Svens Practical Logic Tutorials

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I can say, "No." I can also say, "Ni." I can even say, "Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious."
    I am the first person in the world to say supercalifragilisticexpealidocious after Niel Armstrong stepped on the moon. I wanted to be first in something. I was nine years old.

:)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What happened to the diagrams of the different circuits? Please bring them back.

Ooops....just found them under the spoiler tags. But since I'm here, how about diagrams forthe other circuits too, where it makes sense.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Anyone in particular you want to see or just in general?
    Diagrams for the clocks and Memory Cells would be awesome. Maybe not so much for the other vids since they are kinda special purpose and really are just combining the other basic circuits.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    What I would like to see is how you set up weapons to fire with logic circuits as opposed to the hotbar. You did in your Starside tournament ship something I have wanted to do for weeks but had no idea how to accomplish. I was unaware if it was even possible to fire a weapon with logic (likely only ever useful with heatseekers). I've got that sort of perpetual missile swarm (with sniper missiles) down to an art for station defense, but you are the first to realize it with a ship as far as I know. (And it was beautiful to behold. :) )

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Try making a clock circuit and hooking the output to the weapon computer. A simple circuit would be a Delay and a Not connected to each other, then connecting the Not to the weapon computer.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What I would like to see is how you set up weapons to fire with logic circuits as opposed to the hotbar. You did in your Starside tournament ship something I have wanted to do for weeks but had no idea how to accomplish. I was unaware if it was even possible to fire a weapon with logic (likely only ever useful with heatseekers). I've got that sort of perpetual missile swarm (with sniper missiles) down to an art for station defense, but you are the first to realize it with a ship as far as I know. (And it was beautiful to behold. :) )
    That is actually a very simple circuit, a clock wired into a 28 delay chain, each delay into one of the 28 missile computers (there are some other bits but that's the gist of it). I have an activator that I look at in build mode, when I hit space to switch between flight mode and build mode I can just hit "use" on the activator and toggle the swarm. The ship was not as easy to pilot as it may look in the videos, I had to shut the system off several times in combat.

I suspected that once that cat was out of the bag we may see more hive mode ships pop up.

Try making a clock circuit and hooking the output to the weapon computer. A simple circuit would be a Delay and a Not connected to each other, then connecting the Not to the weapon computer.
    Unfortunately there is no way to hot-bar activators yet...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hmm... What made it difficult to pilot? Was it the energy usage of the missile systems?
    Yes it is a massive constant drain, it may not be an issue if the system is installed on another ship with either smaller missiles or more regen

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Diagrams for the clocks and Memory Cells would be awesome. Maybe not so much for the other vids since they are kinda special purpose and really are just combining the other basic circuits.

I'm still not sure what to call the little two gate memory cell, at first I called them OrAnd, now AndOR... I guess ultimately it doesn't matter there are super useful and have become my go to cell unless I specifically need the inverted signals from the other two. If anything is unclear let me know and I'll try and sort it out.

I'm working on clocks so expect that later. I will also do some for specialty circuits like my floor control module in the multi-floor elevator.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424715859,1424715682][/DOUBLEPOST]
    For perpetual missile fire, would not 29 missile launchers be more appropriate? Or am I missing something about how the timing works?
    That's what my tests confirmed. The missiles say they fire in 15 seconds, so that would be 30 delays but when I installed the system with 30 delays there was overlap. Sure it doesn't hurt as it's just extra missiles at the end of each cycle but you only need 28 to have continuous fire.

Reaction score
    I'm still not sure what to call the little two gate memory cell
    I've started calling them SvenCells™ since I stole them from your video. Gimmee a sec and I'm going to post a screenshot of my 5 block infinite input toggle that I built out of nothing more than an OR, a SvenCell™, and a NAND.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've added an update for Episode 9. I cover an optional addition to stop the animations from switching directions mid animation.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    sadly RS ANDOR gate aren't memory cell , it's a starmade bug ...

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    because the "RS ANDOR gate is just an AND gate ...
    here is the schematic with wire,input and not just the two gate :

there is only two memory cell possible: RS NOR and RS NAND -> every other latches (JK, T, D) are made from these two
    and you can't make sequential logic without inverters, only combinational logic, memory being the basement of sequential logic

EDIT: it shows that logic is broken (even if it works fine with almost everything)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store

there is only two memory cell possible: RS NOR and RS NAND -> every other latches (JK, T, D) are made from these two
    and you can't make sequential logic without inverters, only combinational logic, memory being the basement of sequential logic

EDIT: it shows that logic is broken (even if it works fine with almost everything)
    Please take note that the R input on the AND has to be negated in your circuit.(which effectively turns the circuit into a NOR-RS cell, since both of these do the same:
    )

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

Alright I will just call it a SvenCell™. I don't care what the name is. The logic is sound this is not a broken circuit or a bug.

The Default state would be low. The And side input is high (R), the Or side input is low (S).

1. If R goes from high to low, nothing happens as the AND is not receiving both signals it needs in order to change state.
    2. If S goes from low to high, the Or will change state as it only needs one high input. This in turn will cause the And to change to high as it now has both inputs required to change, it then in turn puts it's input back into the Or, thus holding the state when S goes back low.
    3. If S goes from low to high in this state nothing happens as the Or is already receiving a high signal so it holds it's state.
    4. Now R goes from high to low, the And is no longer receiving both signals it needs so it turns low, in turn the or is no longer receiving a signal so it turns low.
    You cannot apply all real world mechanics to the in game counterpart. real circuits require power, have resistance. These things do not exists in Starmade. When I build circuits I think of them as if I am writing a script or a program as I have more background in that area then electrical engineering.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    yo, Sven. did you manage to make a single pulse monostable yet?

I'm developing a support tool for my Boom Lance weapon and need a monostable circuit that only produces 1 output signal at a time no matter how many inputs pulses are sent