StarMade 0.1836 New Tutorial and loads of fixes

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    sigh... Im an engineer for my faction. I spend alot of time on my designs and i try to base my ships more on looks then systems. The game is slowly trying to kill its fanbase. The weapons update was mostly positive but then it went downhill. shield rechargers. basically a buck you rebuild all your ships. effect power was changed. another buck you rebuild. i got over my anger and kept playing. Starting to build ships with less design because i was worried of another major change. Started working on more complex designs feeling confident i'm not wasting my time. And now another "fix" which is just unnecessary and requires ships getting bigger. (yeah does the same dps blah blah) It's just getting frustrating..... I love starmade. I really do. but with all these complete buck you redesigns... Just keep in mind schema. the more you redesign systems the more talented players move on to games that don't screw you over... (sorry about grammar i'm from ireland and its currently 00:31 at the time of me typing this)[DOUBLEPOST=1416616600,1416616330][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, you may notice it says new member next to my name due to how little i post on the forums.
    I have never been so pissed before that i actually voice my complaints.
    Another one who doesn't understand what 'alpha' means.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh yes, @OdraNoel , I previously said that you needed to have the energy value for salvage at 10x what you want it to be, but I should have said 5x. The difference isn't that big (if you took 10000 as the value each areay would use 2000 e/s instead of 1000 e/s, so double what you orignally wanted).

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    Another one who has only joined starmade recently and has not seen the route this game is taking since Early 2013

There is a fine line between tinkering with small settings and completely nerfing systems which waste players time ACROSS the board.
    There was not a very big complaint on suggestions forums/rants I search and yet there was one ass hat who submitted a bug about the slave system and ruins the fun because said ass hat refuses to build a larger ship to combat the well established players who put time into the game.

Reactions: 111shaneb111
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Excuse me, I know very well, but what you need to understand is completely changing how systems work without even warning anyone is to much. This is more private info but 3 large factions we are actively talking to are not going to update their ships anymore. The AA is more than likely going to pull out of starmade until starmade is officially released.
    Edit: (spelling)

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Another one who has only joined starmade recently and has not seen the route this game is taking since Early 2013

There is a fine line between tinkering with small settings and completely nerfing systems which waste players time ACROSS the board.
    There was not a very big complaint on suggestions forums/rants I search and yet there was one ass hat who submitted a bug about the slave system and ruins the fun because said ass hat refuses to build a larger ship to combat the well established players who put time into the game.
    I'm sorry, what bug are you referring to? The one that let you do more damage than was allowed by the set rules of every block combo doing the same *pure* (not accounting for bonuses against certain blocks or things with effects) DPS? Because if so, you're a moron. You can't seriously expect bugs to stay in the game.

Again, you don't need to use a single more block than you have been. Instead of 60:60:60, do 45:90:45. Same amount of blocks, same DPS (discounting the bug giving you extra DPS), same amount of internal ship space taken up.

As a player since April 2013, I have seen nothing but improvements to this game. There are occasional mistakes and stat balancing errors (come on guys, fix the salvager power usage already!), but fixing what was known to be a bug by a large number of players is not a mistake.

Reaction score
    Excuse me, I know very well, but what you need to understand is completely changing how systems work without even warning anyone is to much. This is more private info but 3 large factions we are actively talking to are not going to update their ships anymore. The AA is more than likely going to pull out of starmade until starmade is officially released.
    Edit: (spelling)
    Have you ever had to refit the weapons and turrets on a ship that's over a million mass? No? Because that's what I have ahead of me right now.

Reaction score
    Oh yes, @OdraNoel , I previously said that you needed to have the energy value for salvage at 10x what you want it to be, but I should have said 5x. The difference isn't that big (if you took 10000 as the value each areay would use 2000 e/s instead of 1000 e/s, so double what you orignally wanted).
    thanks funny, i think for now tho im just guna stick to my op cannon salv array and just concentrate on building my mega station :) (screen shoot thread hopefully coming soon!)

i dont really wanna start fooling around with configs and the like especially if we know a fix is coming sooner or later, ill just suck it up for now. but again thank you, your information is always most valuable and appreciated :)

Reaction score
    I'm sorry, what bug are you referring to? The one that let you do more damage than was allowed by the set rules of every block combo doing the same *pure* (not accounting for bonuses against certain blocks or things with effects) DPS? Because if so, you're a moron. You can't seriously expect bugs to stay in the game.

Again, you don't need to use a single more block than you have been. Instead of 60:60:60, do 45:90:45. Same amount of blocks, same DPS (discounting the bug giving you extra DPS), same amount of internal ship space taken up.

As a player since April 2013, I have seen nothing but improvements to this game. There are occasional mistakes and stat balancing errors (come on guys, fix the salvager power usage already!), but fixing what was known to be a bug by a large number of players is not a mistake.
    The only moron here is the one who condones fixing a system that SURPRISE!!! WASNT BROKEN. You've got some pretty large factions that had it set up. More than likely people more insistent on a update because they cannot handle a more established fleet much like yourself has whined as much as they can and have killed the will to even deal with anymore refits or made-up balance issues. As such a large part of major communities will more than likely be leaving because instead of asking the players what they want....instead of really LISTENING to the community they continue to do as they wish and wonder why they do not have more funding. As an business man myself, you do not make money by updating your product to your standard you make it to suite the standards of the consumers.

I have yet to find a thread complaining about the unfairness of these weapons systems and even if there is one, its a rather small portion of the community which should just take a back seat to the masses. Majority is who you service not minority, if products were to be changed around minorities the companies would go BANKRUPT!

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Have you ever had to refit the weapons and turrets on a ship that's over a million mass? No? Because that's what I have ahead of me right now.
    No, because I wait with that until big changes are way less likely than they are now.

