Stars Collide: The new Universe Arrives!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I guess something went wrong with the multi-threading in the later dev builds. Because it's like I said, the first dev builds had planets loaded within seconds, with no noticeable lag (except for the normal constant frame drop). But now my fps drops to 3, the game freezes constantly and the only way to not make it lag is by not looking at the planet, flying away or landing on it. Neither of which you want to do when you feel like flying by.
    Yeah I noticed this in .1783, I went from 250+ FPS to 1 when I teleported to a planet. In .179 it seems fine but now my main universe wont start.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Edit: also due to the current grid nature of the stars locations, from some angles, the majority of the back ground stars look like binary systems, this too made me feel at odds with realism.
    Actually, it's estimated that 80% of the visible star systems in the sky are binary systems. The or 4 closest stars to earth are actually multi-star systems. The closest to us, Proxima Centari, is actually a trinary system.

Reactions: montecristo

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I thought Alpha Centari was a binari system?

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought Alpha Centari was a binari system?
    Nope. Trinary. The third star, proxima, orbits Alpha at a distance at least twice as far as Pluto does from our star.

It's weird. ;P

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Looks like 0.179 is out for Dev. Wonder what changes are afoot :D

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ... and weapon range and firing rate appear to have doubled(?) Haven't compared damage with previous. Might be time for a minor refit if it's not a bug...

Reaction score
    Actually, it's estimated that 80% of the visible star systems in the sky are binary systems. The or 4 closest stars to earth are actually multi-star systems. The closest to us, Proxima Centari, is actually a trinary system.
    yes i know, but normally binarys are so close that at a distance they seem like single points or stars. when you look up at the night sky you dont see a bunch of double point, just single ones

Edit: forgot to mention this seems to be solved now in .179 maybe im just imagining it, but they seem to show more randomized now and more natural looking :) the map is still super grid like however. i realize its a result of the way galaxies are organized into system cubes and sector sub cubes. but maybe not every star has to be in the center of a system cube. or perhaps the orbitals of larger stars could occupy more then one system. i dunno, but i just feel like the current "hard grid" is a little jarring compared to everything else.

Last edited:

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    That reminds me of Minecraft, when people join a server, build a boat, and sail away across the (then massive) oceans to find a place where no one bothers you.

I rather like it.
    I would be careful though, the voids between galaxies will be FAR more dangerous than the oceans of minecraft. Something to keep in mind. ;)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would be careful though, the voids between galaxies will be FAR more dangerous than the oceans of minecraft. Something to keep in mind. ;)
    Really? I know it isn't yet although it took me well over an hour of constant jumps to make the journey.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Maybe we will get some really nasty pirates or gigantic creatures in the space between galaxies Dormant Tyranid Hive Fleet

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not even sure it needs to be dangerous, there is nothing out in the black and it takes forever to reach the next galaxy over with jump drives. The boredom you face is danger enough o_O

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I'm not even sure it needs to be dangerous, there is nothing out in the black and it takes forever to reach the next galaxy over with jump drives. The boredom you face is danger enough o_O
    Maybe it doesn't NEED to be...but it I'll just say this. Hold on to your butts. =) Also using a warp gate will get you considerably closer to the next galaxy, at least if you start from one "arm" I believe you should be able to get close to the next one with one warp gate. Or at least that's how Cal talked about it previously.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe it doesn't NEED to be...but it I'll just say this. Hold on to your butts. =) Also using a warp gate will get you considerably closer to the next galaxy, at least if you start from one "arm" I believe you should be able to get close to the next one with one warp gate. Or at least that's how Cal talked about it previously.
    You'll need a midway station, like in Stargate Atlantis, I can dig it. Also darn you and your insider info. :p

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    You'll need a midway station, like in Stargate Atlantis, I can dig it. Also darn you and your insider info. :p
    Oh that was just more of a convenient "in the right place at the right time" info. I think he said it on a stream we were all in. That said, if I did have any insider info, and I'm not saying I do, I wouldn't be spreading it around. =P Because if I did know something, which I may or may not, and I did or did not tell you, I may or may not have to kill you after I did or did not tell you the information I may or may not know. You know?

Reactions: TheOppwnent
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh that was just more of a convenient "in the right place at the right time" info. I think he said it on a stream we were all in. That said, if I did have any insider info, and I'm not saying I do, I wouldn't be spreading it around. =P Because if I did know something, which I may or may not, and I did or did not tell you, I may or may not have to kill you after I did or did not tell you the information I may or may not know. You know?
    Hmmm, I wonder... Carnivorous space dwelling sharks with a taste for hardened hull and lasers for eyes or some kind of spatial distortions could be interesting.... Just as long as it's not "Oh you left the bounds of the galaxy. HERE! Have some pirates!"

Reaction score
    This is what an old universe currently looks like:
    starmade-screenshot-0039.jpeg

(No matter in which direction you look.)