StarMade 0.152 (fixes and custom sector size)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I would like to know why you decided to totally trash the whole game with your "new"weapons? All the time and work put in on building great ships has been a waste. What's the point of playing if what you build is worthless because you guys didn't think this through. We now have to have duplicate systems to have 1 mildly functioning weapon. I am so disappointed with this build! I was looking forward to new weapon but not this way. I wonder how many people are going to quit playing because of this. You guy's could have done SO MUCH better!!
    We've known that the old weapons system has been a placeholder for the new system for a while now. Alot of people have been holding off on big build projects to accomodate for this. This game is still in Alpha, the dev team (Calbiri and Schema) have said themselves that the game will be nothing like it is in the current state, when it is finished. Balance and combat are going to have big changes. Because you were unaware of of these upcoming changes does not mean you are jusitified in your criticisms of a known upcoming feature of an alpha game.

Reaction score
    The new weapon system wants to bring balance to combat or do you like to destroy a ship within seconds? And if you have to duplicate you weapon systems to get a acceptable gun you don´t use it right. Some of my upgraded ships are now more effecive than before
    Well excuse me! Guess you dont like opinions that differ from yours. Having every ship, turret & defense platform rendered useless is not my idea of a step forward. Fine you want beam weapons then why not beam cpu and beam arrays? Been playing this game for almost a year and this is THE WORST update ever!!!!

Reaction score
    Well excuse me! Guess you dont like opinions that differ from yours. Having every ship, turret & defense platform rendered useless is not my idea of a step forward. Fine you want beam weapons then why not beam cpu and beam arrays? Been playing this game for almost a year and this is THE WORST update ever!!!!
    Look man relax, the Dev team has been working on this update for a long time and if you have complaints there are much more productive ways to approach them.

Reactions: kupu
    Reaction score
    Look man relax, the Dev team has been working on this update for a long time and if you have complaints there are much more productive ways to approach them.
    And how would you suggest i approach this ? I have heard nothing but complaints from players about this being messed up. This makes the game no longer fun! How sad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    And how would you suggest i approach this ? I have heard nothing but complaints from players about this being messed up. This makes the game no longer fun! How sad
    The only people I've seen complaining are those who are angry that their Shotgun of Doom ships can no longer fire 50 bullets a second, and those who are annoyed by the beam lengths (completely justified, it should be increased).

Reaction score
    I suggest you go about this by using this forum for what it is designed for which is constructive critique with the understanding that as a new game develops there may be changes that you do not like.
    On that note remember that this game is free at the moment you are not an investor as far as I know and you do not own creative license over the direction of the game the Devs do. If you dont like where the game is going then that is okay, you have not put money into it nor do you have to at the moment and there are plenty of other games out there that are similar but going in separate directions feel free to migrate if the new build is so awful. Now can we please get back to constructive issues and complaints?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The only people I've seen complaining are those who are angry that their Shotgun of Doom ships can no longer fire 50 bullets a second, and those who are annoyed by the beam lengths (completely justified, it should be increased).
    Totally aggree with you there! I don't want to interrupt your discussion about whether or not this update ruins the game experience of "Shotgun-of-Doom-ship-builders", but Would anyone be so kind to tell me if there is currently a way to adjust the power of shields in the config files?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It makes it really hard to test anything for it's effectiveness when you do 3 dmg to shields with 70dmg/shot weapons

Reaction score
    It makes it really hard to test anything for it's effectiveness when you do 3 dmg to shields with 70dmg/shot weapons
    That is a bug from the recent hotfix, its been reported and Schema is working on correcting it.

However, anyone looking to play with the config
    you can go into StarMade/data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.xml
    once you have this file open, you may find stats that you wish to change and adjust the numbers,
    We have not provided notes on all stats, some may be using equations that are not readily obvious.
    As the game progresses I will try to include more informative notations in the config and explain what each line interacts with in the code.

Reactions: LukeSalmon
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Would anyone be so kind to tell me if there is currently a way to adjust the power of shields in the config files?
    Sans titre.jpg
    For having less shields: set the 1) value lower (default value is 495 but you can go even lower than 100)
    You can ajust the power consuption per shield point regenerated by ajusting the 2) value
    The options I putted in a yellow box are interesting options you may want to ajust.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS NEGATIVE AS HELL. IT WILL LIKELY BECOME THE SINGLE MOST UNIVERSALLY HATED THING TO EVER BE POSTED HERE. I AM EFFECTIVELY COMMITTING FORUM SUICIDE BY POSTING IT.

