StarMade 0.174 Crafting Update

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    you obviously don't know what the definition of fun is. Let me explain it to you.
    • Fun: using crafting system to build a titan.
    I would call that tedious at the rate blocks can be made.

• Not fun: exploiting the game to get a titan as fast as possible.
    How is buying from a shop exploiting the game? As I said, the only way crafting is viable is if there are no shops, which there are by default.

HTML:
    <SalvageDamageNeededPerBlock>0</SalvageDamageNeededPerBlock>
    <!-- 0 will salvage on tick, otherwise the damage has to be met on the object to salvage one block -->
    <SalvageDamagePerHit>100</SalvageDamagePerHit>
    <!-- salvage damage done per tick to fill up SalvageDamageNeededPerBlock -->
    From my understanding, this will make salvaging even slower?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would call that tedious at the rate blocks can be made.
    I guess that depends on how you like to play the game. I personally love the crafting system, but that doesn't mean that you necessarily have to.
    How is buying from a shop exploiting the game? As I said, the only way crafting is viable is if there are no shops, which there are by default.
    It is common knowledge that the economy in starmade is broken. There is one thing, however, that might change that. Recipe based prices (the dynamic prices) should make things more balanced. It is currently not finished though, but it will be in the future.
    From my understanding, this will make salvaging even slower?
    No, it will just change the way that salvaging works. It will allow for better slave combinations and it might also make salvaging slower or faster depending on the hp of the block that gets salvaged (not sure about that though).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The credit value of the block is not the issue. It's the time element.

It's 20 times faster to shop than salvage (not even including the time needed to process the raw materials into parts). So, if you have 3 to 4 hrs a day that you can play, would you spend that limited time salvaging asteroids or shopping to obtain your required parts you need to make even a small ship (at the ~250 blocks per hour rate of salvaging and then crafting vs ~4000 per hour shopping). Either way, you're not going to build a titan sized ship in a short period, but I know which way my limited time will be spent. A higher yield for your salvaging efforts (more raw materials and shards per asteroid) is the only way I can think to make it viable time-wise and not ruin the actual crafting systems that is there, and now works.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The credit value of the block is not the issue. It's the time element.

It's 20 times faster to shop than salvage (not even including the time needed to process the raw materials into parts). So, if you have 3 to 4 hrs a day that you can play, would you spend that limited time salvaging asteroids or shopping to obtain your required parts you need to make even a small ship (at the ~250 blocks per hour rate of salvaging and then crafting vs ~4000 per hour shopping). Either way, you're not going to build a titan sized ship in a short period, but I know which way my limited time will be spent. A higher yield for your salvaging efforts (more raw materials and shards per asteroid) is the only way I can think to make it viable time-wise and not ruin the actual crafting systems that is there, and now works.
    Like I said, you have to like the long way round in the current version. I'm sure that they'll change the economy in the future.

Reaction score
    Like I said, you have to like the long way round in the current version. I'm sure that they'll change the economy in the future.
    Fact of the matter is most people will almost always take the short route over the long as few have the willpower to force themselves to use an inferior method over a readily available easier method when nothing is stopping them from doing so - hence the doom cube problem people used to (still might?) talk about all the time.

A better thing to do rather than say somebody "doesn't understand what fun is" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) is post in the suggestions about a way to fix the problem OR (if the solution has been announced by the Dev team) inform the misinformed person of the upcoming feature that completes the whole picture.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    A better thing to do rather than say somebody "doesn't understand what fun is" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) is post in the suggestions about a way to fix the problem OR (if the solution has been announced by the Dev team) inform the misinformed person of the upcoming feature that completes the whole picture.
    Me saying that he didn't understood what fun was (that is a kind of expression btw) was merely a joke. And I did try saying what was going to change, but apparently it didn't help.

But again, what is going to change:
    • Salvage is going to be reworked.
    • Recipe based prices are going to be implemented (the dynamic prices option).
    But like I said, there are people who like the crafting system and there are people who like building. It really depends on what you want.

Reaction score
    Me saying that he didn't understood what fun was (that is a kind of expression btw) was merely a joke. And I did try saying what was going to change, but apparently it didn't help.
    Never once have I heard that expression though that's more of my problem I suppose than yours.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I never said that I didn't like or use the crafting system. I have a very large factory setup in my station. I've almost soley used it for the last 14 months. Right up until it was broken (1/2 the blocks you couldn't make), and the effort required was excessive compared to the valuable time I have to get in and play.

I did offer a very simple solution to the difference in the time effort. More resource reward for your salvaging effort (asteroids give up more raw ore and shards), which would yield higher amounts of parts at the end of your salvage and crafting effort. The only other way to equal the time effort difference is for the trading guild to keep the shops with less stock, and to actually take items away to another shop instead of always increase the stock amounts.

Messing with the prices in shops has little to do with it. Unless you are a career StarMade player (10hr+ per day), time is more valuable than credits.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If you lower the shop spawn rate, you'll find that crafting is much more viable. I think the current issue is just that worlds are over saturated with shops (as well as salvaging being slow and prices not being balanced) meaning you can just go around and empty out shops instead of making things.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you lower the shop spawn rate, you'll find that crafting is much more viable.
    This is not something you can do to an existing universe. I have tried it on my home test server and it had undesirable effects like making stations and home bases disappear (still says they're there in the database or with a /search, but not physically there).

I will be lowering the shop spawn rate at the next server reset of MikeLand however (after all the big universe changes and new stations come in).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Multi-slot: all hail the schema

And as for whether everything should get multi-slots: my opnion is that controllers should get multi-slotted with their type of blocks (so weapons and computers of the same type are matched) and also the logic blocks get multi-slotted.

Also, could multi-slotting be used to organize weapons in flight mode?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    How do you make ore and shard capsules with this new crafting system? The refinery turns them straight into mesh or circuits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    How do you make ore and shard capsules with this new crafting system? The refinery turns them straight into mesh or circuits.
    Only the personal refinery does that. The capsule refinery (the block that you need to place) turns them into mesh/circuits and capsules.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Only the personal refinery does that. The capsule refinery (the block that you need to place) turns them into mesh/circuits and capsules.
    Seriously? Well that's very silly.

***EDIT: Just tried the personal one, and it will only make mesh and circuits too.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seriously? Well that's very silly.

***EDIT: Just tried the personal one, and it will only make mesh and circuits too.
    No, I said only the personal refinery doesn't get you capsules. The capsule refinery, the block, does turn raw shards/ore into capsules. 1 raw resource in the refinery gets you 10 alloyed metal mesh/crystal circuits and 5 capsules of the respective resource type.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No, I said only the personal refinery doesn't get you capsules. The capsule refinery, the block, does turn raw shards/ore into capsules. 1 raw resource in the refinery gets you 10 alloyed metal mesh/crystal circuits and 5 capsules of the respective resource type.
    Sorry, misread. I'd never used the personal refinery, or any of other ones in inventory before. I just seen mesh and circuits appearing in the refinery (factory block), but didn't notice the capsules going up too (millions in there).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry, misread. I'd never used the personal refinery, or any other other ones in inventory before. I just seen mesh and circuits appearing in the refinery (factory block), but didn't notice the capsules going up too (millions in there).
    Haha! How many ores and crystals did you salvage? Wait, don't answer. I don't want to know how many poor, poor planets you harmed collecting those resources.mpeople should really respect them more...

Joke :)