StarMade 0.154 (fixes and features)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah engines now have a mostly linear scale, the seem to scale like power tanks now and shape doesn't matter.

I've also noticed the cannon speed is now 200, half the 400 it was originally when people claimed it was too slow and it was bumped up to 800. I was fine with 400 myself but 200?

I'm also not keen on the 10E per 1 point of damage. My measly 300 DPS fighter takes 3000E/s just to fire. It has over 4000E/s though but I cannot maintain fire for more than a couple seconds while sitting still so there is some calculation error somewhere.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just started testing this game out and it seems pretty legit. Too bad you cant land on planets and walk around and inhabit them tho or have I not found the right one yet/
    Place a docking module on the planet and use the docking beam on it to dock the ship to the planet. Place a build block on the planet to build things easier on planets :D

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hmmm I think I am now having trouble with "- added better handling for client cache, so that servers can better determine if a chunk has to be re-delivered" from the last release, I started my server and one of my ships refused to load. Started it again later and a different ship will not load. It was just a core with some guns slapped on for testing so no huge performance hog or anything.

Reaction score
    My harvester is no more able to salvage even one block. Grid on salvaging block is flashing, but nothing else happens.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Alright then, time to kick the fleet into overdrive.
    Mini Nuke?
    Such boom. Much OP. So nuke. :p
    Yeah engines now have a mostly linear scale, the seem to scale like power tanks now and shape doesn't matter.

I've also noticed the cannon speed is now 200, half the 400 it was originally when people claimed it was too slow and it was bumped up to 800. I was fine with 400 myself but 200?

I'm also not keen on the 10E per 1 point of damage. My measly 300 DPS fighter takes 3000E/s just to fire. It has over 4000E/s though but I cannot maintain fire for more than a couple seconds while sitting still so there is some calculation error somewhere.
    Cannon speed is HALF of what it was now? Why the heck...

And 10e/dmg is an awful formula, since 1 damage is really a useless amount. 1000 energy for just 100 damage...
    Er, no.

On the more positive side, this seems like interesting stuff... I'll have to try it out.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Is it just me, or does this seem like it needs a rebalance? Or perhaps the damage isn't that great, just a massive area?
    Damage is good, it requires a TON of power to even fire that thing. The normal formula is 10E:1D and the overcharge formula should be 60E:3D or 20E:1D. I think the stock hulk missile does 900 damage and 9000E, so the overcharged hulk would be 2700D for 54000E. Honestly with the stock hulk missile doing that much damage you are probably better off with an explosive effect to increase the blast radius... (more testing required)

And 10e/dmg is an awful formula, since 1 damage is really a useless amount. 1000 energy for just 100 damage...
    Er, no.
    I have not tested anything other than cannons but at least cannon master with a cannon slave consumes 2x energy. That's why my fighter cannot maintain it's guns. Even that being said, I really would like to see the power consumption lowered. 10E:1D means all ships have a 100,000 DPS softcap. My destroyer has 14 million shields on it right now so that means just about every ship out there will take two and a third minutes to punch the shields down (baring use of ION). My destroyer isn't that big and features a full interior, I can't imagine how long fights between two "titans" would take, oh and once you factor in all other power useage you will never get ideal DPS.

I think I'm going to put overdrive on my swarm missiles... those fighters won't know what hit them.

But in all seriousness that looks like a bug.
    Everything is working as intended, of course the intent might be misguided once in practice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Is it just me, or does this seem like it needs a rebalance? Or perhaps the damage isn't that great, just a massive area?
    It might be fine. I don't know if you noticed, but with missiles right now, they do so much damage spread among their radius that blocks were just getting annihilated instead of getting partial damage like in the pic.

I think missiles in general need a rebalance to do less damage among their full radius, but the overdrive thing seems fine so far. It's just what we need to allow more miniaturization in fighters. I didn't really notice it at first, but this can be a game changer and for general purpose ships, Overdrive may become a very popular combo.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Is this change on the thrusters/engines intended to be, or is it a bug ?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But in all seriousness that looks like a bug.[/QUOTE]
    I think missiles in general need a rebalance to do less damage among their full radius, but the overdrive thing seems fine so far. It's just what we need to allow more miniaturization in fighters. I didn't really notice it at first, but this can be a game changer and for general purpose ships, Overdrive may become a very popular combo.
    Overdrive hulk missile is not even possible on a "small" fighter, now maybe on what some people try to pass off as "fighters" but you'll need power tanks to fire that badboy off.

I hope not. I thought the way it was before was a very clever system.
    Yeah I miss smart design engines, now it's just a spam system.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yeah, I hope and pray as well this is a bug. Starmade need this "gaming mechanic" for differing between good and average players among it.
    Schema plz don't break my heart.
    D'':

At least the overdrive is nice, now I can build good turrets without the need to them being giant.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yeah, I hope and pray as well this is a bug. Starmade need this "gaming mechanic" for differing between good and average players among it.
    Schema plz don't break my heart.
    D'':

At least the overdrive is nice, now I can build good turrets without the need to them being giant.
    I disliked the change at first and thought it was OP, but realized it wasn't. You still had to power those massive trust engines and if you didn't build them with redundancy a single round could cripple your high efficiency engines. Especially now with peirce and punch, imagine you have your ship and it has a single large high efficiency engine giving you a perfect T:M ratio. You're in a fight and your shields go down and the next punch shot cuts your engine in half. You are not screwed.

I will probably use other effects on most of my turrets but a few of the smaller ones may get overdrive. Overdrive is also much more useful on turrets than small ships as turrets can draw from the mothership to offset the power cost

Reaction score
    I MUCH prefer this new way engines work. Compromising ship designs for efficient power setups is all the complication we need. Having power storage and engines act the same way gives you a lot less to worry about. All you need is a clear path so you can link the block groups together.

Weapons/shields however seems totally screwed. My little fighters can't damage each other because they have so much shielding, even after tearing them down to the bones and doubling their power to support their measly weapons. It's an issue for big ships as well since we're basically capped at 1.2m power. You can brute force past that if you have a giant cube or something but with that kind of space your shields also go up so you're no better off. Most every ship I encounter now can't damage me unless there's an epic size discrepancy.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    - added new config value to select the type of block scaling for block groups by type. linear(weapons), box dim add (power), box dim mult (docking).

How do I do this because I want to change the thrusters to scale with their box dimensions.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You're in a fight and your shields go down and the next punch shot cuts your engine in half. You are not screwed.
    I MUCH prefer this new way engines work. Compromising ship designs for efficient power setups is all the complication we need. Having power storage and engines act the same way gives you a lot less to worry about. All you need is a clear path so you can link the block groups together.

Ships big enough to being "pierced" don't really rely on one single "cable" of engines anyway to have this problem. The "web design" prevents that well. Still, fighters are now even more weak and useless due to the increase of needing on space for engines. That means less space for power/shielding/weaponry. So yes, since I'm into small crafts, I hate this change with all of my heart.