Starmade Shipyards

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    At the moment it's not an official thing, it isn't part of the game, more a thing we'll be working on on the side once the registry API is done.

As such it's on the backburner for a bit.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Its an "unofficial expansion" perse

Reaction score
    Everything looks pretty cool, I especially like the cards but.

I can't get behind 'buying' ships.

I usually play single player with spurts of activity between friends. I play StarMade for the building experience. I regularly download ships to learn first hand how people achieved certain aesthetics or systems. Something which can be difficult to grasp in pictures (especially a one sided trading card).

Now you're saying I have to 'pay' or 'buy' blueprints in order to do this? I have to fiddle around with some sort of Metagame by putting my own ships for sale? That doesn't sound fun that sounds tedious.

And if I don't play by these rules I need to host my ships on a third-party sight and find other people who are willing to take the extra step to do the same on top of not being able to download ships on the site. Fun for everyone am I right?

Then there's the pure logistics of it, do you think that the creator of a super popular ship (ie Minotaur) downloads ships? Heck does he even play the game anymore? We'll see a few (possibly inactive) players sitting on MASSIVE stockpiles of these metacredits every once in a while downloading and equally big ship, but everyone else hangs at zero unless they themselves build a ship on par with the master builders.

Furthermore, this means that people won't download ships out of curiosity, they'll download ships they need. No one is going to download a 100 mass fighter, or a flying pickle, or a 1:1 Enterprise; they're going to download the ten thousand mass death machines because that's what they would use. That's what will get them the money. This will hurt hobbyists and new builders because how is someone whose spent a week in StarMade supposed to sell a flying brick? and how is he supposed to get better if he can't download a super good ship to see first-hand how to do it right?

Now if you want to give the creator a 'kickback' of ingame credits for someone downloading their ships be my guest. But adding a barrier of entry for anyone with simple curiosity of a ship's design is a serious step backwards.
    The way I understand it is thus: Ships uploaded to Starmade Shipyards can be used in these competitions, whereas those only uploaded to the community content site cannot. Now in order to address your concerns how about:

If you wanted to upload your brand spanking new ship to the shipyard, with the intention of making it public, it should be uploaded to the community content site too. Want to upload it to the shipyard just to show off, fair enough, you don't need to upload it to the community content site but it can't be used in competitions.

In my eyes this helps everyone from hobbyists to uber 1337 builders, and seeing as how Bench is in talks with the devs of the community site about intergration, (if i'm not massively mistaken here) it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While a cool sounding concept, I see it as being detrimental when we already have a system of free information in place.

As somebody who likes to offer my ships freely and doesn't like the idea of a metagame that breeds elitism I really can't support this idea. I already find it a hassle when browsing the community content section and I want to download a ship that is only posted on a third party site. It would be incredibly inconvenient and disparaging to find a nice ship on the forums only to find out it is linked to "Starmade Shipyards" and I would have to "buy" it. It would be disadvantageous for anybody wanting to use the system to post the ships on the starmade dock as those ships are available freely and they won't make "money". I already feel there is too much "secret" and "exclusive" designs, while I understand it in context to faction wars I really don't want to see having to buy and trade added to it.
    I agree with you for the most part. The only potential interesting thing that I think should definitely be implemented is the faction shipyard thing. Having a more formal recognition of factions on the dock would be nice, and being able to transfer faction blueprints confidentially would be much easier if it didn't have to be done either serverside or in a PM, as server ship catalogs tend to get messy when you are looking for a specific ship. So maybe instead of this, have a factions section, which can be linked to the appropriate forum page, a shipyard page (with the cards, but none of the character stuff or the weird credit or level system. Just a way to look at ships at a glance to see if they are the right blueprints.) a home page, media (videos, screenshots), and a member list. Maybe, if you want to make it even more useful, have it so that you can have registries for factions similar to those for players. Then, a faction leader could add a registered faction with all its members etc. to a server, and manage ranks, membership, and blueprints from the dock.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ^ perhaps. The thing is between now and when I'll probably start it the citizen registry will evolve as well, who knows what it might have in it. So I don't want to say it will have this or that as I don't want it competing with what the registry will do. I have a pretty unique thing I want to do with the Starmade shipyards site so while everything else is up in the air I'll stick to the plan until I get closer to actually doing the registry API integration.

Reaction score
    Bench, right now repairing heavily damaged ships is a bit of a nightmare. Seems like the best course of action is disassembling the entire ship, and spawning a new one via blueprint. It always seemed like shipyards would be the way around this. Since they are a long ways off, are there any plans on the horizon to make repairing a ship easier?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey PartyAlarm, I agree, however, I suggest you post a thread elswhere on this subject,as here it is off topic, like suggestions or general discussion

Reaction score
    Well, given that this is shipyard discussion it seems relevant. What I want to know is if there is a stopgap planned between now and implementation of the shipyard feature to help make ships easier to repair. No need to start a new thread and clutter things up imo

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    This is related to a 3rd Party project and not the shipyard system that has yet to be released. Please try reading the OP of this thread before posting people. :/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well, given that this is shipyard discussion it seems relevant. What I want to know is if there is a stopgap planned between now and implementation of the shipyard feature to help make ships easier to repair. No need to start a new thread and clutter things up imo
    Oops, let me clarify. This thread is about Bench's side project. Its all in the OP. Its not actually about the upcoming shipyard update. Anyway, a thread titled 'possible ways to repair your ship without paying' would draw a lot more attention on its own, anyway. I for one have been toying with ideas all day

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah the name doesn't help now that there's a planned shipyards system underway. lol.

So yeah where I said it's a while off, in this thread, I'm referring to the 3rd-party site, not the planned system :)

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hey!
    I got a little suggestion. I really didnt have time to read the thread cus im in a hurry so i hope this isnt a duplicate suggestion.

First, i gotta say that i totally dislike the "card" system but that doesnt matter cus its totally subjective and i will not try to suggest any other system.
    Now, by looking at the example how browsing would work it it seems a bit cluttered. If i get this correctly we would be seeing bunch of cards with pictures of ships and their stats. I would suggest one more option in the menu on the right side - "hide stat preview". This might suit players how are more into ship looks than stats. So instead of seeing the entire card you would see the screen shot of a ship in a, say, "half card mode" and that would mean u you be able to see maybe 2x more ship on one screen. With this suggestion considered there could be an additional option - enlarge the shot. That would mean that this option would make the stats part of the card disappear but you would get the screen shot of the ship at the double size.

This suggestion is only to help ppl interested mostly in looks of the ships and not stats.

Tnx for reading.

Edit: Engrish translated into English.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Its more likely that the card is exactly that a card. There will probably be a page that is similar to community content giving a more "classical" look for those who want more information.

Reaction score
    I know it's been a long time since somebody made a reply in this thread but I want to ask something. Will there be any quality control in regards to what ships are allowed to be become "cards" for others to collect? Like will people be able to flood the community with horrible giant box ships that clearly took no effort to make? Because if the idea is that Starmade is suppose to become a CCG of sorts then I feel at least some kind of quality control is a must. Nothing too strict of course, but I feel that in order for ships to be accepted they need to look like something that wasn't just thrown together in 10 min.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Obviously there would be quality control and volunteer moderators possibly.

Reaction score
    Sounds good. Another thing, why have the player manually enter the stats from his ship? Can't the site just scan the ship file and auto-detect the ship stats?