Stars Collide: The new Universe Arrives!

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    And with it, some surprises! :D

first thing: The new Universe Design is on the dev build! It looks awesome!
    Pictures seem to have a bad background to them. Gonna try inverting the white, but in the meantime, it would be great if someone could upload some pictures that don't have a pure white background :)

It looks huge. And, to be even more awesome - it has some sort of trade lane thing. That I think might be hyperspace. But I'm unable to tell. It looks cool though. I am gonna start looking for hyperspace blocks.

I can't see any other galaxies, though. THIS IS SO COOL.

Oh my. Just tried out the wormholes. (Hyperspace). Holy....wow. My god. It's so random.....

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What's on the dev build is largely incomplete (the universe is mostly empty), but it is pretty cool. A dev build in its truest form. I do think this layout will be pretty good once they roll it out. I made it a point to see what happens if you go off the edge of the galaxy and it turns out that there is another galaxy (but it does not show up on the map yet). There's a huge empty void between the galaxies if you ever just want to get away from it all. I have the feeling this is just the beginning of the update too.

Reaction score
    I liked it because it showed what's to come, although in a rudimentary sense.

I especially liked the implications: While it is just barebones, it shows us that the foundation is laid down and some new and exiting stuff could arrive in time. Hopefully there's enough soon so that @aceface and his crew can give us a rundown.

@Sven_The_Slayer Offtopic, but your accent is exactly not what I thought it would be. It's so weird reading people's posts and then hearing their actual voice. It's just me right?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Were you able to escape the wormholes?
    Yes it works, when you use a jumpdrive in the right moment.
    If you got no Jumpdrive, well then youre getting lost in space.

The Universe isnt empty. you have to use the new Scanner Blocks to find Space Stations, Shops and stuff.
    There seems to be 0 to 4 Planets in one solar System.

And for some Reason the AI is turned off by default.
    If someone know how to turn it on pls tell.

all in all nice dev build shows good Image of the new Universe.

Beware of Wormholes!!! ^^

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What's on the dev build is largely incomplete (the universe is mostly empty), but it is pretty cool. A dev build in its truest form. I do think this layout will be pretty good once they roll it out. I made it a point to see what happens if you go off the edge of the galaxy and it turns out that there is another galaxy (but it does not show up on the map yet). There's a huge empty void between the galaxies if you ever just want to get away from it all. I have the feeling this is just the beginning of the update too.
    I already crossed over into the next galaxy using my jump drive, it took bloody forever. There was nothing to find and the map doesn't even work yet for more than one galaxy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think there needs to be a way to conquer an entire galaxy, and then have that galaxy only count as one system in terms of cost.

There also need to be a lot more ways to get FP. I'd personally like to take all the systems in one galaxy, but with the FP costs per turn getting insanely high, I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I did manage to get out of a wormhole. What did you do that I didn't?

Reaction score
    im really liking the over all look and feel of the new galaxy and map with the exception of one thing. i found it very jarring and artificial the way all the stars are in a perfect grid in the shape of a galaxy. i really hope this is one of the WIP parts and the stars locations will be a little more randomized.

but other then that this is looking fantastic. i almost dropped my coffee when i realized worm holes were added :D

Edit: also due to the current grid nature of the stars locations, from some angles, the majority of the back ground stars look like binary systems, this too made me feel at odds with realism.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I liked it because it showed what's to come, although in a rudimentary sense.

I especially liked the implications: While it is just barebones, it shows us that the foundation is laid down and some new and exiting stuff could arrive in time. Hopefully there's enough soon so that @aceface and his crew can give us a rundown.

@Sven_The_Slayer Offtopic, but your accent is exactly not what I thought it would be. It's so weird reading people's posts and then hearing their actual voice. It's just me right?
    you know what i'll do that today :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    when you opened that map in your video and I saw all the stars and yelled "whoa" out loud and awoke my sleeping girlfriend... she was not pleased.

But forget her this is awesome!

Reaction score
    you know what i'll do that today :D
    Do us a favour and mail it when you're done would you? Hope I'm not being too cheeky. Look forward to it :)

@timethatswasted Girlfriends waste precious Starmade time. I know this because I totally once had a girlfriend. Who was real, and like existed and that.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I wonder what kind of universe customization options we will get.

Obviously this is just the frame work for it. I spent some time exploring and only found one planet heh.

Also I hope there will be a way to adjust the number of asteroids that spawn in the asteroid belts. Right now only one asteroid is spawning per sector. This is fine if your sector size is the standard 1km, but if you use 5km or 10km like a lot of servers are planning, traveling that far for one asteroid is a bit much

Basically I hope we can scale the universe generation based on scaling the sector size, otherwise it makes being about to adjust sector size pointless.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I did manage to escape the wormholes with JDrive. That was pretty crazy, as I whipped around the galaxy at a massive speed. It was scary fast lol.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Yes it works, when you use a jumpdrive in the right moment.
    If you got no Jumpdrive, well then youre getting lost in space.

The Universe isnt empty. you have to use the new Scanner Blocks to find Space Stations, Shops and stuff.
    There seems to be 0 to 4 Planets in one solar System.

And for some Reason the AI is turned off by default.
    If someone know how to turn it on pls tell.

all in all nice dev build shows good Image of the new Universe.

Beware of Wormholes!!! ^^
    Do you really have to use sensors? That is nice. I personally hope that wormholes aren't revealed till you get close and that we can sell the information of our discoveries to someone like the trading guild for others to see. That way we are forced to explore a bit more.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Do you really have to use sensors? That is nice. I personally hope that wormholes aren't revealed till you get close and that we can sell the information of our discoveries to someone like the trading guild for others to see. That way we are forced to explore a bit more.
    Wormholes show up by default on the galactic map. Since Scanners are system wide, it would be hard to scout a wormhole without accidentally falling in.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some stars are also brighter.

Tip: use a tiny (3 block) ship to fly around wormholes. Bigger ships are affected more by the massive gravity.

Reaction score
    Some stars are also brighter.

Tip: use a tiny (3 block) ship to fly around wormholes. Bigger ships are affected more by the massive gravity.
    Tip: use a tiny (3 block) ship to fly through the wormholes. That way (when you're repeatedly unable to prevent being sucked back into the wormhole you just exited) you can delete your ship's core to stop your galactic tour.