StarMade v0.19519 Cargo & more

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could, you know, link a storage block to a cargo system, and carry your cargo with you, and set it as a personal cargo, allowing you to build on the go. You just need to make sure you can haul all those blocks with you as you go. If you'd rather have infinite thrust and capacity for blocks, you might as well be cheating/using creative mode anyway, no offense.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449287428,1449287136][/DOUBLEPOST]

Without knowing if the power curve itself changed, really changing the soft cap actually has little effect in the long run. Anyone who wanted more than 1mil/sec used docked reactors or power blobs anyway, and the difference between 1mil soft and 2mil soft is not as significant when you need 30+mil e/s to power some of the massive entities some people have. Docked reactors and powersupply effectively nullified smaller emp and powerdrain weapons on small scales anyway, so how is this so game breakingly different? You get the same 2mil cap, so just build an EMP gun of bigger size?
    Basically same curve, more power.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    You could, you know, link a storage block to a cargo system, and carry your cargo with you, and set it as a personal cargo, allowing you to build on the go. You just need to make sure you can haul all those blocks with you as you go. If you'd rather have infinite thrust and capacity for blocks, you might as well be cheating/using creative mode anyway, no offense.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449287428,1449287136][/DOUBLEPOST]

Without knowing if the power curve itself changed, really changing the soft cap actually has little effect in the long run. Anyone who wanted more than 1mil/sec used docked reactors or power blobs anyway, and the difference between 1mil soft and 2mil soft is not as significant when you need 30+mil e/s to power some of the massive entities some people have. Docked reactors and powersupply effectively nullified smaller emp and powerdrain weapons on small scales anyway, so how is this so game breakingly different? You get the same 2mil cap, so just build an EMP gun of bigger size?
    The bonus energy regen based on group dimensions has doubled, but each block apparently still gives only 25 e/s base. The problem is that you literally cannot make a bigger gun on a smaller ship without getting an entirely new ship, because there's absolutely no space for it left.

I've got a player in my faction who's now permacloaking a 3k mass heavy armor tank - and the ship didn't even have a particularly fantastic power system in the first place.

While power did need a slight adjustment to discourage docked reactor usage, the way they went about it was like going squirrel hunting with cruise missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If the power curve is that big an issue maybe see if your server's admin will reduce it in the config?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thats my point. I would have much preferred a stack system like minecraft instead of a weight system like we have now, much higher numbers of course. You can still only carry around a max number of blocks, but you arent limited by weight, and it doesnt affect your ships ability to move.

Edit: and why cant you remove blocks when you are overweight, just make it so the player moves slower, up to a set limit, where it makes it so they cant walk at all.(this would literally remove all problems with it)

This has more or less destroyed the ability for players *not* to have a starbase, now they need one. i mean i was going to build one eventually, but for someone like my brother, he cant do what he enjoys!
    This is still over exagurating. Building a cargo hold on your ship, using the cargo system, can provide you with quite a bit of room for added blocks. Using this system to make the cargo hold a personal cargo allows you to use this hold from astronaut or build mode without having the blocks in your inventory. In fact, this means that you can access more types of blocks than before, since cargo can now effectively have every single block in the game in a single hold, dependent only by mass.

The bonus energy regen based on group dimensions has doubled, but each block apparently still gives only 25 e/s base. The problem is that you literally cannot make a bigger gun on a smaller ship without getting an entirely new ship, because there's absolutely no space for it left.

I've got a player in my faction who's now permacloaking a 3k mass heavy armor tank - and the ship didn't even have a particularly fantastic power system in the first place.

While power did need a slight adjustment to discourage docked reactor usage, the way they went about it was like going squirrel hunting with cruise missiles.
    There have been a lot of updates that make ships change drastically in form from damage output to power usage that required modification in the past, and this one is no different. On top of that, the addition of cargo and the prior changes to mass of armor require a DRASTICALLY higher thruster count to offset the heavier weight of the ship, which in turn requires even more power to run thrusters alone. I think raising the cap is a simple way of helping address this issue without having to completely re-write power systems. I'm in no way saying its the best solution, but a quick fix that required only a couple of keystrokes is, imho, better than having to deal with the issues of mass and weight for months before a fix is in place.

