Starmade Shipyards

Reaction score
    Everything looks pretty cool, I especially like the cards but.

I can't get behind 'buying' ships.

I usually play single player with spurts of activity between friends. I play StarMade for the building experience. I regularly download ships to learn first hand how people achieved certain aesthetics or systems. Something which can be difficult to grasp in pictures (especially a one sided trading card).

Now you're saying I have to 'pay' or 'buy' blueprints in order to do this? I have to fiddle around with some sort of Metagame by putting my own ships for sale? That doesn't sound fun that sounds tedious.

And if I don't play by these rules I need to host my ships on a third-party sight and find other people who are willing to take the extra step to do the same on top of not being able to download ships on the site. Fun for everyone am I right?

Then there's the pure logistics of it, do you think that the creator of a super popular ship (ie Minotaur) downloads ships? Heck does he even play the game anymore? We'll see a few (possibly inactive) players sitting on MASSIVE stockpiles of these metacredits every once in a while downloading and equally big ship, but everyone else hangs at zero unless they themselves build a ship on par with the master builders.

Furthermore, this means that people won't download ships out of curiosity, they'll download ships they need. No one is going to download a 100 mass fighter, or a flying pickle, or a 1:1 Enterprise; they're going to download the ten thousand mass death machines because that's what they would use. That's what will get them the money. This will hurt hobbyists and new builders because how is someone whose spent a week in StarMade supposed to sell a flying brick? and how is he supposed to get better if he can't download a super good ship to see first-hand how to do it right?

Now if you want to give the creator a 'kickback' of ingame credits for someone downloading their ships be my guest. But adding a barrier of entry for anyone with simple curiosity of a ship's design is a serious step backwards.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @-Moose- , the idea bench had is in no way going to affect the current way of getting ships. You will still be able to just download them normally from either the community content section or the upcoming blueprint page for the registry. All bench's idea is doing is creating a fun way for people to trade ships and participate in some online ship battles based on stats. It encourages people to make their own ships and share them with other people, and gives them fun activities to do while they're not able to play the actual starmade.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    @-Moose- , the idea bench had is in no way going to affect the current way of getting ships. You will still be able to just download them normally from either the community content section or the upcoming blueprint page for the registry. All bench's idea is doing is creating a fun way for people to trade ships and participate in some online ship battles based on stats. It encourages people to make their own ships and share them with other people, and gives them fun activities to do while they're not able to play the actual starmade.
    How will it not effect the current way of getting ships? If enough people convert to using Benches site they have no incentive to also upload to Starmade dock. In fact it is disadvantageous for them to do so as that's less "credits" they can earn on the meta site. Therefore less ships will be available to those who choose not to participate. Say somebody like Dalmont chooses to only use the meta site, as far as I know he is the most popular content creator and every one of his ships would be unavailable to anybody not participating.

Oh and I also don't like the fact that this system more or less introduces a universal class system which is something I wholly appose.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The ships that will be in here will be reuploaded from the registry I think? (Bench plz confirm)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    True, that's been something I've been wrangling with. There's a number of ways to use credits but not as many ways to earn them. Perhaps you accumulate a certain amount of credits per day. like passing GO in Monopoly. Just being active helps you gain credits. Starting off though you'll receive credits, as well as uploading your first ship will also earn you an achievement that will earn you credits.
    Perhaps having a ship you created verified could earn you credits.

Users will need to log in to the site to flag ships. We'll see if a user goes and flags multiple ships, and they'll be required to enter a reason each time anyway. If we find they're trolling, we can ban them off the site and roll back any ships they've flagged. So trolling like that should be fairly controllable. We'll also be implementing automated checking for conditions when a player uploads a ship to catch players trying to upload the same ship twice, or players downloading ships and then trying to sell them again.
    IIRC there is a method for vandalization prevention used by reCaptcha systems, the EverQuest Next Landmark Claim (read: build) moderating system, and by zooniverse projects like GalaxyZoo.

The jist of it is to ignore or flag the inputs that "disagree" with the majority or the moderators.
    In the case of EQN:LM, many claims are rated by the devs/game masters, based on the very clear criteria of whether or not a claim is breaking any rules (ex: giant sex organs, swastikas, etc). And if you happened to cast a vote on a claim that they also voted on, and you disagreed with them, your voting "integrity" rating (that is tracked invisibly) would drop. If it should ever drop below a certain threshold, your votes would no longer be counted.

If such a system is used however, it should not be used to evaluate any criteria that could be considered subjective, like aesthetics.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Might be quite a bit of a necro, but is this still going to be a thing?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is all great news but...just a small thing. Can we have some different skin colours for the avatars? Having a toon actually resemble me would be cool.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Might be quite a bit of a necro, but is this still going to be a thing?
    Not in the near future but it's still planned. This update to the registry will go a long way to being able to make it happen. My workload is too much at the moment for me to look at working on this just yet, but it's definitely something we're still going to be doing at some point.

Reactions: Lecic and Mariux

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Not in the near future but it's still planned. This update to the registry will go a long way to being able to make it happen. My workload is too much at the moment for me to look at working on this just yet, but it's definitely something we're still going to be doing at some point.
    Glad to hear.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Whoa, I just noticed this... It sounds pretty freaking amazing. It needs some kind of faction tie-in for faction fleets, though, or... something.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    How did you JUST notice this???

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How did you JUST notice this???
    I blame my forum browsing habits... The title was generic-sounding and I failed to see Bench's avatar for some reason, so I passed it by until now. Maybe I thought it was some kind of rules thread or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Took me a sec to notice this was necro'd .... but it's still very confusing.

Primarily, I was under the impression there was no (not now and never will be) official ship class system. This idea contradicts that. Did I miss something?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Primarily, I was under the impression there was no (not now and never will be) official ship class system. This idea contradicts that. Did I miss something?
    No official IN GAME classification system (besides a possible capital ship system in the future.) This isn't in game, so it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No official IN GAME classification system (besides a possible capital ship system in the future.) This isn't in game, so it doesn't matter.
    But it will impose a classification system onto anybody using it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wow. Amazing. This will bring a lot of my friends into the game as we love card games and this seems completely unique.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

It's not an official ship class system, I started work on this before I joined Schine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Wait a sec. Is this still gonna happen Bench ? I didn't notice this was dead. It sounds amazing and idk how I missed seeing it rhe first time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What happened with this? is it going to make its way onto the road map or is this going to be a non-official thing? or just not a thing anymore?