StarMade Development Direction

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Sounds like a job for clock+damage pulse
    more like area triggered clock+damage pulse/any weapon comp. if anything i don't think they would gain xp if they arnt at they're stations so it would be better to have a area sensor to automatically trigger the clock. it won't be hard start the clock, shutting it off will be the problem

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You're going to have to completely redesign your mining ships to give room for that ore to go into as cargo.
    Not quite: you could technically tug it onto the outside, where a next to infinite amount of space is waiting :P

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Given how NPCs and xp will work, i got a feeling that Training Facilities will become a thing. ships/stations/planets whose sole purpose is to automatically and endlessly train up NPCs
    With fleet control in the game the navies of major factions will be meat grinders for brave and foolish NPCs. May their meager lives be the fuel of glorious war and commerce.

Reactions: Blood Born Angel

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    more like area triggered clock+damage pulse/any weapon comp. if anything i don't think they would gain xp if they arnt at they're stations so it would be better to have a area sensor to automatically trigger the clock. it won't be hard start the clock, shutting it off will be the problem
    You guys are overthinking this. Disarm a small enemy ship (drone/shuttle), put it in a shielded box, and let your crew fire at it. I doubt they'll gain XP from a weapon they aren't firing themselves.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    You guys are overthinking this. Disarm a small enemy ship (drone/shuttle), put it in a shielded box, and let your crew fire at it. I doubt they'll gain XP from a weapon they aren't firing themselves.
    Doesn´t work if they have to deal damage to gain XP.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Bench any chance we'll be seeing stuff like food and atmosphere for these crew? We're seriously lacking in the atmosphere department right now. We can breathe vacuum. :p

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Bench any chance we'll be seeing stuff like food and atmosphere for these crew? We're seriously lacking in the atmosphere department right now. We can breathe vacuum. :p
    calculating internal areas especially during battles is quite process intensive, so we'd need to find a simple less performance-heavy way to do it before really saying yes or no on it. Food we could look at adding in during the overhaul of astronauts etc but it just matters if the rest of the community is keen for it or not.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would support food given some degree of automation. If not then no.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I would support food given some degree of automation. If not then no.
    I'd like heavy automated farming machinery designed for stations/planets (but could be put on ships) to allow full automation on stationary objects and limited travel time on the majority of ships.

Speaking of station/planet equipment that's very heavy but still allowed on ships- Factories and Shipyards on ships, devs. Please.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Food we could look at adding in during the overhaul of astronauts etc but it just matters if the rest of the community is keen for it or not.
    There are so many people with so many different tastes that, while I think it should definitely be implemented for both players and NPCs (with some automation of course as Ithirahad said), it must be possible to disable food consumption and/or set food supplies to unlimited for servers and single players whose play styles don't line up with such things. The same goes for fuel and any other survival resource. It might well be a good idea to organize these options into two distinct game modes: "Survival" and "Sandbox" with Sandbox being more about building and goofing off and Survival more about the challenge of living and doing things while building.

Reactions: NeonSturm

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I guess it's finding the balance. For something like Minecraft it feels natural to be monitoring food levels, but with so much we'll be adding in, those smaller things could easily feel like a pain to have to deal with.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Bench: Will it be possible to have players act as crew?
    It's already possible:
    Step 1: Send Youtube video link in chat, the video being a hypnotic pattern.

Step 2: Watch as the player obeys you flawlessly, giving up his life because in this permanent trance he will never stop helping you.

Step 3: Rule over every server with your mental-zombie hypnotized army of slaves.

No, don't really do that. Pls.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I guess it's finding the balance. For something like Minecraft it feels natural to be monitoring food levels, but with so much we'll be adding in, those smaller things could easily feel like a pain to have to deal with.
    would it be possible to have different uses for food depending on who it goes to? like for instance food will only give bonuses to players but not necessary for survival but if given to crew members it keeps their morale up

Reactions: Bench

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Minecraft just has a very fast time scale. You have to eat every few minutes to keep in top shape. I played another MMO sandbox game called Wurm Online which has food and you only have to eat every couple of hours or so of play (assuming your food isn't absolute crap). Something like that would probably be appropriate for Starmade. If you're eating the same stuff as NPC crew, there will probably be tons of it all over the place so I don't foresee a problem with hunger mechanics if you can go 2 hours or so without food.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well this should be interesting. Adding in a huge cargo bay for my miner is as simple as adding a nice open spot on the ship somewhere for it on the outside. XD In any event I saw something about mutinies up there for ships but what about stations? No command chair or ship core to take there so what'd they go after? Faction Block? Build Blocks? Something else?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Well this should be interesting. Adding in a huge cargo bay for my miner is as simple as adding a nice open spot on the ship somewhere for it on the outside. XD In any event I saw something about mutinies up there for ships but what about stations? No command chair or ship core to take there so what'd they go after? Faction Block? Build Blocks? Something else?
    Hadn't thought of that, good point

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well Key targets for the NPCs on a ship would be the Command Chair, the Ship Core, the Faction Block, Computers. The only things on a station I can think of for key targets are the Faction Block and the Build Blocks.