To address cloaking, everyone wanted changes to cloaking anyway, I dont see that as a bad thing. It just means that it's easier to make cloaked ships of decent size using the current system, again with a keystroke instead of months of code.

To top all of this off, 2mil might be too much, but that's EXACTLY what the game balance thread is for. Two weeks is the MAXIMUM amount of time we might have to deal with any specific change, and can recommend, after playtesting, an additional change, like moving it to 1.5 mil, then maybe thats too low to keep cloaking fun, so it goes to 1.8, then 1.65, or whatever, until it's BALANCED. This is how game balance works. You dont find the middle ground without finding the edges of what might be game breaking, and at this point it's too early to tell.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I'd say 1.5mil would be a nice middle-ground to start off with rather than just jumping to 2mil.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is still over exagurating. Building a cargo hold on your ship, using the cargo system, can provide you with quite a bit of room for added blocks. Using this system to make the cargo hold a personal cargo allows you to use this hold from astronaut or build mode without having the blocks in your inventory. In fact, this means that you can access more types of blocks than before, since cargo can now effectively have every single block in the game in a single hold, dependent only by mass.
    From the way they have it worded, the personal cargo is only for things that the shipyard isnt for, which would be ship building. Shipyards cant build space stations, or planetary stations, or asteroid stations, and how this is worded.

Oh, just FYI. We forgot to mention.

There's personal cargo as well. So as a player you can assign one cargo area as personal cargo. So long as you're within a certain proximity to that cargo area you'll be able to have access to it. This is designed to assist you in building stations, on planets, or anything else that's not done in a shipyard. This system will be balanced soon so the distance will probably be reduced, but for now, enjoy.
    It doesnt work for space ships, at least it reads that way as well.(which is why *i* and another person have complained). I could honestly see them setting it up as such as well. If it isnt, ill accept im wrong and go back to building after i cheat the shops in my game to have the new blocks, so i can buy some and build a cargo hold on the ship im currently building.

Edit: Actually the patch notes are very unclear on how the whole cargo system works at all, should be way more detailed than that.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    From the way they have it worded, the personal cargo is only for things that the shipyard isnt for, which would be ship building. Shipyards cant build space stations, or planetary stations, or asteroid stations, and how they have the patch notes worded, the personal cargo is for things like that, and not space ships.(which is why *i* and another person have complained). I could honestly see them setting it up as such as well. If it isnt, ill accept im wrong and go back to building after i cheat the shops in my game to have the new blocks, so i can buy some and build a cargo hold on the ship im currently building.

Edit: Actually the patch notes are very unclear on how the whole cargo system works at all, should be way more detailed than that.
    Well, maybe you shouldnt complain before you test it, because you DONT need a space station or base to access the personal cargo, which I show on my cargo spotlight video (link in sig). It works just like having a huge expanded inventory that isnt on your person, like remote wireless storage access. You just plop a storage block down, open it with "r", hit the personal cargo button, and bam, you can access anything in that storage block (or linked cargo space) from quite the distance (I went about half a kilo away to a nearby shop, and sold things from the cargo that was on my ship, which I was not inside of or piloting, since I flew a core over for my journey to the shop). I think if you try it you might like it.

Also, in all of this, you still cant have factories on a ship, which means for survival without shops you still kinda need a base of some sort.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    i dont see the problem with a higher power cap, could you(and im not trying to be rude) tell me what the problem is? How does this destroy current ships?
    It's a pointless change is my problem. There was no need for this as far as i can tell. I spent weeks building a 300k dps ship at 12k mass using a ton of logic and rails; it's now completely pointless because the same thing can now be achieved just building normally, which bypasses all the drawbacks my ship has. Again, not upset that it was changed; it's early access and changes are expected, but pointlessly changing things just because people want more power, which will never stop, means making stuff obsolete for no real reason.

It's not the cap itself that's an issue, its making pointless changes to the game willy nilly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, maybe you shouldnt complain before you test it, because you DONT need a space station or base to access the personal cargo, which I show on my cargo spotlight video (link in sig). It works just like having a huge expanded inventory that isnt on your person, like remote wireless storage access. You just plop a storage block down, open it with "r", hit the personal cargo button, and bam, you can access anything in that storage block (or linked cargo space) from quite the distance (I went about half a kilo away to a nearby shop, and sold things from the cargo that was on my ship, which I was not inside of or piloting, since I flew a core over for my journey to the shop). I think if you try it you might like it.