While Blackeyez could certainly handle Himself in a more polite manner, I pretty much agree with Him. The only reason I'm not ranting like mad on the forums is that I'm tired of spending an hour+ hammering out some heavily detailed TL;DR, only to have the point completely missed by fellow players, and completely ignored by Dev and test personal. in the current state, I'd end up typing an article that would rival the flipping Magna Carta for size.
    Instead, the time the I could have wasted here is spent on other video games. (Like Xenominer)

Updates take months.
    The large time gap would make sense if the updates were bug-free and balanced, but waiting months for an update that makes the game worse is unacceptable.
    "Dude! It's an alpha! You don't have to participate-" Nope. EVERYTHING'S an alpha/beta now. Seriously, go hit Steam. Developers are releasing everything as alpha/beta now. I don't want to play a half-finished game, but I can't find finished ones anymore. Well, AAA titles are the exception, but those are boring.
    "Well, then just wait for the game to finish an-" Whoa, sparky, I'm gonna just interrupt You right there. There's no such thing as "Finished" anymore. Devs pride themselves on it. "Oh, well, the game is always going to be in development, so We can keep delivering new material to our players yaddyayaddayadda". Look up a game called "Cortex Command". It's been in "alpha" FOR ELEVEN YEARS. By the time a game hits a playable state, if ever, I'll be even fatter and older then I am now.

The updates deliver more bugs then fixes or content.
    Really. an update that takes months to come out, has been "tested" by countless players thru dev builds, have had videos made about them, daily, and it's the same thing every time. An update comes out, and the forums erupt with reports of really, REALLY obvious bugs that should have been sqaushed in dev. Hot fixes are sporadic. Take the update that had the new hull bits. When that came out, all ore disappeared from the asteroids. It was reported, confirmed by testers.....
    Nothing. This should have had a hotfix within two weeks.

"Awww lardo! Be reasonable! It's just one or two guys working o-"
    Then get more personnel. Making video games is hard. Really, REALLY, hard. Which is why they are developed by teams. Even tech demos who's only purpose is to look cool and show off the maker's skill, are normally developed by groups. You want to have a viable product on the market, with money and praise to follow? Well, You're not going to get there alone. You want all the glory for Yourself? That's fine, I can dig it. But it also means You get ALL the criticism on Your shoulders as well.
    The annoying part is that Schema wouldn't even have to hire anyone. Talents like to volunteer for this sort of thing all the time. All schema would have to do is hold a contest, or set up an application process, and hand pick the finest.

"But chunkybutt! Some dude posted an article about how adding extra people negatively effects the workflow o-" Nope. The "too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the sauce" reason doesn't work went the kitchen is obviously understaffed.
    I know We have talented players out there. We have at least one musician, there's probably a few SFX guys out there, and there are a few coders who have already contacted Schema, hoping to help out in some way, or at least get some information on how the game's engine works so they can write efficient mods for it. Nothing. I would gladly offer My services as angry bitter fat old man. Video game developers need those, right?
    Besides, We already have documented proof that miscommunications between what few testers there are and Schema have already happened. Evidently, that's how the shield power drain issues came about. So adding personnel mid-project couldn't possibly hurt.

The new weapon system only half-works, and is inherently flawed.
    Small, low-power, rapid-fire weapons in arrays have been the bread and butter of fighter craft due to small size and ease of use. Now in Starmade, A bare cannon is pointless. It fires too slow, and pulls too hard on the powerplant. You NEED to add "support" blocks. Now the weapon in question is TWICE IT'S MASS PER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON, has about as much damage as a spitwad, cannot be tuned; requires nearly a 1:1 ratio of support blocks to function, and pulls on the powerplant so hard most fighter-scale spacecraft cannot function.
    Shields, on the other hand, are scary-op. I had to intentionally leave empty spaces in My ships, spaces that I'd normally pack with Shield generators, out of fear of ending up in godmode. But, let's not fixate on small ships. This effects larger ships almost the same way. Sure, on a large vessel You have more room to mount blocks, but the power usage is horrid! How did this ever get past test?

