Swarm Missiles Target Enemy Ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I love swarm missiles, honestly I love them so much that they are on almost every pvp ship that I create. However in the case of using them in fleets they are a rather annoying pest that go after not only enemy ships, but friendly faction members as well, rendering them useless in fleet scenarios. I would love to see a change to swarm missiles to where they will not target friendly faction ships/stations (including alliance members) and instead only target neutrals and enemy targets. This would therefore allow for swarm missiles to be used effectively in a fleet combat scenario instead of only for solo ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This has been discussed to death.

Why would anyone use anything BUT a lame, no-aim required, auto tracking weapon if it didn't have any drawbacks?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This has been discussed to death.

Why would anyone use anything BUT a lame, no-aim required, auto tracking weapon if it didn't have any drawbacks?
    people could easily counter them with AMS systems as well, which is why missiles are not an auto end game weapon

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A big no from me. This would be overpowered in the extreme.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I love swarm missiles, honestly I love them so much that they are on almost every pvp ship that I create. However in the case of using them in fleets they are a rather annoying pest that go after not only enemy ships, but friendly faction members as well, rendering them useless in fleet scenarios. I would love to see a change to swarm missiles to where they will not target friendly faction ships/stations (including alliance members) and instead only target neutrals and enemy targets. This would therefore allow for swarm missiles to be used effectively in a fleet combat scenario instead of only for solo ships.
    I don't think like the only thing what should be changed that swarm missels are not able to target Crew members of the shooting ship ore don't target astronauts.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    people could easily counter them with AMS systems as well, which is why missiles are not an auto end game weapon
    I could create a logic powered missile system that could render the most potent AMS useless. Still no.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't think like the only thing what should be changed that swarm missels are not able to target Crew members of the shooting ship ore don't target astronauts.
    id like to point out I have essentially said that, I would love to see a change to swarm missiles to where they will not target friendly faction ships/stations (including alliance members), I should have said this implies all friendly targets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's easy enough to overwhelm mass point defense with tons of decoy missiles. How about we do the things you say but reduce the damage by half?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's easy enough to overwhelm mass point defense with tons of decoys missiles. How about we do the things you say but reduce the damage by half?
    Lessening damage would work completly, then they wouldn't be op.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    id like to point out I have essentially said that, I would love to see a change to swarm missiles to where they will not target friendly faction ships/stations (including alliance members), I should have said this implies all friendly targets.
    Even if you don't think it would invalidate other weapons, it would certainly invalidate every other type of missile.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Even if you don't think it would invalidate other weapons, it would certainly invalidate every other type of missile.
    Would it? I still see uses for lock on missiles, long range sniper ships for example, so maybe nerfing swarm missile range as well so you cant snipe at huge ranges with them.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Lessening the damage will have the effect that it always has: people will build twice as big. There really isn't any way to get away from the fact that swarm missiles only counter/drawback is that they are indiscriminate. Take that away and you may as well just make an IWIN block with IWIN modules connected to it and one activation button.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Building twice as big would require more resources, requiring a larger effort to get the missiles to make the weapon more powerful, and also a larger ship if necessary. And a shorter range would, as I said before, stop these from being long range "IWIN" guns.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Would it? I still see uses for lock on missiles, long range sniper ships for example, so maybe nerfing swarm missile range as well so you cant snipe at huge ranges with them.
    This is already somewhat the case yet swarms still dominate in one on one pvp. Their ease of use and ability to saturate PD makes them the best at everything but fleet battles and highly specialized situations. Remove the fleet battle aspect and everything else is relegated to filling those few positions that swarms don't already fill.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is already somewhat the case yet swarms still dominate in one on one pvp. Their ease of use and ability to saturate PD makes them the best at everything but fleet battles and highly specialized situations. Remove the fleet battle aspect and everything else is relegated to filling those few positions that swarms don't already fill.
    Your right in saying "one on one pvp", which is why I was suggesting the change to give it a proper, but not overpowered use in fleet combat as well.

Reaction score
    the point of that type of missile is that they are heatseeking, so what you want is heat to be different when coming from friend, foe or neutral? They are a counter for stealth ships and a swarm of fighters, not a no-aim homing missile for large scale battles
    yeah, how they determine their target could perhaps be changed, but not that drastically, it they were to search for targets in the direction they were fired first, that would increase the situations where they could be used.
    If you want to swarm another player with missiles, use multiple outputs and smart missiles...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How many times is this going to pop up?

"Lets take the no-skill weapon and make it even less skill!" - No

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree that the swarm missiles should not lock onto only enemies, but I feel bad that so very often, issues with declaring war automatically, griefing, or causing incredible damage to a newer player's inefficient ship are so often followed by a "oh my god I'm so so sorry, I had no idea that would happen."

Something should probably change about them, but I don't know what? I'd rather not have them straight up removed...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I agree that the swarm missiles should not lock onto only enemies, but I feel bad that so very often, issues with declaring war automatically, griefing, or causing incredible damage to a newer player's inefficient ship are so often followed by a "oh my god I'm so so sorry, I had no idea that would happen."

Something should probably change about them, but I don't know what? I'd rather not have them straight up removed...
    +1
    I find that you have to be very careful with their use, even if your mucking aorund you can accidently declare war on 3 factions at once lol XD
    During tests, Ive found that beam-missiles are far better at taking out sheilds for less energy cost