Also, in all of this, you still cant have factories on a ship, which means for survival without shops you still kinda need a base of some sort.
    As i said, the way the devs have worded their comments here indicates that you need a space station to do so and it only works on space stations, because shipyards are for ship building, if it isnt the case, they need to do make this information clear at the outset. i do not enjoy having to go to outside sources to find out information that should be given up front.

Since it is that way, ill do as i said, cheat a shop to have some of the things so i can build my cargo hold, and keep building my ship.

I am aware you cant place factories on ships, when im ready to build my station i will start building my station, including factories, currently i roam around take out prate stations since they are so easy to destroy and make money selling the loot i get to afford more block, thats how i play.

It's a pointless change is my problem. There was no need for this as far as i can tell. I spent weeks building a 300k dps ship at 12k mass using a ton of logic and rails; it's now completely pointless because the same thing can now be achieved just building normally, which bypasses all the drawbacks my ship has. Again, not upset that it was changed; it's early access and changes are expected, but pointlessly changing things just because people want more power, which will never stop, means making stuff obsolete for no real reason.

It's not the cap itself that's an issue, its making pointless changes to the game willy nilly.
    that does suck, but i suppose that it could be a good thing, despite the mass amount of wasted time setting up the logic blocks you spent of course, you dont have to do that again(at least for now),

Kinda need to load up my huge ship and see how much power it has(think it has a logic battery since i hit the cap)

I do understand the point about willy nilly changes though, it can get annoying for anyone, and it destroys more than it should!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As i said, the way the devs have worded their comments here indicates that you need a space station to do so and it only works on space stations, because shipyards are for ship building, if it isnt the case, they need to do make this information clear at the outset. i do not enjoy having to go to outside sources to find out information that should be given up front.
    How has it changed how you play though? The news post states that by default for now penalties for being over capacity are turned off, and it doesn't say anything about not having a personal inventory anymore?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How has it changed how you play though? The news post states that by default for now penalties for being over capacity are turned off, and it doesn't say anything about not having a personal inventory anymore?
    Trying to build, and it says i cant remove blocks because my inventory is full(its over weight, i have 10 empty slots)

Edit: problems been solved though, thanks Quantum!

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Players get mad when the devs wont take the time to make simple config edits in the middle of large content releases to help balance the content that's already aging compared to new systems. Then players get mad that changes were made, that could easily be reverted if they voted on it, in the name of balancing the game WHILE still providing content releases. Sometimes I dont understand others. You currently have a voice in an alpha game. If it's so game breaking, and you've tested and can logically prove it, then maybe you should vote for a change through the proper channels. I'm not going to argue the validity of it here.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Trying to build, and it says i cant remove blocks because my inventory is full(its over weight, i have 10 empty slots)
    Sorry, I misunderstood and didn't realise this happened. Is there a config option perhaps that would solve this issue ?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sorry, I misunderstood and didn't realise this happened. Is there a config option perhaps that would solve this issue ?
    Not that i see, but ill just build a cargo hold and see how badly it slows my ship down!
    im carrying around *alot* of two types of armor, so it wont surprise me to much if my ship slows to a crawl, which is fine.
    Config options are also turned off by default so thats a good thing too!

edit: guess ill have to use creative mode to make my cargo hold since i cant add any blocks to my inventory at all! :O

Reactions: Bonusinches

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Just so everyone knows the news post forgot to add that Teal Hull has been added!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    cant delete blocks because my inventory is full. -_-
    I believe as stated in the release video (which may not be in the OP) that over-encumbered players would move more slowly. This is an abrupt change to how inventories work so we would not force the loss of blocks or immobility on the player immediately. It is an option that is off. If the option is turned on then this may work however I do not know if it was intended to allow removal of blocks on a full inventory. It's worth discussing though.

replacing one broken system with another
    There is no new system. It is simply a change in a few values. If it is indeed as broken as players suggest we will look at alternate solutions.