Starmade V0.158

Reaction score
    I would be okay with slow acceleration on larger ships if the friction didn't impose such a low top speed. Poor combat maneuverability from bad accel is okay, but taking hours just to get from point A to B isn't

Reaction score
    Awesome update!

But I think thrusters got pretty seriously nerfed. I have a ship with over 16,000 thruster blocks that barely gets 6500 thrust now. Is this intended? What percentage of spaceships are intended to be thruster blocks?
    *EDIT* Thruster issue is a bug. No need for me to panic anymore about 'walrus speed' lol.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    InfoPoint_Online there seems to be an error with a new library I'm using for drawing graphs (for the new crafting system).
    Can you maybe try to see if updating java helps. I'll investigate to fix this asap
    Well, here is what I can say. I am running on OS X Yosemite (Beta I know). I have Java 6 from Apple. I then, after many tries, successfully configured Java 8 Pre-release which seems to have fixed the problem. It would seem that the new library is not compatible with Java 6. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I hope fighters gets some way to have thrust bonus. After the big engine nerf they are more worthless as ever...

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Now that mineral ores are being replaced by the new crystals, why do asteroids still have ores and not crystals. Also... it's more expensive to buy the crystals (which are extremely rare in an existing universe unless you go miles out) than it is to buy the part it makes. Is this a crafting update or phase out?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    1. i like how big ships now move more realistic,big whales like they are,this is a (+)
    2. fighters are now a bit too slow (-)
    3. from 500,000,000+ shields to 13,000,000 in my capital? sounds good,weapons and shields are balancing,but not quite there yet (+/-)
    4.New ingot ores and crystals to replace old minerals ,big (+)
    5. copy/paste .. 25x25x25 ,undo redo? (i love you Schema + + + + + )

-recap
    we are all mostly mad because smaller/medium size ships are slow like hell,dead in the water
    ..all other,its a good update,we will adapt fast

Reaction score
    Just kinda was hoping that instead of weakening other blocks, hulls would actually get a buff so they're useful...
    As far as I know, there's only three bytes to use for each block, one of them is HP. The biggest 8-bit(8 bits in a byte) number is 255. I doubt Schema wants runaway number inflation anyway. Hull will get a boost someday, and we'll maybe get a ship HP system too. Weakening ship components means that when hull becomes effective, it'll be important.

Reaction score
    Whats wrong with the thrusters? Now none of my ships can barely move even my fastest ship is barely going over 20 km. Everyone on the server I play on hates this update PLEASE fix this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I can only surmise that the current thruster setting with 1.58 is a bug? It seems that thrust has been dropped to about 1/4 of its previous setting. Any previous ship designs are now broken if this is not an unintended bug. Given the changes to shields, and the new massive requirements for thrusters, I would have to scrap all previous ships because I simply don't have the room for anything.

I don't see any choice but to again shelve the game while this is figured out. There's no point in building, and my ships are too slow to actually travel now, so I'll just keep an eye on the news for the patch.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    EDIT: MODS PLEASE DELETE, WAS FLAMEY AND BASED ON INCORRECT INFORMATION

Last edited:
    Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    Starmade does not launch for me, I get to the update/news screen but that's it.
    I have even updated java but it still doesn't work. I am on windows 7 64bit and the game was running great with 0.157.
    Anyone know how I can fix this?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Never mind guys; Cal messed up the config, he put a 0.1 where there's supposed to be a 1.1; thrust will be a bit better when a patch is released, though the diminished returns will still apply. Smaller ships should work a lot better, and larger ones should... still be slow, but be a bit more reasonable, I think, though I'm not certain.

If you want the proper thrust settings now:

On line 43 of your BlockBehaviorConfig, replace the 0.1 with <UnitCalcMult>1.1</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Yeah thrusters are butt turrible now. I can understand needing to slow down massive ships... but by this much? No ships work anymore except the absolute smallest ones.

Reaction score
    ** There was a typo in the config
    I've had to enter alot of 0.x integers on the config, and that habit bit me with the thrust setting.

Located at Line 43 -
    <UnitCalcMult>1.1</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->

This is the correct setting that should be in your starmade/data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.XML

Instead of adding the .1 (to compensate for the initial 0.9 on the diminishing curve) I typed 0.1
    that was giving small ships a severely reduced initial thrust. Sorry for the slip guys, but if you look in that file, there are alot of numbers to get wrong :(

I'll get schema the updated config ASAP and he'll upload it with the next hotfix (I'm sure you've found other bugs by now, right?)

Further balancing can be done from here if needed.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, sorry about the rage. I think I'll just go up and overwrite my posts up there... :P

Reaction score
    I've had to enter alot of 0.x integers on the config, and that habit bit me with the thrust setting.

Located at Line 43 -
    <UnitCalcMult>1.1</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->

This is the correct setting that should be in your starmade/data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.XML

Instead of adding the .1 (to compensate for the initial 0.9 on the diminishing curve) I typed 0.1
    that was giving small ships a severely reduced initial thrust. Sorry for the slip guys, but if you look in that file, there are alot of numbers to get wrong :(

I'll get schema the updated config ASAP and he'll upload it with the next hotfix (I'm sure you've found other bugs by now, right?)

Further balancing can be done from here if needed.
    Phew! Glad it's a bug. Thanks for the feedback. Gotta say you guys are really good with the community and we all love the game; it's why we're here! I would take solace in that even when we gripe and moan. I just get defensive about what I really like :D.

Also, the UNDO alone is a god send. Thank you guys.

Reaction score
    Oh, thank god. Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the really bitchin' features added!
    -> Copy paste? Yes, thank you, I'll take twenty!
    -> Undo? Literally added half an hour after I placed a 10x10x10 cube of thrusters in the middle of my complicated power generator thingy! Would have been great! Will be great in future!
    -> Removal filter? Made refitting ships with new shield gens a breeze. Awesome!
    -> Caps on defensive effects? Good for most! Necessary for Ion! Annoying for Overdrive! I'll live with it!

Seriously, though, this was the update that added many of the features that I wish the game had this whole time. Building will be a million times easer, mistakes far less costly. Awesome! Thank you, Schema and Calbiri!

Reactions: Tomino_sama

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, I believe that Undo is probably the awesomest feature I've seen implemented, besides possibly the new texture packs and planets.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thank goodness for copy and paste(and undo). I had a couple engine nozzles on my ship I liked, but I was not looking forward to rebuilding them another 3 times. With the copy and paste, several hours of work were done in about 10 minutes.