StarMade v0.19519 Cargo & more

Reaction score
    I have been, off and on for the last several hours been attempting to put my thoughts in order to go more in-depth as to why I consider the new inventory system to be inferior to the old one. Alas, I keep rewriting it and it's getting late for me and I'm no longer sure it's understandable so I'm going to condense it(Yes, this is condensed):

New system flaws:
    - Zero scaling means that bases are going to utilize a considerably larger block count for no other purpose than to handle inventory. Between server limits and personal computer specs, this may become an issue in either reducing the amount of blocks available in a given area for aesthetic construction. The flat amount per cargo makes inventory management considerably harsher on new players or anyone starting fresh while turns into little more than a minor inconvenience for established players/factions. Increasing base capacity isn't a great solution due to...

-Less inventory management than before. While minor, on a base you may have had to locate a specific storage and perhaps set up feeder systems. Now? One storage can act as the input AND output for an entire supply chain. Slave enough cargo spaces to a single storage, slave it to your manufacturing blocks which you then slave(in addition to any docks) to the storage and you're done.

-What little management that does exist now focuses on a item stat you have to look at an item tooltip for.

A set of changes that would have achieved the stated goals of increasing inventory management a bit more:

-Reduce/implement a maximum stack size. Have it be drastically lower for player inventory.
    -Reduce player slot amounts. 10-20 is enough. 30 or so would be fine for storage modules.
    -Have cargo spaces add a fixed stack size increase to the storage they are slaved to.
    -Augment the fixed stack boost with a scaling boost with diminishing returns. Smaller setups may only need enough storage modules(with a few cargo blocks) to have enough slots for every item while larger setups would need to run a supply chain if they want maximum block/storage.
    -Require cargo spaces to have physical contact with the storage the group is linked to.
    -Cargo spaces "fill up" first when determining mass on a ship.
    -Remove multi-slot blocks from general use and allow them only in creative mode/shipyard designing.

This would remove early-game tedium that now exists while maintaining some relevance for those with larger amounts of resources while reducing the overall block usage devoted to mere storage. The physical connection requirement for the cargo space/storage link will cause players to make some design choices that are a bit more realistic compared to the, "weapon modules link upon contact," mechanic(I have an idea on that too but will wait till I wake up to mutter about). It also maintains the distributed mass on ships change that I do agree with.

And I'm about done. Off to bed after going against what I said earlier(I think) and comment on the power change:

Now because power regen still scales well till 2 million, that issue should be resolved. After that point ships usually have enough volume to allow external, on-board reactors.
    Obviously this also buffed external reactors but those reactors can be easily re-balanced by tweaking the power supply blocks. How much this is going to change depends on feedback and play testing. Ideally we just need to tweak it without you requiring to change anything on your existing reactors.
    While I'm new and all, I'm kinda surprised the reactor/power supply block combo is being advocated by a red name. I may have misunderstood the setup but from how it sounds it's essentially a ship entity that generates max energy and just shoots it back at the "mother" ship it's docked to. That honestly sounds more like an exploit than anything that should be considered a legit design strategy. Perhaps some looking into increasing capacitor usefulness is in order as was suggested above. I'd figure that power-wise the balance would be that small ships have more of their power recharge freed due to having less drain while larger ships have less "usable" recharge but have larger pool to work with. Part of that whole balance thing. Small fighters get consistent fire at the cost of limited amount while a larger ship with higher capacity may not regen as much(due to systems using up a portion of the regen rate) but have a larger pool with which they can work with to either deliver powerful shots, or a barrage of weaker ones.

Ok, now I'm done and off to bed. And yes, this was STILL shorter than my original post.

Reaction score
    I just checked the block config and unfortunately it seems the Micro Assembler is the only inventory using block that can't link to cargo space. This will be fixed asap, thank you for mentioning this.

However, I can't reproduce that salvage computer issue. My own salvagers work fine linked or not linked to a chest, could you PM me the details (ship blueprint for example) so we can figure out the issue?
    Can I adjust the block config file to allow for the storage?

Thanks for finding the storage containers in the crew quarters I forgot about those.

