"The Great Yamato"

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    A ship I've been working on since I first downloaded StarMade. It's been through many versions and still has a way to go with weapons refits but I'm now happy with it's overall form and layout and thought it about time it had it's own thread. So here it is, The Great Yamato.
    starmade-screenshot-0000.png

I chose the "The Great Yamato" over "The Yamato" specifically because of the underside turrets, (the original SBSYl does not have them.) It's a scratch built ship using a rough 5 meter grid overlay on this source image. (I've since learned my scale was out somewhat and it should be bigger but whatyado? ./shrug)
    The role of the ship is to be a fun ship to explore StarMade in so I've made a number of concessions to make it more enjoyable and fun to use in game. I've added a dual fighter hangar in the keel as well as two independent 6 bay drone docks which house 12 mining drones. This gives the ship mining capabilities without straying too far from cannon. Originally the fighters are supposed to be housed where the drones are but there was not enough room for decent looking fighters in the hull. Now it can explore and do a little mining for cash and resources along the way.
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png Getting the overlayered turrets to work without jamming (too much) was quite the exercise so their positioning, shape and size differ somewhat from the source. With a little piloting skill they now work reasonably well and the ship can now reliably broadside a station.

starmade-screenshot-0026.png
    Top of the Command Tower behind the Captains Observation Deck is a crew lift hatch. The lift extends out of the ship.

starmade-screenshot-0023.png
    External drone dock clearly visible at the stern. Two advanced plex doors in the keel hide the fighters. There's a manual astronaut entry and another crew lift entry. Again the lift extends externally allowing an astronaut to get in.
    starmade-screenshot-0003.png Wave Motion Gun and bow side missiles are still incomplete awaiting the prophesied weapons update...

starmade-screenshot-0027.png
    starmade-screenshot-0028.png
    starmade-screenshot-0008.png
    Quarter Deck, the 'Commmand Chair' (white entity in the background,) goes from this level to the Bridge at next level and then up to the Captains Observation deck at the top of the ship. The Command Chair is intended to be used as the controlling entity when flying the ship as a fleet.
    starmade-screenshot-0029.png
    Bridge Deck. Main core and Command Chair in the background. The Ice Coral in the pic is a rotating clock meant to represent the holographic map as seen in the original series and now controls the Nav lights. I stayed as close to possible to the general layout of the original Yamato's bridge but had to compact things in a fair bit due to size restraints and the magic Tardis like physics of cartoon internal/external imagery.

starmade-screenshot-0007.png
    The three command decks from outside. Captains Chair visible in the Captains Observation Deck.

Continued...

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Continued...
    starmade-screenshot-0030.png Mining drones. Small and easily replaceable but enough of them to mine effectively.
    starmade-screenshot-0015.png
    Internal cargo area and drone dock.

starmade-screenshot-0021.png
    "Cosmo" Fighters. Well not really, the Cosmos were impossible to get looking right at this scale so I built my own. Grey hull areas are removed V1 systems still awaiting replacement upon weapons update.

starmade-screenshot-0020.png
    Cosmos tucked away. Crew lift in the center. Manual access hatch in the foreground.

starmade-screenshot-0018.png
    Side "Cargo Dock" accessible from the ship through the drone docks. Allows easy docking of 'bikes' and has a little custom cargo pallet you can eject for trade purposes.
    starmade-screenshot-0013.png
    Science Lab
    starmade-screenshot-0014.png
    Med bay
    starmade-screenshot-0010.png
    Internal Bridge Deck Lift and hallway.

Hope you enjoyed the tour. It is destined for the Docks but awaits the weapons update for completion.
    Cheers,
    MrGrey1

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Those silly japs :D

I especially love the red waterline, indicating how deep the craft can submerge in... space.

Also: Drop anchors! With a few million miles of chain, we might actually hit something eventually.

Keep up the good work! It's a refreshing break from all the space rifle ships I've been seeing in the game.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oh man.. could I still get a copy to check this beauty out? This weapon update is taking forevah

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Oh man.. could I still get a copy to check this beauty out? This weapon update is taking forevah
    You're going to have to wait a bit I'm afraid. The drone logic is not ready for release. It all works beautifully until a load issue happens if the server lags out a bit. (Discovered this only recently when using it on a public server.) Then you're left to manually reset it and if you're unfamiliar with the logic it'd be next to impossible. So at the very least I'm putting in a proper reset system for the hangars making all the logic systems more efficient and as failsafe as possible. I don't want people to have a bad time with the logic and I really don't want to have to answer a million and one 'how do I fix this?' questions after release.

If you're really keen for a look and your ping can handle connecting Down Under there's a recent version docked to my home station on the StarMade Australia server. MRG_Shipyards is the faction. There's a warp gate at 5, 8, 38, not too far from the spawn that'll get you there.

Cheers

Reaction score
    Maybe this helps;
    When I was building one of my ships, I had no problems in single player, but online the airlock cover plate would jam half the time due to the server's microlag.

The solution was to add one or two delay blocks between movement phases. (ex; slide - wait - rotate)

Never managed to get it stuck ever since.

Aesthetics

Dark Lord of the Sith
    Reaction score
    Come to think of it, that vessel may be of great use in the new power and weapons update. Long, tall, armed with beams, and all that. You don't happen to be from the future, do you?

Reactions: MrGrey1
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Love that build ! And the RP inside is great.
    I'm building a ship right now along the same lines. Smaller but can't wait to have the two of them meet in space for show.

Reactions: MrGrey1

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I find that these screenshots support a general feeling that beams are currently a bit visually overwhelming. I like the core beams being so intense. However, the secondary glow around the core beam seems to bleed too much. Beams are supposed to be directed energy blasts, not misting waterfalls. (Although there are places for such a "misting" effect, to be sure! A misting waterfall in a greenhouse would be an awesome effect.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I find that these screenshots support a general feeling that beams are currently a bit visually overwhelming. I like the core beams being so intense. However, the secondary glow around the core beam seems to bleed too much. Beams are supposed to be directed energy blasts, not misting waterfalls. (Although there are places for such a "misting" effect, to be sure! A misting waterfall in a greenhouse would be an awesome effect.)
    Great idea that waterfall with a beam... Gonna try that.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    What kind of weapons are the main cannons packing? my guess is basic beam?
    Yeah it's all basic weapons all around at the moment. I've been working on stations while the dust settles around weapons update before I get serious on it's guns. It'll be the 'last dash' on it I hope, at least to get it 'finished' for release.

I'm inclined to agree, it doesn't flare like that all the time, there seems to be a peak and trough in the effect, but overall it's a little excessive. Still beats what it used to be. All new additions to a game need refinement so here's looking forward to that.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Larger main gun housings and increased well size boosted their module count 35%.
    Replaced large side turrets increasing module count by 110%.
    New larger AMS.
    Stripped and rebuilt systems to account for new chamber ratios with the extra volume going mainly to shields.
    There's now room for up to 9 chambers designed so that they're easily swapped and reconfigured using the replace build function. Running default 4 stealth and 3 FTL with the empty chamber space being occupied by thrusters or filler.
    Cleaned up a whole lot of waste blocks in the process and homogenized the RP and logic areas. Ship is clean as it's ever been. Still working on the Wave Motion Gun.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think I nerdgasmed a little when seeing those screenshots.
    So, about that blueprint:

Reactions: Kraengis

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Thing is, it all depends on what is keeping the beams coherent. The 'misting' effect is expected since energy, particles and so on would simply bleed off the beam... I think it looks fantastic, the light show only needs a few explosions to make it even better.
    [doublepost=1536064013,1536063895][/doublepost]Also...

rainbow.jpg