Texture Pack,

Reaction score
    To elaborate a bit on my previous post, I think the hardened hull actually looks the worse of the two. The standard hull just clashes with the pack (which is looking better and better btw. I might actually start using decorative panels), while it seems to me the hardened actually manages to clash with itself, having odd lines everywhere but then the border and little rectangles are straight. It looks better than default\'s hardened hull, but it would probably be best if either it was completely redesigned or if the border and four corner bits were changed to match the rest of it.

I always liked the look of galvanized metal, but not so much on a starship.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I happen to like the way the hardened hull textures look, it\'s the regular ones that aren\'t resonating with me....I\'d say keep the hardened hulls the way they are...but maybe add another texture option like you are for the brown / orange swap....so those that like the hardened hull can use those and if you redo them and others like the new they can choose the new. :) but, it\'s your work and whatever you decide is going to be fine either way.

Reaction score
    I have to say I love the hardened hull.

Standard hull definitely needs work :)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Roger that folks! Standard hull is no more!

Here is my quick test for a new Hull design. More in keeping with the other designs, still a W.I.P. though.

Also, thanks to Jericoz, here is your Decorative Panel no.3 idea. The plasma Conduit.

no.4. fuse boxes / switches.

I will make one statement regarding hull designs (or the whole pack);

I never intend to create a realistic or pysically viable set of textures for the game. What has started as a personal project has escaleted and blossomed with the warm support of a community, for which i am extremely grateful for. However i must stay true to the original style and goals i had in mind to combat artistic inconsistencies (and for a selfish satisfaction...).

I gladly welcome all critique and feedback, although from this point on might not be able to implement everyones suggestions.

With that said, let me know what you think of the last hull / panels!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
    Certainly fits in more with some of the other textures, but the bright dashed lines stand out too much and make it look kinda silly (especially since they don\'t line up with anything on the other textures, note that in the default texture pack the standard hull bits align with bits on other blocks like lights). I also don\'t think it will work very well for horizontal sections of hull due to all of the lines being vertical.

Is that white hull? It seems too bright compared to the borders of the other blocks to be gray.

My recommandation is to not use dashed lines, and instead stick with the paneling idea of default, but modified to fit with the theme.

Btw, a texture pack with amazingly simple and clean hulls (and glass) is Richarod. ( http://star-made.org/content/richarod-texture-pack-clean ). I think it could provide some good inspiration to take a look at it.

As for the decorative panels, reminds me a bit of isolinear chip arrays in Star Trek TNG. Looks very nice.

Reaction score
    Love the new stuff! Just a thought with the conduit, how about a purple like the great Sam el Jak in star wars. Almost there with the standard hull but can\'t put my finger on the issue, looks much better thou!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    your glass is the sexiest thing in the whole texture pack.

I\'m aware it must not have been the hardest, but it\'s just awesome.

I don\'t know if it changed since then, but the red hull looked less red than orangy. The red light looked like it\'d make a better hull look... if it wasn\'t a light.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, i have browsed all the available texture packs i can find on this forum and others. Richarod is producing some nice work. I hope he finishes it.

Thanks for the feedback, a quick response and my reasons for decisions.

\"Certainly fits in more with some of the other textures, but the bright dashed lines stand out too much and make it look kinda silly\"

The dash lines are visible at close distance only. They stand out very little compared to the default texture packs tiling patchwork (which could perhaps be a little more \"silly\" than my solution?). Especially from afar. The default \"patchwork\" standard hull tiling gives a harsh visual effect that was actually the sole reason for starting this re-texture as a personal project.

Defualt texture:

Re-texture:

...especially since they don\'t line up with anything on the other textures, note that in the default texture pack the standard hull bits align with bits on other blocks like lights.

As for the lights and other blocks tiling with standard hull textures. That\'s actually a bad idea as far as i was concerned. I like being able to place items such as lights on their own, within any material and look independent from a space ship. Within rock, within and in between decorative panels, even in grass. I can put a light or dec\' panel anywhere without having to see a \"hull\" texture.

Having a small portion of hull surrounding traditionally \"ship\" objects limits the use and harms the visual continuity among different environments or placements. Not everything should tile with the hull.

Is that white hull? It seems too bright compared to the borders of the other blocks to be gray.

It\'s grey. Same reason as above. Having independent objects (colour match in this instance) is not necessarily a bad thing. The colour ranges and style should hold the theme and continuity without actually having to tile everything together using limited colours and patterns.

My recommandation is to not use dashed lines, and instead stick with the paneling idea of default, but modified to fit with the theme.

Unfortunately, this is not something i will implement to the degree of the default texture pack. As i had said earlier, it was my reason to re-texture, so i will be keeping the current hull designs to some degree.

Thanks for the feedback, hope that clears it up my reasoning somewhat. Glad you like the decorative panels!

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    The corner blocks will all be the same colour. to avoid clasing on colour changes.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Will have a play and see if i can get a nice purple.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    lol, will you keep the original hardened hull design you did ,as an option, for those of us that like it? the new one I admit does infact go with the shield effects, which is nice, but....hmmm...something about those dotted lines doesn\'t seem up to par with what you had previously envisioned. Maybe it\'s the lack of depth....new and hardened now...seem rather flat. or rather 1 dimensional..

Reaction score
    From a distance the standard hull looks great. You have nailed it!

Sir I doth my cap to you.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    If you really want the old one, i will personally send an altered pack. Ha!

However the released pack probably won\'t have the older designs. (subject to change, as always)

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Roger that,

That would be most kind of you sir. :) and yes, I really do like the original hardenedhull design you did. I may change it to the new one, once I see it on my Sulaco /or other ships.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    A quick update;

Water now has a texture, Plex lifter and Plexi doors are done, the alien \"Vine\" worlds are textured, and some fun shots crammed with flashing lights and space tech just for fun!

Nearly there folks.

ps. plasma conduit is now in purple as per request.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I\'ve answered this a good few times.. Please read the thread, lots of useful info for you.

22nd july is my release date should things continue to run smoothly.

Reaction score
    I kinda liked your older style of hardend hull better than the new style. Coud you mabey make 2 downloads one with the old version and one with the nerwer version of hardend hull? But, if you decide not to I totally respect that because this is your texturepack.