Reaction score
    Well, luckily for me, I have the ability to plan ahead.

The tiny gap between these nacelles is, oh, about 9 x 39 x 319 meters, comprising a spare volume of roughly 112,000 blocks to a side. I'll be filling it in, now.

Reactions: aceface

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, luckily for me, I have the ability to plan ahead.

The tiny gap between these nacelles is, oh, about 9 x 39 x 319 meters, comprising a spare volume of roughly 112,000 blocks to a side. I'll be filling it in, now.
    Nice job being lucky (My cruiser also has a large empty space in it; I MIGHT fill that with stuff) but that shouldn't be necessary

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The only moron here is the one who condones fixing a system that SURPRISE!!! WASNT BROKEN. You've got some pretty large factions that had it set up. More than likely people more insistent on a update because they cannot handle a more established fleet much like yourself has whined as much as they can and have killed the will to even deal with anymore refits or made-up balance issues. As such a large part of major communities will more than likely be leaving because instead of asking the players what they want....instead of really LISTENING to the community they continue to do as they wish and wonder why they do not have more funding. As an business man myself, you do not make money by updating your product to your standard you make it to suite the standards of the consumers.

I have yet to find a thread complaining about the unfairness of these weapons systems and even if there is one, its a rather small portion of the community which should just take a back seat to the masses. Majority is who you service not minority, if products were to be changed around minorities the companies would go BANKRUPT!
    How the hell is getting more DPS with a 2:2:2 weapon than a 6:0:0 weapon NOT BROKEN? You have no idea what you're talking about.

It's an alpha game. Expect refits. I just went and refit most of my ships. Design your ships with the knowledge that you'll probably have to re-arrange the guts at some point.

Reaction score
    So, ignoring DPS concerns, how does this impact stop/push/pull beams? I had to rework all my beams to include twice as many pull beams so I didn't cut a hole in the thing I was trying to pull...

Edit: Sorry, not pull beams.. cannons on the beams...

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So, ignoring DPS concerns, how does this impact stop/push/pull beams? I had to rework all my beams to include twice as many pull beams so I didn't cut a hole in the thing I was trying to pull...

Edit: Sorry, not pull beams.. cannons on the beams...
    You need the same amount of blocks total. Let's say your system currently has a 60:60:60 setup. Slave now needs to equal the combined master and effect, so a 45:90:45 would give you the same power as you currently have.

M + E = S

This also applies to set-ups without effects. Since E = 0, M = S, making non-effect using weapon systems completely the same as they were before.

Reaction score
    You need the same amount of blocks total. Let's say your system currently has a 60:60:60 setup. Slave now needs to equal the combined master and effect, so a 45:90:45 would give you the same power as you currently have.

M + E = S

This also applies to set-ups without effects. Since E = 0, M = S, making non-effect using weapon systems completely the same as they were before.
    The only reason I'm using it is for the pull effect... so... I don't care about DPS. In fact, DPS is the last thing I want.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The only reason I'm using it is for the pull effect... so... I don't care about DPS. In fact, DPS is the last thing I want.
    DPS is still important, since pull converts damage into momentum.

Just replace everything I've said about DPS and replace it with Momentum p/ Second and you'll get the same effect.

Reaction score
    So going off of what I've learned reading through all of this since I last posted my system of 600:600:600 needs to be 450:900:450 now which requires pulling out the entire set of blocks and redoing it all. and that's the smallest system there are absolutely massive ones compared to it with thousands of blocks, Ugh and I just finished putting all the weapon systems throughout the ship after a week of work. Frankly I can't be bothered, I'm just going to rip out all the weapons systems and leave the empty space. Boost the shields and thrusters and cover the ship in stop turrets. I'll leave combat alone until we get to a point in development where I won't have to keep refitting every ship we have every few updates. Getting kind of tired of wasting the time on finishing systems to watch them break when updated the next day.

It's just easier to zip through hostile space without taking a hit and stopping people in their tracks while I fly past. I'll re-arm them when the weapons are mostly sorted out for good after release.

Reaction score

you know what you're talking about? This system was playing so bad, hundreds of hours of play and never have I experienced such a bad weapon balance system. ago was wrong, and now it works well, I accept all right, but you can raise your weapon damage blocks 2x 3x

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Seriously, this. Not to be annoying as in 'oh my god, the update ruined my stuff'. Obviously the game is still alpha, still. But its seems lately that with every new update I either have to double the size of my ship to make it as efficient as before or live with my ship only be half as efficient as before. Things I have noticed is that missiles require more power to shoot now, most effects appear to be 'nerfed' compared to previous versions, and now I need double the amount of slave blocks to get 100%.
    You're not making it as efficient. You're making it more efficient. Efficiency is a relative parameter, and updates affect all designs equally. I don't see how it might be hard to grasp.That's made me laugh really hard.

Missiles taking more power now is because they were powerful AoE damage weapons with little prerequisites, having no alternative in how easy they are to use and how much damage they do. Effect blocks just require reasonable resources and space put into them to pay off the effect they give. You don't need bouble slave blocks, you just need to translate master blocks into slaves so that master+effect = slave. With available tools it would take minutes of common expertice.
    So going off of what I've learned reading through all of this since I last posted my system of 600:600:600 needs to be 450:900:450 now which requires pulling out the entire set of blocks and redoing it all.
    It takes using filter to remove some master blocks and place them as slave blocks. What is so difficult here I don't see.
    and that's the smallest system there are absolutely massive ones compared to it with thousands of blocks,
    What difference does it makes when you can load your ship in single-player and set max brush size to almost anything you feel more handy and use it to replace blocks?