"Well gee whiz fattie, the old system was a placeholder, You knew you'd have to update-" This isn't about having to update My ships. I expected that. The new system itself is bad on it's own concept and merit. It is not to much to ask that a 60-to-100 mass fighter be able to operate six small five-to-ten block cannons, with a secondary weapon onboard, like a set of ten-or-twenty-block d1000 missile systems.
    Not now. No, now almost all mass has to be devoted to weapon support blocks and powerplant. In yesterday's refit tests, I was able to get some of My ships to sort of work with their primary weapons, but start to struggle with secondary weapons due to the massive power and physical space needs. Again, this scales up. With a larger ship I could fit almost everything, but there were severe power issues. Which means scaling up the ship in question not for more weapons or equipment, but just so you could cram a powerplant in there big enough to power the meager weapon system You had started with! Oh! but now your ship is bigger! So much bigger, that You now need a larger thrust system to move at Your old speeds..... Which uses more power. Oh, and by the way, now that cool cheap simple little starfighter You were working on is the size of a small corvette........ And still sort of sucks.

"Oh come on partysized! surely You just don't fully understand the new weapon system. Maybe You made a few mistakes?" Yup. I probably did. Which is another problem. If a guy who's rabidly obsessed with this game is having trouble reasoning out how to simply make a ship work, what about potential new players? Sure, starting out in a new game is a pain, but after a short bit of trying and failing, You figure it out, and go have fun. Then, in a few weeks time, You've gotten good enough at said game to go deeper. Now You're sitting there, obsessing over min-maxing a build, looking to make it the best it could be.
    At least that's how it's supposed to be.
    Now, that same amount of effort is needed, just to get something to work on the most basic level. Imagine what a brand new player is going to go through with this..........

And let's talk about them weapons. I already touched on AMCs. But how about those damage beams? Poop.
    A weapon like this is considered "Hitscan". It has an instant travel time and hit, at the cost of doing very little damage in time, thus needing to be held in a certain spot in order to reliably cause harm to Your target.
    Instead, the Starmade beam works like this: It still needs to be held in place, but it does no damage whatsoever until it's been on one spot long enough, then delivers it's damage in one dedicated hit...... So what's the point of using this over a cannon? Range? All weapons have the same max range. Projectile speed? All weapons currently travel fast as hell. Ease of use? Cannons are easier.
    The only reason I can see for mounting beams.... Is so I can say IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR! and nothing more.
    Missiles? Well, I'd like to give you a full opinion on them..... BUT THEY DON'T WORK. When fired, they take off like a bat outta hell, and ghost their way through any solid object. I can comment on their power usage.... HOLY SHIT. Again with the horrid power issues. What kind of missiles are these? Did I just break into CERN, swipe their stuff, and strap a couple of Large Hadron Colliders to the bottom of My plane?

And another thing..... Oh god.... OH GOD! I did it anyways! I said I wasn't going to blow hours typing a TL;DR, And I just blew hours typing a TL;DR!
    Damn it Starmade! Not again! Glob help Me! -sobs-

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS NEGATIVE AS HELL. IT WILL LIKELY BECOME THE SINGLE MOST UNIVERSALLY HATED THING TO EVER BE POSTED HERE. I AM EFFECTIVELY COMMITTING FORUM SUICIDE BY POSTING IT.

While Blackeyez could certainly handle Himself in a more polite manner, I pretty much agree with Him. The only reason I'm not ranting like mad on the forums is that I'm tired of spending an hour+ hammering out some heavily detailed TL;DR, only to have the point completely missed by fellow players, and completely ignored by Dev and test personal. in the current state, I'd end up typing an article that would rival the flipping Magna Carta for size.
    Instead, the time the I could have wasted here is spent on other video games. (Like Xenominer)

Updates take months.
    The large time gap would make sense if the updates were bug-free and balanced, but waiting months for an update that makes the game worse is unacceptable.
    "Dude! It's an alpha! You don't have to participate-" Nope. EVERYTHING'S an alpha/beta now. Seriously, go hit Steam. Developers are releasing everything as alpha/beta now. I don't want to play a half-finished game, but I can't find finished ones anymore. Well, AAA titles are the exception, but those are boring.
    "Well, then just wait for the game to finish an-" Whoa, sparky, I'm gonna just interrupt You right there. There's no such thing as "Finished" anymore. Devs pride themselves on it. "Oh, well, the game is always going to be in development, so We can keep delivering new material to our players yaddyayaddayadda". Look up a game called "Cortex Command". It's been in "alpha" FOR ELEVEN YEARS. By the time a game hits a playable state, if ever, I'll be even fatter and older then I am now.

