StarMade 0.17 Warp Gates, Jump Drives, and a lot more

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So why does jump drive have the aesthetic appearance of warp drive? That makes no sense to me.
    It's not worth having some warp tunnel effect when it only and always lasts for a split-second.
    How would you suggest the aesthetic be? I can kind of see your logic on the matter, but I can't think of any other way to do it off the top of my head.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Warp drive is the same as hyperdrive. Jump drive is a less powerful version of hyperdrive. Therefor the jump drive effect might as well look like a warp drive effect, since they are basically the same thing anyway.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Warp drive is the same as hyperdrive. Jump drive is a less powerful version of hyperdrive. Therefor the jump drive effect might as well look like a warp drive effect, since they are basically the same thing anyway.
    No, the jump drive works by instantly "jumping" to a location, while the hyperdrive works by making you go extremely, extremely fast, but doesn't actually load the sectors as you fly by. Mushroom fleet has a video of a conversation with @Calbiri explaining how it works.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    well, DUH. Nothing that I've already didn't know. You see; i CAN link the gates. The problem is - you can't go in both directions. For example: from point A to B ONLY.
    So; I can connect A to B, but not A to B AND B to A.
    So; in the end you are left with 1-way gate connection.
    If you connect A to B it interconnects them both, you get a both-way gate. If it doesn't work I suggest a fresh install...

Reaction score
    It would be cool if you could link warp gates between different "galaxies", sort of how minecraft servers have portals that send people to mining worlds, so theres no worry of resources being exhausted from the main world.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No. You need multiple warpgates foe that.
    He meant different universes. In Minecraft, there's a plugin, called Multiverse or something, that allows for multiple "dimensions" for different uses. Kind of like sub-servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't think we need multiple dimensions in starmade. The universe is already so big.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think we need multiple dimensions in starmade. The universe is already so big.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that coming to a planet and finding that it's been mined out isn't annoying. His idea is actually pretty good - Have one universe for mining, and one for building, fighting, and whatevertheheckelse.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Doesn't that go against the principle of starmade, that everyone can do what he/she wants in the same universe as other people? This might make a nice mod one day, but I don't think that the default starmade should have it.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    No, the jump drive works by instantly "jumping" to a location, while the hyperdrive works by making you go extremely, extremely fast, but doesn't actually load the sectors as you fly by. Mushroom fleet has a video of a conversation with @Calbiri explaining how it works.
    Wait, so, what I wish for is coming? I haven't seen anything before that post yet, so... is this super-amazing drive going to come?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Didn't really read much of it, but from what I gathered...

You can't move normally at all with a hyperdrive? That's a little silly. I think we should just have a jump drive and warp gate that simply launches us super-fast without loading the sectors. That's jes' meh though.
    That immobility actually has to do with capital ship systems. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The devs know that we don't want immobile ships. Most do, however, agree that a lower speed would actually be a fun game mechanic to play around with.