StarMade 0.1839 Bug Fixes & Balance

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I dun get it, broken as in overpowered or broken as in useless? I honestly don't see why it couldn't have remained the same except for cannon-salvage.
    The pulse literally was useless. It only did negative stuff back then (reduced mining speed, increased consumption and no positive effect).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So what you meant to say is that only pulse was broken.
    Generally, all of them were broken. Any downsides that were countered by the upside of higher damage with normal weapons weren't countered with support beams, since they did no damage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Anyone with an orange coloured username and a gold SM logo badge is a member of the Schine team. (We all have the same style avatars as well)

You can find an updated list of all current members and their descriptions on the wiki: http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/Schine_GmbH
    I knew that, I just wasn't aware he was made a part of the Schine team. I thought he was simply some guy that was going to do the trailer for you guys, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out he was more than that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Dear schema could you please take a look into some of the beams values again. For example the powersupply is at 1/10 of the strength it was with 01807 resulting in you would need more mass in powersupply modules than reactors needed to produce the energy. Seems really wrong on that end. Thank you.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I'd like to apologize for the wall of text, I've been on vacation so haven't been able to reply as messages have come in.
    I should have started my EVE ship much earlier. Would have been nice to get them into one of the trailers. :p
    There will be other trailers. ;) And I'd LOVE to show some using ships from various shows/movies/games.

I'm so glad that he found some friends because he looked so sad sitting in that ship by himself. I already bought the game but I'm excited for you guys anyway. I bet StarMade will do awesome on Steam. Also to whoever made those ships in the video (sorry I don't know who you are) they look fantastic.
    haha, I'm glad that was conveyed through the video. =) Also the main ship was created by Dalmont and the fleet was a number of others from the MushroomFleet server.

What a graceful trailer. Well done to the folks who put it together.

*Scurries back into the block config files*
    Thanks MrFURB =) I had a lot of help in a short amount of time. Bench did the amazing work with the Schine and StarMade logo animations.

oh snap I hope that the new trailer will not be only dalmont/mushroomfleet ships

edit: ah ok so it was Zanaten who made it not bench then that explains a lot.
    I know what you're saying, and future videos/trailers on the main channel will indeed feature other builders/servers, however this video came together in a very short time so I was limited on resources. MushroomFleet is the main server I play on, however it is not a representation of the entirety of the StarMade community, so others will definitely be represented. =)

Thanks for the kind words everybody, and be sure to thank Bench for his great work, as he took over when I left for vacation! Also schema keep up the great work, you're doing amazing buddy. =)

Reaction score
    When Starmade comes to steam does that mean I'll have to have steam on my computer to play or will the standalone launcher still work? I don't want to put Steam on my linux box, steam and Fedora don't work well together.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Generally, all of them were broken. Any downsides that were countered by the upside of higher damage with normal weapons weren't countered with support beams, since they did no damage.
    ^this. I did say this a couple of posts back, but I can't help but agreeing to any post that states that someone realised this too.

And it wasn't just salvage. Any non-damage beam was broken. That reminds me, I need to check if the combinations for the other beams have changed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    When Starmade comes to steam does that mean I'll have to have steam on my computer to play or will the standalone launcher still work? I don't want to put Steam on my linux box, steam and Fedora don't work well together.
    Starmade will still work standalone, people will just have the option to purchase on Steam, and get a Steam code for the game if they already purchased it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The trailer was amazing and all but... did.. they.. just.. render Dave through the glass?!?!?! Do Character models render through glass again just like before? :eek:
    If you disable shadows the character models will render through glass. That doesn't seem to fix any of the other transparency related issues though.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    *braces for steam cloud impact*

"THE COOLING UNITS CAN'T KEEP UP SIR!!!!"

Reaction score
    Basically before it was a 2x buff on damage a 2xbuff on radius, a nerf on reload and power consumption.

Now it is a 5x buff on radius, no more buff on damage, and a little more reload. the rest stayed the same.
    This missile isn't meant to do damage against shields. Because of it's immense radius it's potential block destruction is much higher than a missile with a damage buff but smaller radius. You have to put in more blocks to get to the full potential of that weapon, but such a weapon is only something you would want to put on a bomber. It's not good against shields but very good against slow targets with their shields taken out.
    ok the resion why was because I had a 10 million damage per shot missile with 90sec relode (50 radius with max explosive effect) with damage pulse befor update but after it was only 1 million per shot with a 2 min relode (89 radius using max explosive effect). No matter what ratio of blocks i do with damage pulse i cant get it back to the 10 million damage i had befor. also my power used per shot stayed at 100 million so i cant even get a 10 million by puting more blocks because i would need 1 billion power to fire. I know there is more radius but it still seems that the dps of the full system is much lower then befor. I know you are bissy and you get alot of complants too but when looking at the strat up dps numbers they dont seem to add up to the same as other weapons of same block size. and the energy per shot dost not seem to be right eather. Im realy sorry im buging you.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    ok the resion why was because I had a 10 million damage per shot missile with 90sec relode (50 radius with max explosive effect) with damage pulse befor update but after it was only 1 million per shot with a 2 min relode (89 radius using max explosive effect). No matter what ratio of blocks i do with damage pulse i cant get it back to the 10 million damage i had befor. also my power used per shot stayed at 100 million so i cant even get a 10 million by puting more blocks because i would need 1 billion power to fire. I know there is more radius but it still seems that the dps of the full system is much lower then befor. I know you are bissy and you get alot of complants too but when looking at the strat up dps numbers they dont seem to add up to the same as other weapons of same block size. and the energy per shot dost not seem to be right eather. Im realy sorry im buging you.
    That is intentional, the damage of the missile-pulse combo was nerfed. However, the size of the NEW default missile radius gets boosted by 5 with a 100% pulse slave. This new balance is meant to make it kind at block removal. However, it is intentionally terrible at taking out shields, which it was already too good at to start with.

