation from single player to multiplayer universe.

This is basically a massive ship posing as a starbase. It holds 4 of my best non-capital starships internally and was being refit to allow capitals and visitors to dock to the outer pylons. With the new rails update, it has more than enough room to dock to a small (anchor) station in such a way that the station exists INSIDE the Command System. This leaves room for basic factories, a shop an undeathinator and even a small shipyard. In an emergency or when the star system's resources grow scarce, I can pack up shop and warp out of the star system. I've since put this unit on the back burner and started playing multiplayer. Rest assured; when my resources allow, I WILL construct another one...

I think that with the current game mechanics, there is very little stopping you from being a nomad. Just use your imagination and All your base are belong to us...
    For fucks sake why? What gave you the idea to hijack my suggestion and turn it into an ad for your pretty mega ship? Seriously, basic forum etiquette, not trying to be an ass, but when I create a suggestion the LAST thing I want is someone advertising their ships, which is also detrimental to your advertising campaign, because now I'm a hell of a lot less likely to have a look/download it. :/

EDIT: AND SOMEONE FUCKING LIKED IT! THAT IS LITERALLY THE SINGLE RUDEST THING THAT ONE CAN DO ON SOMEONE'S SUGGESTION! D:

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    For fucks sake why? What gave you the idea to hijack my suggestion and turn it into an ad for your pretty mega ship? Seriously, basic forum etiquette, not trying to be an ass, but when I create a suggestion the LAST thing I want is someone advertising their ships, which is also detrimental to your advertising campaign, because now I'm a hell of a lot less likely to have a look/download it. :/

EDIT: AND SOMEONE FUCKING LIKED IT! THAT IS LITERALLY THE SINGLE RUDEST THING THAT ONE CAN DO ON SOMEONE'S SUGGESTION! D:
    If you think this was some kind of personal attack meant solely to hijack your thread, then I'm afraid you completely missed the point of my post. My intent was to demonstrate that virtually everything you suggested is already possible in the current game mechanics.

All the benefits of a station; factories, shops, undeathinators, and shipyards; are there, yet the craft remains mobile with very little modification. Using rails and logic, you too could have done something like this instead of asking the development team to spend time reinventing the wheel. Think about that before you get offended and while you're at it, watch the profanity.

Last edited:

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you think this was some kind of personal attack meant solely to hijack your thread, then I'm afraid you completely missed the point of my post. My intent was to demonstrate that virtually everything you suggested is already possible in the current game mechanics.

All the benefits of a station; factories, shops, undeathinators, and shipyards; are there, yet the craft remains mobile with very little modification. Using rails and logic, you too could have done something like this instead of asking the development to spend time reinventing the wheel. Think about that before you get offended and while you're at it, watch the profanity.
    I'm aware that that wasn't your point, that's why I was explaining it to you. :p

How is it possible exactly? As far as I'm aware, you can't put any station modules onto ships?

And no, I will not fucking watch the profanity, it's just how I do. :p

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm aware that that wasn't your point, that's why I was explaining it to you. :p

How is it possible exactly? As far as I'm aware, you can't put any station modules onto ships?

And no, I will not fucking watch the profanity, it's just how I do. :p

I'm Ex-military so I curse like a sailor but I do run into minors on the servers. Just something to be aware of.

The ship/station above is an actual ship. I have been specifically waiting for the rails update because, it meant the end of the docking enhancer system and associated bounding box. That means you now have the capability of docking a much larger entity to something much smaller. Another example is the orbital defense platform in my above post's spoiler. The turret is built around the ship; just as a ship can now be built around a station. We are looking at a capability for some really abstract designs and with a little creativity you can have your mother-ship, build a small "anchor station" as I call it and dock to it in such a way that the station appears to be inside the larger craft. That station can house whatever shipyard facilities factories undeathinators, etc. you want as long as your docking bay can fit it.

Does that make better sense?

Reaction score
    And no, I will not fucking watch the profanity
    You probably should take a gander at the forum rules. There's really no need to punctuate everything you say with an expletive when you can use language that doesn't irk certain people..not that it bugs me.