Really. an update that takes months to come out, has been "tested" by countless players thru dev builds, have had videos made about them, daily, and it's the same thing every time. An update comes out, and the forums erupt with reports of really, REALLY obvious bugs that should have been sqaushed in dev. Hot fixes are sporadic. Take the update that had the new hull bits. When that came out, all ore disappeared from the asteroids. It was reported, confirmed by testers.....

Then get more personnel. Making video games is hard. Really, REALLY, hard. Which is why they are developed by teams. Even tech demos who's only purpose is to look cool and show off the maker's skill, are normally developed by groups. You want to have a viable product on the market, with money and praise to follow? Well, You're not going to get there alone. You want all the glory for Yourself? That's fine, I can dig it. But it also means You get ALL the criticism on Your shoulders as well.
    The annoying part is that Schema wouldn't even have to hire anyone. Talents like to volunteer for this sort of thing all the time. All schema would have to do is hold a contest, or set up an application process, and hand pick the finest.

"But chunkybutt! Some dude posted an article about how adding extra people negatively effects the workflow o-" Nope. The "too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the sauce" reason doesn't work went the kitchen is obviously understaffed.
    I know We have talented players out there. We have at least one musician, there's probably a few SFX guys out there, and there are a few coders who have already contacted Schema, hoping to help out in some way, or at least get some information on how the game's engine works so they can write efficient mods for it. Nothing. I would gladly offer My services as angry bitter fat old man. Video game developers need those, right?
    Besides, We already have documented proof that miscommunications between what few testers there are and Schema have already happened. Evidently, that's how the shield power drain issues came about. So adding personnel mid-project couldn't possibly hurt.

Small, low-power, rapid-fire weapons in arrays have been the bread and butter of fighter craft due to small size and ease of use. Now in Starmade, A bare cannon is pointless. It fires too slow, and pulls too hard on the powerplant. You NEED to add "support" blocks. Now the weapon in question is TWICE IT'S MASS PER INDIVIDUAL WEAPON, has about as much damage as a spitwad, cannot be tuned; requires nearly a 1:1 ratio of support blocks to function, and pulls on the powerplant so hard most fighter-scale spacecraft cannot function.
    Shields, on the other hand, are scary-op. I had to intentionally leave empty spaces in My ships, spaces that I'd normally pack with Shield generators, out of fear of ending up in godmode. But, let's not fixate on small ships. This effects larger ships almost the same way. Sure, on a large vessel You have more room to mount blocks, but the power usage is horrid! How did this ever get past test?

"Well gee whiz fattie, the old system was a placeholder, You knew you'd have to update-" This isn't about having to update My ships. I expected that. The new system itself is bad on it's own concept and merit. It is not to much to ask that a 60-to-100 mass fighter be able to operate six small five-to-ten block cannons, with a secondary weapon onboard, like a set of ten-or-twenty-block d1000 missile systems.
    Not now. No, now almost all mass has to be devoted to weapon support blocks and powerplant. In yesterday's refit tests, I was able to get some of My ships to sort of work with their primary weapons, but start to struggle with secondary weapons due to the massive power and physical space needs. Again, this scales up. With a larger ship I could fit almost everything, but there were severe power issues. Which means scaling up the ship in question not for more weapons or equipment, but just so you could cram a powerplant in there big enough to power the meager weapon system You had started with! Oh! but now your ship is bigger! So much bigger, that You now need a larger thrust system to move at Your old speeds..... Which uses more power. Oh, and by the way, now that cool cheap simple little starfighter You were working on is the size of a small corvette........ And still sort of sucks.

"Oh come on partysized! surely You just don't fully understand the new weapon system. Maybe You made a few mistakes?" Yup. I probably did. Which is another problem. If a guy who's rabidly obsessed with this game is having trouble reasoning out how to simply make a ship work, what about potential new players? Sure, starting out in a new game is a pain, but after a short bit of trying and failing, You figure it out, and go have fun. Then, in a few weeks time, You've gotten good enough at said game to go deeper. Now You're sitting there, obsessing over min-maxing a build, looking to make it the best it could be.
    Now, that same amount of effort is needed, just to get something to work on the most basic level. Imagine what a brand new player is going to go through with this..........