Reaction score
    Please change the power softcap back to 1 million. I know it's nice to have lots of power but the thing is it doesn't really change anything and makes people who've built lots of ships have to completely refit existing ships to be able to perform at the new optimum. I don't understand why this was necessary to being with. If it's to buff cloaking, just alter cloaking not the power that changes layouts for ever single other system...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Please change the power softcap back to 1 million. I know it's nice to have lots of power but the thing is it doesn't really change anything and makes people who've built lots of ships have to completely refit existing ships to be able to perform at the new optimum. I don't understand why this was necessary to being with. If it's to buff cloaking, just alter cloaking not the power that changes layouts for ever single other system...
    Refitting ships is the nature of playing in alpha. I personally have ships still waiting to be fit with shield rechargers.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Are there other people who see a sharp increase in power use? This now breaks my ship.
    It might be due to any cargo on your ship. It will add mass and therefore requires more power to move your ship. Not 100 % if that is how mass plays into thrust/power but I am fairly positive.

Reduce/implement a maximum stack size. Have it be drastically lower for player inventory.
    -Reduce player slot amounts. 10-20 is enough. 30 or so would be fine for storage modules.
    How is it justifiable to give a stack size of let's say 1000 for a single item, as opposed to 1000 total different items? There is no actual reason to say you can carry a lot of one thing in large amounts but not a lot of different things in small amounts.

Require cargo spaces to have physical contact with the storage the group is linked to.
    There are plenty of systems in the game that do not require physical contact and it is something that should only be reserved for systems such as power or weapons where (to us at least) it makes sense to group those structures together. It's a bit in the opposite direction to force players to build a certain way. If they want their cargo elsewhere why shouldnt they?

Remove multi-slot blocks from general use and allow them only in creative mode/shipyard designing.
    I am positive that this is a bad idea. This bumps up the amount of scrolling done in inventory screens by a significant amount. There is only so much space to a screen and I don't really want to spend time sorting through a massive inventory just because we removed stacking. The goal is to create some organization. Just to split up all colors of hull/armor into different slots results in over 240 new slots to look at. That is very unappealing.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    No, this doesn't push the issue to the 3 million mark. At that size ships have enough volume to fill with functional systems and they don't need a buff.
    Wouldn't the better solution be to NOT cripple ships for cosmetic additions; no mass for cosmetic blocks, no need for more effects, change hull into cosmetic blocks?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Just noticed something else:

Along with not being able to remove blocks while building if your inventory is over weight, you can also not move blocks from storage to storage if it would put your inventory over weight.

Im trying to move all my blocks from the 20 or so different storage containers i have to one central one, but cannot. Factories will also not produce anything if they are overweight as well, which isnt a problem if they are hooked up to a storage container, but the case with mine is they werent, and so now i have a ton of useless materials that i cant move.

Reaction score
    I like the cargo update. It fraking rocks. The only complaint I have is the lack of being able to sort the inventory. While the filter is good. It would be nice to be able to sort them into the same order as when in creative.

Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like the cargo update. It fraking rocks. The only complaint I have is the lack of being able to sort the inventory. While the filter is good. It would be nice to be able to sort them into the same order as when in creative.
    Yeah old style sorting rooms are more or less useless in this system as each chest would need it's own dedicated cargo area defined. There is no good way to sort our items while keeping a single large cargo area.

Also, I get wanting to low-ball settings as buffing them later is more well received but each chest/storage block can only fit 100 mass. This seems way extreme even for low-balling.

Reaction score
    Refitting ships is the nature of playing in alpha. I personally have ships still waiting to be fit with shield rechargers.
    For gods sake.

Oh I'm sorry, I don't have unlimited free time!

There's no reason to change the power!
    It was fine!, there hasn't been any reason, all what it does if screws everyone over, makes using a radarjammer on a super heavy armour tank non costly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449336964,1449336816][/DOUBLEPOST]"Let sleeping dogs lie".

If there isn't a problem don't change it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It might be due to any cargo on your ship. It will add mass and therefore requires more power to move your ship. Not 100 % if that is how mass plays into thrust/power but I am fairly positive.
    Thanks for the reply.

Your anwser got me thinking and underlines a bigger problem. My own astronaut stash and station stash are 5000% over. I cant offload my items. I also cant pickup anything or make anything. If my own astronaut stash is now a weight factor that is added to the ship then that might also add to the power use.

But i can offload to test! I also cant make any cargo spacers let alone get them out of the factory. And i'm not alone with this.

Please remove the cargo weight/mass/limit thing from astronauts and stations it should only effect ships. I am completly stuck!

base plus ships.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While I'm not sure this is the right place to put it, as much as I would love to say good things about the update, I cannot let the fact that the cargo spaces cause EXTREME framerate lag, even when not inside ship, in comparision to any other block when used in similar building fashion, go unstated.

I should say that this is occuring when trying to setup the cargo in a room that is roughly 150 wide, 50 tall, and 300 long ish

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    For gods sake.

