Starmade Logic Tutorials

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Has anyone designed a proximity sensor? you know a circuit that sends a signal that activates something as long as something remains in the input trigger area but deactivates the signal as soon as that something has left the input trigger area

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Has anyone designed a proximity sensor? you know a circuit that sends a signal that activates something as long as something remains in the input trigger area but deactivates the signal as soon as that something has left the input trigger area
    Wouldn't that just be the invisible detector block connected to an activation block? As soon as something is there it turns on.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Wouldn't that just be the invisible detector block connected to an activation block? As soon as something is there it turns on.
    yes but the problem is that it stays on until its triggered again.

I need a circuit that turns off automatically as soon as something leaves the trigger area.

Basically what i wana do is make a power supply station that activates power supply beams when a ship is within the trigger area and stays on until the ship has left the trigger area

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    yes but the problem is that it stays on until its triggered again.

I need a circuit that turns off automatically as soon as something leaves the trigger area.

Basically what i wana do is make a power supply station that activates power supply beams when a ship is within the trigger area and stays on until the ship has left the trigger area
    Does the trigger block send a signal again once the object has left it? If so then the easiest thing would be to use a t-flip flop. It basically sends that signal and keeps it on as if it was a lever. Sending the signal again turns it off. There was a forum thread about it. If the trigger only activates once upon entry then I have no idea really.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    It doesn't until you enter it again, so you'll need it to be hollow field with flip flop I think

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It doesn't until you enter it again, so you'll need it to be hollow field with flip flop I think
    wouldn't a T flip flop be a little redundant? I mean this isn't redstone, logic in star made is either in the "on" state or the "off" state.

Besides what do you mean hollow field?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    wouldn't a T flip flop be a little redundant? I mean this isn't redstone, logic in star made is either in the "on" state or the "off" state.

Besides what do you mean hollow field?
    I would just design it so the signal is turned off when you leave. One trigger in the front, one at the end.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    If it was just at both ends then you could just use activation module as t flip flop but still might not be foolproof

Problem is with how area triggers work at the moment

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    So your saying that until we get a Pulse input (think pressure plates in Minecraft) block, what i want is extremely hard to pull off.

Maybe Schema can get on making a trigger area and step on variant that does this. would solve a hellova lot of problems

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    So your saying that until we get a Pulse input (think pressure plates in Minecraft) block, what i want is extremely hard to pull off.

Maybe Schema can get on making a trigger area and step on variant that does this. would solve a hellova lot of problems
    Basically the trigger is already acting as flip flop. Really the trigger should just give out a single pulse, as we can incorporate a flip flop with the other logic blocks. Hopefully logic will overall just be expanded to incorporate these functions in the blocks themselves.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Simple RAM, see

Rear (where the magic happens)
    O1 N1
    O0 N0​
    Front (where you control the magic)
    W1 R1
    W0 R0​

O = or
    N = not
    W+R =and
    W = write
    R = read
    1 = high state
    0 = low state

Connections: (A --slaves-> B)

Write-And -> Or ( behind Write-And )
    Not -> Read-And ( in front of Not )
    high Or -> low Not -> low Or
    low Or -> high Not -> high Or

Why does somebody need anything else?

But if you do need something else, here is a timed Flip-Flop:
    1. Input 0 = enable set
    2. Input 1 = set
    3. and1( Input 0, Input 1 ) -> delay0 -> delay1 ... delayN
    4. and1 AND delay(all of them) -> AND (gives a 1 after some time. Immediately returns to 0, good for an abort time on mechanisms triggered by multiple inputs.)
    5. and1 AND delay(all of them) -> OR (returns to 0 after some time. Immediately gives a 1)

.I > v
    II > A > D > D > D
    .. . v . v . v . v
    .. . > > > X < < <

>v<^ = signal flow
    I = Input 1
    II = Input 2
    . = space holders
    A = AND block
    D = Delay Block
    X = Output = OR (for 4.) or AND (for 5.)

Last edited:

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    @NeonSturm you really need to find a better way at explaining what you're trying to explain. All I see is a wall of text.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think we really need the area sensor block (the invisible block that only shows up when in build mode) to be a proximity-sensor-type of activation that sends an activation signal only as long as someone is touching the area blocks, instead of a one-time on/off switch. I initially used the area blocks in my space station contest entry, expecting them to work that way. Imagine my disappointment when they were strictly a on/off switch. I was a sad puppy.

If you change the area effect to proximity, then I think you can replicate the current on/off functionality with logic (once the circuit is turned on, it can be made to stay active), so you would lose nothing, but gain better area effect logic.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius

So I know virtually nothing about logic so this is only an idea, not even a theory really. But I wonder if (in the future if this isn't currently possible) you would be able to hook up a NOT to the area trigger, then when there isn't anything it will switch an activator to one state, but when there is something it switches it to another state.

It would (in my mind) basically give area trigger's an active, and inactive state. Based on whether or not something is occupying that space.

Like I said I don't know anything about the systems, I'm happy just getting doors to open and close properly at this point, but that seems like something that would logically be possible, if nothing else than at least to implement in the future.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Thanks again for the help with this Bench =) Looking forward to getting a ton of logic in the Lionheart, so needless to say I'll be checking out the rest of your tutorials as well. haha

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Awesome. I have no idea what this actually does, but it looks like it has a shit load of applications.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Basically it allows you to activate something while deactivating any others which might be activated. So if you have several lights you want to activate, but only want one on at a time you can use this system. So rather than activating a light, then deactivating it so you can activate the other one you only have to activate the next light, the previous one will turn off when the next one turns on.