And let's talk about them weapons. I already touched on AMCs. But how about those damage beams? Poop.
    A weapon like this is considered "Hitscan". It has an instant travel time and hit, at the cost of doing very little damage in time, thus needing to be held in a certain spot in order to reliably cause harm to Your target.
    Instead, the Starmade beam works like this: It still needs to be held in place, but it does no damage whatsoever until it's been on one spot long enough, then delivers it's damage in one dedicated hit...... So what's the point of using this over a cannon? Range? All weapons have the same max range. Projectile speed? All weapons currently travel fast as hell. Ease of use? Cannons are easier.
    The only reason I can see for mounting beams.... Is so I can say IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR! and nothing more.
    Missiles? Well, I'd like to give you a full opinion on them..... BUT THEY DON'T WORK. When fired, they take off like a bat outta hell, and ghost their way through any solid object. I can comment on their power usage.... HOLY SHIT. Again with the horrid power issues. What kind of missiles are these? Did I just break into CERN, swipe their stuff, and strap a couple of Large Hadron Colliders to the bottom of My plane?

And another thing..... Oh god.... OH GOD! I did it anyways! I said I wasn't going to blow hours typing a TL;DR, And I just blew hours typing a TL;DR!
    I agree with EVERYTHING on this post except the beam part
    Sure you need to make it 2x sized for rapid fire but its worth it.

Reaction score
    Majorfatboy While I don't agree with you're argument that adding personnel mid-project couldn't hurt because there's already miscommunications going on (the problem's already there, so making it worse won't matter!), I do think that a sound guy, maybe a special effects guy, and several bug testers would help the game along immeasurably. I haven't been part of the community for very long, so I wouldn't know the agony of waiting for updates for months, but I will assume that it is a painful situation to be in.

Yes, there are lots of problems with the new update. No, they shouldn't have been there. ...I don't really have anything else to say about that.

I kind of get the vibe that no one really cares about fighters. Its all titans and doomcubes and stations, maybe a couple frigates or whatever you call them. But no one is ever like 'woah, that's an awesome fighter! I will definitely be flying this', or even 'I used a fighter one time in multiplayer', or even 'So I was building a fighter...'.

I hope the new weapon system will be fixed within the next week or two. That's really the best we can expect. Beams could do with some differentiation from cannons, yes. Missiles are broken. I'm restating things you already said, and should really just stop.

Also, sorry to hear about your suicide. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Updates take months.

I can't help but agree with your post. I could not write it as good myself. It's sad but I don't want Starmade to remain this way

Reaction score

Updates take months.

This is how constructive critique is given. granted I do not hate the update but the result is a little unfortunate.

Reactions: Majorfatboy
    Reaction score

Updates take months.

Beams need to be lower damage, long range, fast tick weapons. Personnel may help, shields and power are OP and UP respectively. The weapon system needs work. Yep, I agree.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I don't agree with some of your critique. But the technical and balance aspect of your post I pretty much completely agree with.

The game is in early stages, and I really don't expect it to be stable right now. Of course I'm fairly let down that it's hard to retrofit, especially with this update, but I saw it coming. However, anyone crying alpha to circumvent any criticism is going about things wrong. Honestly, it's getting to the point where it's just a buzzword now.

Throwing more devs at a problem just doesn't always work. You might have a point at a small scale like Starmade, and that's reasonable, but look at all these modern games coming out. Big companies throw money and devs at the problem and shit just doesn't fly. We should see reduced times between updates now according to schema. Based on how he doesn't like to set deadlines for reasons (nothing wrong with that) that gives me some confidence.

While the weapons could use some more streamlining, I didn't find any problems understanding it after more than 5 minutes. AAA games already pander to the lowest common denominator, this game doesn't need to do that.

Now, the bloat with all the new systems, Jesus I couldn't agree more. Tertiary effects make things ridiculous, and this basically only helps big ships while screwing small ones even more than they already were. I wish that the custom ratios for secondary and tertiary effects could just be controlled through the secondary and tertiary CPUs with a slider instead of having to set a ton of more blocks.

Shields are absolutely screwed. No elaboration needed.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    WARNING: Long post.

If you have a problem with Alpha/Beta/continual devlopment games, and you have a problem with finished games - what is there left? Not to take your views as unjustified cynicism, that is. There are a lot of crappy "alpha and beta" games out there that are blatantly horrible and just try to take money off people. There are a lot of AAA games that do the same. There are also development teams that really care about what they produce and try their hardest to make their vision for the game realized.

I think the real reason that StarMade is in open development, where players can play an alpha game, is that this is Schema's entire job. I don't think it's a "this is never gonna be finished until it has 10/10 reviews from everyone" kinda game development. This is Schema's baby, and he has a definitive vision for it. He is aiming to achieve that vision, and once that it's 100% complete he can call it "done". It's not a "money sink" (read: scam) unlike other open development games, and it will be finished - it just may be that "finished" is years off. This kind of open development suits Schema so he can get feedback from the community, and make adjustments to suit.