Oh I'm sorry, I don't have unlimited free time!

There's no reason to change the power!
    It was fine!, there hasn't been any reason, all what it does if screws everyone over, makes using a radarjammer on a super heavy armour tank non costly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449336964,1449336816][/DOUBLEPOST]"Let sleeping dogs lie".

If there isn't a problem don't change it.
    Just about every big update renders old ships obsolete. If you don't have time to refit, abandon the ship and begin anew. I don't have the time so I have a long queue of ships waiting for refits and I am too stubborn to abandon any of them. Not wanting to refit ships is no reason to not make changes. If that's the attitude of the community at large than what's the point of continuing to develop the game? Let's just call it finished now so nobody will ever have to refit a ship again to accommodate changes. The problem with power is the cap was reached too easily and then you were forced to use docked reactors or just system spam. If you didn't spam systems and ignored the cap and just built ships like normal then I bet this update comes with no repercussions, only benefits.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    There is a difference between "we added awesome new feature that require refitting" and "we decided to fuck over 90% of old designs and put in a new meta with pitiful variety."

I mean, seriously, with this kind of change, they might as well just make all weapons come with overdrive by default, and allow every ship to permacloak for free.

What does this change add? Nothing good. What does it break? Everything.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There is a difference between "we added awesome new feature that require refitting" and "we decided to fuck over 90% of old designs and put in a new meta with pitiful variety."

I mean, seriously, with this kind of change, they might as well just make all weapons come with overdrive by default, and allow every ship to permacloak for free.

What does this change add? Nothing good. What does it break? Everything.
    The majority of my ships don't reach the original power cap, therefore they are not effected by this change. The few of my ships that did go over the power cap I did not change how I built my reactors because they were over the cap, they get a direct buff and do not require being refit. I doubt 90% of the ships out there need to be refit because the power cap has been doubled. Is there any way in which this change actually negatively effects a ship? If the power systems were just slapped in once the power cap was reached they do not now perform worse with the new cap they just don't take advantage of it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just about every big update renders old ships obsolete. If you don't have time to refit, abandon the ship and begin anew. I don't have the time so I have a long queue of ships waiting for refits and I am too stubborn to abandon any of them. Not wanting to refit ships is no reason to not make changes. If that's the attitude of the community at large than what's the point of continuing to develop the game? Let's just call it finished now so nobody will ever have to refit a ship again to accommodate changes. The problem with power is the cap was reached too easily and then you were forced to use docked reactors or just system spam. If you didn't spam systems and ignored the cap and just built ships like normal then I bet this update comes with no repercussions, only benefits.
    This is quite true. I decided to load up an old ship i made a long time ago and abandoned because its just...ugly and was built more for what i wanted at the time, a huge terran like battleship. This update makes the big railgun i put on actually able to fire without turning my ship into a floating asteroid. Back then at the time i couldnt, and still dont know if i can use docked batteries because of the lag they made my computer experience.

Still not going to use it yet, because it needs massive retrofits still, but yea, the new power system is great(IMO) for those of us who have trouble using batteries.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    The majority of my ships don't reach the original power cap, therefore they are not effected by this change.
    Yes they are. Because of how the math was done, all of your ships that were right at or beneath the original softcap now have approximately twice the power generation.

Is there any way in which this change actually negatively effects a ship?
    It DOESN'T negatively effect most ships, unless they were already over the softcap and not using docked reactors, in which case they are now even weaker than before. That is the PROBLEM. Power got a massive buff, so now it is barely even a design consideration on any vessel under the softcap. Does the fact that an armor tank now has enough excess power generation to be able to cloak not make it obvious that ships can have way too much fucking power generation now?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    So I tried out the new cargo system, and nothing happened. The capacity of the storage block hasn't increased, no crates appeared in the cargo space blocks when I put things in the storage block.

As you can see I have cargo space blocks linked to my storage module. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
    starmade-screenshot-0000.png

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Still not going to use it yet, because it needs massive retrofits still, but yea, the new power system is great(IMO) for those of us who have trouble using batteries.
    If your ship was already over the softcap, this is actually worse, because batteries are now twice as effective compared to just placing reactors.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If your ship was already over the softcap, this is actually worse, because batteries are now twice as effective compared to just placing reactors.
    its *OLD* the generators sucked to begin with, it never went above the softcap at all, maxed out at 500k energy regen, with a stupid amount of power generators placed cause i had /no/ idea how the power system worked when i was making it!
    As i said, it needs a massive refit to be viable at all, even before this update.

Reactions: StormWing0