StarMade - PvP & PvE balance, Perspective & Direction

Discussion in 'Game News' started by schema, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Az14el

Az14el Definitely not a skywanderers dev

I wish i had of gotten more actual combat footage from .200, though GPU has a nasty habit of black screening shortly after recording in a fight :/

Generally there would be quite an extended amount of kiting, but *very* quick kills or forced jump outs the moment any consistent block dmg is being done between predominately beam armed ships, some sub armed/sub powered ones would last a little longer due to having just lesser % of their ship in RHP blocks to actually hit, but then ran into the problems of not being able to hurt high regen/low dmg chambered shields which made any fight like that a one sided massacre

far as the huge difference between dmg outputs on a lot of ships, i think it's mostly down the power ratios by mass of ships being pretty wildly different (especially since even a low sized reactor can seem to perform fine with some priority tweaks, but really isn't), see anywhere from 5% reactor by mass (may as well be a stirling engine) to 60%+ (hello hindenburg)

2. Edymnion

Edymnion Carebear Extraordinaire!

Basically its a nebulous "out there". There is no reason to stop playing/building really. People stopped playing because of the power update being announced and then got annoyed that it took a year for it to actually come out. If you're having fun now, then by all means, keep having fun. Just because something you build now might need tweaking at some point in the future is no reason not to play now.

And if it takes 6 months or a year? Well, by then you'll be that much more experienced with the game and will probably be eager for the opportunity to build new stuff anyway. :)

3. Az14el

I stopped playing because the quality of gameplay dropped to a point that was no longer enjoyable
      which means at an earlier point i did find it pretty fun in comparison :eek:

You're not speaking for everyone who's "stopped playing", knowing many of those people myself I'd say it's not a majority either.

• Like Like x 1
    4. MeRobo

MeRobo Scrub

Are you sure that you're not only familiar to (or even part of) a small group of people with a considerable amount of alts who also have a financial interest in the success of a competitor relying on a reduction of the Starmade player base?
      I only ask because these days you never know what happens to you, one moment of unawareness and all of the sudden you are financially involved with the development of a game and have only one option left: create a bunch of alts to artificially create the impression of a disgruntled noticeable segment of a player base.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Az14el

no, weird question

edit lmoa i misunderstood since it wasn't the first time, and made a legit rage report
      sorry :D

#105 Az14el, Oct 29, 2018
      Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Edymnion

Edymnion Carebear Extraordinaire!

Um, if that was supposed to be in reference to me, I was specifically referencing this:

From here: https://starmadedock.net/threads/an-urgent-message-to-schine.31063/page-3#post-373508

Of people who say their entire server stopped playing to wait for an update that took nearly 2 years to materialize. Just because something is announced as on it's way doesn't mean it will be here any time soon, so just keep playing if you want to keep playing. Or play something else while you wait. But the whole "I stopped playing for 2 years when I didn't want to" thing is kinda silly.

7. Az14el

so at least one person, and tbf probably quite a lot would have just lost patience yeah
      the typical complaints i hear though is a pretty harsh difference in gameplay quality on survival now compared to even much earlier & less ambitious gamestates. Whether its "its too bloated now" "scope creep" or "its just broken", it's mostly been dissatisfaction with the current gamestate on elements of play that used to be more accessible and fun.

• Like Like x 3
    8. DrTarDIS

DrTarDIS Eldrich Timelord

Yup. In my case: AI is more broken now, so kinda useless to engineer multy-AI ships or drones. Crafting is cumbersome, so not worth the effort to set up an industrial base.
      Addendum to crafting: not enough playerbase in multyplayer to have clients for an industrial base, so not worth the effort.
      Addendum on both crafting and AI: Drone mining is also mostly broken in my experience, making reliable supply to an industrial base more difficult and compunding the issuses in setting up industrial. (permission to unload blocks not being saved to the drone blueprint being one factor here as well, so deep in the UI that its that extra level of annoyance.)

So, I probably fall into both "just broken" and "bloated now" categories. The half dozen guildies I played with back in yog-days left largely for similar reasons: "can't go infinite with a crafting loop anymore means the grind is excessive now", "no reward for controlling territorry means it's not worth time to set up", stuff like that.

Combine the above with the *appearance* of "punishment for not following a mould" rather than "reward for being creative and insightful" we saw during those previous stages of development means I'm AFAIK the last hold-out who even checks in on development. The 3d pixel-art part is about the limit of what keeps my interest at the moment.

My thoughts on some fixes to the above, and balance in general: SysHP was very close to being a useful system. I REALLY wish the engine had allowed me to assign signed values to sysHP while it was implemented. I had a great spreadsheet setup where "decorative" blocks became a source of +SysHP, while systems used -sysHP to balance. SO making a High DPS glass cannon or "tough nut to crack" tank would have a requirement of so many "hull" blocks and thus have a innately balanced volume requirement without relying on dimensional math. -> If you were too "small" for your systems you'd have very little SysHP pool, while if you padded it out lots and had a large pool you'd be a bit under-powered or your size. Still would have allowed players to build how they liked with a "hard floor" and "soft ceiling" rather than a full-on box-in as I understand the current balance.

I'm looking forward to the point where the game becomes a game again, don't get me wrong. I just agree with Schema: they have a very skewed view of balance. It's probably because they don't play their own game (enough).

• Like Like x 1
    9. Porkbellygamer

I tend to agree the stream made for an interesting and challenging aspect of game design. I actually didn't find it that difficult to maneuver the stream with the stream nodes

10. WildRage64

Well, just to be updated with the new updates and ADD more tutorials in terms of, how to use advanced build mode (was promised in the intro but never came to be).

11. WildRage64

Wait....is power 2 already out the window?? DAMNIT gotta refit all the old trident ships again.

12. TheDerpGamerX

TheDerpGamerX Lord of Lawnmowers

wait i thought you were kicked from trident

13. MeRobo

MeRobo Scrub

More like never properly accepted, but quite a few trident ships exist on CC

14. BoomMicGuy

I like the new power discussion and re-work. I'm looking forward to coming back to Star Made once these changes are finalized or at the very least are in a some what stable dev build.

15. Shaker

The complexity of building is what killed the game for me when systems 2.0 came out, it was more fun in an arcade style instead of space engineers number smashing

16. Guytian

are you still working on this game?