I've said it before, this is entirely new balance. You don't actually have to add twice as many support blocks as you want primary blocks. If you want a rapid fire cannon that uses an array of 100 cannon blocks, then use a 50 master/50 slave ratio. If you're trying to add a 100 slave system to the 100 master system so you can have "a rapid fire cannon of 100 blocks", you've actually created a 200 power weapon instead of 100 (any bugs non-withstanding).

This new balance includes a major retuning of shields. Now you've said (and this is a direct quote) "I had to intentionally leave empty spaces in My ships, spaces that I'd normally pack with Shield generators" and "but the power usage is horrid!". In the *old balance* (it has been dubbed) people would but in as much thrust as they need, as much power as they need, their weapon systems - and then fill out ALL the remaining space with shields. Well, you can do the same thing now, except you have to use more power, slightly more weapons blocks, and less shields. In my own opinion, there is nothing wrong with this. In the *old balance* there where good ships and bad ships (in terms of combat). Now there is no definitive "best way to balance a ship for combat" (also known as "the only way to balance a ship for combat"). Builders have the freedom to creae a ship any way they want. Want a fighter that uses rapid fire cannons and lock-on ion missiles? You can make that, and it would be fine to use. Want a medium range artillery that fires swarms of heatseeking rockets, alternating between ion and explosive variants? That works too.

To further my point, I've outfitted one of my more recent fighter designs to the new update. The balance on it is fine. I just took out a few shield blocks and replaced them with power blocks, and split my AMC array, and slaved just over half of it to the other less-than-half. Power consumption is fine, I have no problems with it. While I would be patient with a bug in the game, I am happy with the new balance.

I think you're going about it the wrong way. You want a cannon array of ~ 60 blocks, and a secondary weapon of ~ 10-20 blocks. The simple solution is to make a cannon array of ~60 blocks, and a secondary weapon of 20 blocks. How rapid fire do you want it? It's no longer a pain to find a good balance between reload and damage. Try a ratio of 4:6 (Master:Slave), still using those 60 blocks. Or you could be creative, and turn it into shotgun style weapon with a 7:3, only firing from 1-3 points instead of 6. Try to stop thinking in terms of the *old balance*. You might find that once that happens, you'll begin to appreciate the new system much more.

The new UI layout certainly helps to figure things out (you can even master and slave systems from that screen instead of doing it by hand). Read the informative tables (I'll even make one myself, in formatting I preferr). As for new players...

I did a science experiment back in high school on the difference between a single kick drum, a double kicker, and a single-pedalled double kicker that I designed and built. It was measured in terms of number of consistant hits per minute. The experiment used drummers and non-drummers. The important thing is this: drummers who had only used a single kick pedal before had a LOWER bpm count when using a double kicker, compared to non-drummers. Their single kick pedal BPM count was considerably higher than a non-drummers single kick BPM, and their own double kicker BPM. This is because a double kick pedal uses a noticabley different technique to a single kick pedal, and because they were so used to using a single kick pedal - they tried to transferr that technique to a double kicker and it failed. Even in personnal experience I struggle using a doule kicker ot the fullest extent, but my single kick technique, speed, and power is praised even by my teachers. The bottom line? It's harder to unlearn what you have known for a while than it is to learn a totally new skill. It's quite hard to do with muscle memory, but with just normal memory? Our brains are incredibly adaptable, and can actually make new pathways to accomadate new knowledge or skills.

I personally have not tried beam weapons yet, so I have no right to opinion on that matter. Yet. I'm thinking of using it as a tractor beam type thing or similar, but for the moment I'll reserve my own right of judgment. Missiles are another change I'm happy to accomodate, their new speed is much better than the old (along the lines of: I would like to use missiles, but they're so slow in smaller arrays that it's pointless). As for the clipping issue, that's been an on/off problem for ages. It'll be fixed.

You've brought up power issues multiple times, and I would like to say now: Power in the *old balance* was just something that you had, and as long as you had enough of it everything was peachy. Now you actually have to properly manage your power between different systems. It's actually a valuable resource instead of a thing-that's-there-and-if-you-have-it-your-ship-works-and-if-you-don't-it-doesn't.

So while alot of your criticism is much better structured and better argued (and in a way that makes it valid, if not disgruntled), I think alot of the game changes are something people are unhappy with because it's different. Not inherently worse (I would argue it's inherently better), but certainly different.