Starmade Ship Showcases

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    hey @Bench i got a cinematography question for you.

how do you make sure that the shadow of your camera ship does not get casted on the ship you're showing?

I'm running into that problem frequently since cores turn too quickly and awkwardly for smooth pans while bulkier ships cast a huge shadow, ruining the shot. the invisibility admin command only seems to turn the character model invisible, not the camera ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen

how do you make sure that the shadow of your camera ship does not get casted on the ship you're showing?

I'm running into that problem frequently since cores turn too quickly and awkwardly for smooth pans while bulkier ships cast a huge shadow, ruining the shot. the invisibility admin command only seems to turn the character model invisible, not the camera ship.
    Well, you could try using cloaking. Or you could just turn shadows off, that works too.

And I'm obviously not bench, but I like to help wherever I can.

Reactions: Maranello
    Reaction score
    Please, include the images (icons/avatars) for each class in the first post. There are other people who would like to use them, and, as you might know, cutting them from that image would result in poor quality...

Reaction score
    I wonder which class name would a ship with about 1,000,000,000 Mass :D
    Still not started because I could not start the game, but I've already made up my mind, and I am determined to create that barbarity.
    It would be a mothership of motherships, the first goddesship, capable of holding within the famous Death Star.
    which would be the name of that class?

Reaction score
    I wonder which class name would a ship with about 1,000,000,000 Mass :D
    Still not started because I could not start the game, but I've already made up my mind, and I am determined to create that barbarity.
    It would be a mothership of motherships, the first goddesship, capable of holding within the famous Death Star.
    which would be the name of that class?
    Death Star class sounds appropriate.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ship Classes

There's no official ship classifications, but I've decided to use a mix of Crusade's and GROOV3ST3R's basically it's based off mass, then a little bit of fiddling around regarding usage, armaments, docking, turrets and hangers etc.

This is what I'm planning to use in each of the showcase videos so you can at least see what ships fall in to what category.

Here's the breakdown of it as well as some shiny rankings....

Having a STANDARD classification would be cool, though it doesn't have to be the universally used one. Like say... Call this system the official classification system, and still allow players to have "player rankings" as it were. But having a standard classification really helps, cos then players can easily work everything out and class their ships right. As it is, my WIP ship, the Stormlance, is already nudging the Destroyer class by this ranking. In fact, I have the page bookmarked so I can keep track of the rankings.

Also please leave a comment below if you'd like me to make the class emblems available for people to post in their shipyard threads etc.
    It would be awesome to have the ability to slap one of these bad boys onto my ships, though I get the feeling that the first one will be listed under "Titan" :/

every shipwright tends to class ships differently, the way different manufacturers will class things differently IRL. I go by flower names. others go by names of gods, others go by names based on the irl navy, and still others will go off of other scifi series. it's all relative.
    Personally, I haven't really had much of a chance to class ships yet, but I will use the mixed class system that kupu put in this thread; it's clearcut for new(ish) players like me, it also looks cool and it's well... Just all-round well-developed xD Which is what you want in a class system. But refire is right; ships are classed differently; the Stormlance will be classed as a titan, in all certainty, but yet I will class it based on its primary role, which is that of a heavy war cruiser.

I think a ranking system should be added like this, it's pretty cool. Although it needs to account for other fractions, too, like dominant weapon. If its dominant weapon is a mining laser, then it will have a mining related rank.
    I think that would be a great element to add; cos then you could classify the sub-type of the class. So say... Mining variant heavy war cruiser (like the Stormlance is planned to be).

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    woah it going off in this thread.

It's all about the angle. When I'm filming ships I just fly in a core, and I actually use a PS3 controller rather than keyboard and mouse, it helps make the movement more fluid. But yeah I find i'll redo a shot if my shadow starts to get in it, either tilting a different direction or changing my distance from the ship. Otherwise for things like interiors etc I'll set up my core ready for a movement, then position my actual view using build mode, then back in flight mode thrust a little bit then quickly swap back to build mode to actually get the shot. You could apply that for a shot where you find you keep getting a shadow from yourself.

Please, include the images (icons/avatars) for each class in the first post. There are other people who would like to use them, and, as you might know, cutting them from that image would result in poor quality...
    Sounds good let's do that, you can find them all here...
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v1371iklp1xdjcf/AAAtLkOuWs5znffaOgQU-LaEa?dl=0

Just no claiming you created them yourself otherwise i'll come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It's all about the angle. When I'm filming ships I just fly in a core, and I actually use a PS3 controller rather than keyboard and mouse, it helps make the movement more fluid. But yeah I find i'll redo a shot if my shadow starts to get in it, either tilting a different direction or changing my distance from the ship. Otherwise for things like interiors etc I'll set up my core ready for a movement, then position my actual view using build mode, then back in flight mode thrust a little bit then quickly swap back to build mode to actually get the shot. You could apply that for a shot where you find you keep getting a shadow from yourself.
    thanks for getting back to me, Bench

I actually managed to solve that problem partially since i asked. I developed my own fleet of camera ships that use plex doors to artificially increase the ships dimensions. when opened they can pass through other entities while allowing for extremely smooth pans, not to mention it has a relatively small profile (the smallest at 4x1x1, so small that it can fly through most doorways for interior shots)

its how i was able to get most of the dynamic movements in my trailer. I'm going to release the cameras along with some of my other cinematic tools soon. I'm currently working on a video explaining how to use each camera as well as some general tips on how to film in starmade

do you think you could convince schema to make the /invisibility_mode command apply to ships too? it would really help with filming :)

Reaction score
    lazarus78
    Death Star class sounds appropriate.
    I would feel insulted if only aspire to that. XD (my Goddesship CAN fit inside the Death Star).
    Unnamed25
    The slayer of computers class
    Haha, the Goddesship would certainly be a trouble for those with poor computer... XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    i hope you Bench havent started working on my ship yet becuse i want to change the ship. wel lnot change it's still the same ship but now with a more detailed exterior.

https://www.mediafire.com/?g6s5gf7q5oshk7v

(just don't check the interior. it's not fully done and detailed yet ) ;)
    Bench i just noticed i get an error everytime i try to uppload the ship anywhere. Or even save it. This errer comes up:
    can i fix that someway or? Because i am not rebuilding the ship. It took a month to build it in the first place. No mods where used when i built it. So it is not that.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah that bug should be fixed. If you have the ship in any universe try to re-save the blueprint. That bug mostly happened when saving in local from a multiplayer server. If you still don't succeed then maybe try just exporting the sector then loading it in a new universe and try saving the blueprint from there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Yeah that bug should be fixed. If you have the ship in any universe try to re-save the blueprint. That bug mostly happened when saving in local from a multiplayer server. If you still don't succeed then maybe try just exporting the sector then loading it in a new universe and try saving the blueprint from there.
    thanks Bench it helps alot :D

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Are ship review videos going to continue now that the trailer is released?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Are ship review videos going to continue now that the trailer is released?
    Yep, from the library of ships that were submitted, and any more that continue to be submitted.