Reaction score
    That is intentional, the damage of the missile-pulse combo was nerfed. However, the size of the NEW default missile radius gets boosted by 5 with a 100% pulse slave. This new balance is meant to make it kind at block removal. However, it is intentionally terrible at taking out shields, which it was already too good at to start with.
    ok but they why is the power requirments still at such a high level compaird to other systems. i use 100million for 1 million damage in 2 min. thats with a system that use to be a 1:2:1 ration srunk to 1:1:1 ration (without adding blocks to missile or explosive effect) after update. so im using the same power with less blocks and less direct damage over a longer time period. I think even with the incress to radius the damage pulse lost alot of dps. also it is still a slow missile so if it dose not do much damage then why use it when u can use many tubes of damage beam to get the same effect of radius with less blocks and power. If it is going to be slow enof to be usless agents anti missile deffence then it should at lest get a better damage multplyer then damage beam support so if it dose hit it would hurt. yes its good agents shields but only if it can hit said ship first. Also this missile was never intended to be for ship when i instaled it but to one shot planits so I could mine them better without haveing to worry about gravity. (and my salvage beams use over 4mill so using a support to ingnor gravity is not an option.)

Last edited:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    ok but they why is the power requirments still at such a high level compaird to other systems. i use 100million for 1 million damage in 2 min. thats with a system that use to be a 1:2:1 ration srunk to 1:1:1 ration (without adding blocks to missile or explosive effect) after update. so im using the same power with less blocks and less direct damage over a longer time period. I think even with the incress to radius the damage pulse lost alot of dps. also it is still a slow missile so if it dose not do much damage then why use it when u can use many tubes of damage beam to get the same effect of radius with less blocks and power. If it is going to be slow enof to be usless agents anti missile deffence then it should at lest get a better damage multplyer then damage beam support so if it dose hit it would hurt. yes its good agents shields but only if it can hit said ship first.
    Because of reload rates...?

Slower reload = higher damage per shot = higher power usage per shot

Reaction score
    Because of reload rates...?

Slower reload = higher damage per shot = higher power usage per shot
    thats the thing. with the new system
    Slower reload = lower damage per shot(when compaired to damage beams) = greater 5x radius = 100x power use per damage point
    for a dooms day weapon that can be out ran by any ship haveing less damage is not a good thing. maby have the shot be slower would have been a better option then redusing the damage abiulity. Another option is to make the missile have a larger hit area for anti missiles deffences to hit so they are easer to shoot down. Another idea that came to mind is that if a damage pulse missile is shot down it explodes where it is at so if shot right after you fire it will damage your ship and maby kill it if you dont have the shields to surrvive. The explosion from a damage pulse could also kill other missiles making them explode so those missile vollys would be a bit more risky to do if the other player has anti missile systems up still.
    if i only get 1 million damage per shot i should only use 10million energy per shot like all other weapons. but atm it is 100million per 1million damage. Most other weapons inculding the other missiles(and damage pulse supports befor update) have a 1 direct damage to 10 power used per shot. even with the incress radius if u use a bunch of individule damage beams support missiles u get the same radius with less power use per shot.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    ok so is there any other option for balancing damage pulse support on missiles without taking away all the damage it use to have? If it use to be to strong agants shields (wich i wonder why the other ship didnt just out run it) then maby an option to fix that would be to make shield compasity stronger. This would do about the same effect of decressing the damage and also most players will like geting more shields. Battals will also be longer. Im not saying to incress the shield recharge but only the compasity. An incress of about 10 times what we have now would probley make most battals last longer then a secand which is the standerd time now. If that was done they damage pulse support on missiles can become the High damage and High radius Nuke it should be. A bonis to incressing the shield compasity is no one has to redue there ship. As a side not I also thought that maby to alow small ships to at least make a diffrince agents shields the shield recharge should mabe not effect damage at all for a fue second after being shot then it graluly incresses to full.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Really nice!
    Was the "warping in" materializing ship fleet effect added in production or something to look forward to? :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Really nice!
    Was the "warping in" materializing ship fleet effect added in production or something to look forward to? :)
    Jump drives. We've had them for quite a while.