Svens Practical Logic Tutorials

Reaction score
    I really should start making videos. I lurve my air lock.

The player walks up to the first door which automatically opens and a pair of orange lights on the outside of both doors starts flashing indicating the air lock is in use. While in use, the doors will not open for other players. After one second, the door the player entered closes temporarily trapping the player in the "air lock". After another two seconds, the lights in the air lock turn from red to green and the far door opens. It remains opened for two seconds. After that, the door closes again, the orange lights stop blinking, and the system can be used again.

It's much simpler logic than my slot machine since all you need are SvenCells™ to control the doors and lights, a clock to make the blinky lights, a delay clock to control the timings, and an RSNOR memory cell to lock out the area detection part of the circuit while the other stuff is running.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey Sven I have a request. A sequencer off of a clock. Basically for a sequencially-launched system activated by rails. For drones and maybe fighters.

Reaction score
    (sigh) More inaudible 'video' tutorials.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434386458,1434386410][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I really should start making videos. I lurve my air lock.

The player walks up to the first door which automatically opens and a pair of orange lights on the outside of both doors starts flashing indicating the air lock is in use. While in use, the doors will not open for other players. After one second, the door the player entered closes temporarily trapping the player in the "air lock". After another two seconds, the lights in the air lock turn from red to green and the far door opens. It remains opened for two seconds. After that, the door closes again, the orange lights stop blinking, and the system can be used again.

It's much simpler logic than my slot machine since all you need are SvenCells™ to control the doors and lights, a clock to make the blinky lights, a delay clock to control the timings, and an RSNOR memory cell to lock out the area detection part of the circuit while the other stuff is running.
    I think you should start making illustrated text tutorials instead :)

Reaction score
    I know the problem is on my end. Mostly nonworking ears. But that doesn't make me wish to understand logic any less.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know the problem is on my end. Mostly nonworking ears. But that doesn't make me wish to understand logic any less.
    Some of my tutorials have accompanying pictures. Logic is really hard to explain without being able to see and hear it at the same time. I know when people try to explain in text how something works my brain just glosses over and I can't understand a thing they are saying. Doesn't Youtube have some auto captioning software built in?

Edit: Just checked and yes Youtube will auto generate closed captions. I don't know how good they are but I try to speak as clearly as I can so they should be able to at least get close.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Edit: Just checked and yes Youtube will auto generate closed captions. I don't know how good they are but I try to speak as clearly as I can so they should be able to at least get close.
    Just tried watching the recently updated video with captioning. You talk about polls limiters, souls, and saying 'hi' to manuals. Not exactly the best translation and if it's all you've got, worthless. It comes so close that it is actually more confusing then a foreign language. You do speak clearly, but the system doesn't know the difference between 'axe' and 'acts'.

"You can not chain them across multiple entities it only can do back and forth."
    "He can not change am across multiple and he said only can do back and forth."

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just tried watching the recently updated video with captioning. You talk about polls limiters, souls, and saying 'hi' to manuals. Not exactly the best translation and if it's all you've got, worthless. It comes so close that it is actually more confusing then a foreign language. You do speak clearly, but the system doesn't know the difference between 'axe' and 'acts'.

"You can not chain them across multiple entities it only can do back and forth."
    "He can not change am across multiple and he said only can do back and forth."
    I offered an alternative, and I already put a lot of effort into making these videos as clear and concise as possible. If I misspeak once I will often throw out entire blocks of footage and re-record them. I simply cannot account for everything and I'm sorry Dire Badger suffers from hearing loss so he cannot get the full benefit from these videos. I will do my best to answer any questions he has but there is no reason to insult me and call my efforts "worthless"

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    As a person who spent years writing documentation, I do not consider those who do the research in order to understand a system and attempt to distribute that information 'worthless'.

I do, however, consider video tutorials markedly inferior, and it is a little disheartening to see someone who has worked so hard to fully explore a system throw away all that labor by documenting it in inferior media. It is a bit like a marine biologist explaining photopigmentation cells by holding up crayon pictures of octopi drawn by his four year old daughter, or an ancient historian describing the early formation of the roman empire from it's greek foundation with one word, 'cool'.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As a person who spent years writing documentation, I do not consider those who do the research in order to understand a system and attempt to distribute that information 'worthless'.

I do, however, consider video tutorials markedly inferior, and it is a little disheartening to see someone who has worked so hard to fully explore a system throw away all that labor by documenting it in inferior media. It is a bit like a marine biologist explaining photopigmentation cells by holding up crayon pictures of octopi drawn by his four year old daughter, or an ancient historian describing the early formation of the roman empire from it's greek foundation with one word, 'cool'.
    The thing about video documentation is you can see every action I make as I explain it to you. Some people learn best that way, such as myself. I look at pictures and text descriptions of logic and my eyes just gloss over and my brain stops focusing. This is a video game, everything about it is visual as well as most of what I build being done in 3d space where flat photos will just take a lot of time to compile and explain and not do the structures justice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think that the video medium is the superior medium for this content.

I can rewind and pause as much as I want to give me a static feel if I want it, but getting to see the actions and hear the words all at the same time make this fantastic.

For me, it's like having someone teach you VS teaching yourself from the book. Sure, I can learn from a book, but having someone hold my hand will get me there faster.

Thanks for the effort you do Sven_The_Slayer

Reaction score
    Unlike you, I am 97% deaf in one ear, and 90% in the other ear, so you must forgive me if I fail to see any utility behind 'explanations' I cannot actually hear.
    Have you considered close captioning or subtitles? I understand Youtube can do it without altering the video itself in any way?*

*I mean created by you, not the really bad subtitles youtube itself tries to write.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Unlike you, I am 97% deaf in one ear, and 90% in the other ear, so you must forgive me if I fail to see any utility behind 'explanations' I cannot actually hear.
    Have you considered close captioning or subtitles? I understand Youtube can do it without altering the video itself in any way?*

*I mean created by you, not the really bad subtitles youtube itself tries to write.
    what kind of metal concert did you attend to? Oo

Reaction score
    Heavy Metal. 20 years in the Navy. Half that time doing overhauls.

No matter how good your hearing protection, 25+ years running a grinder inside of a steel can takes it's toll.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Heavy Metal. 20 years in the Navy. Half that time doing overhauls.

No matter how good your hearing protection, 25+ years running a grinder inside of a steel can takes it's toll.
    ouch.
    Sounds like we need to develop some new hearing protection of sorts