StarFeed Podcast -- For anything and everything spaceworthy!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you have an old set of earphones, you can see what happens when you try to plug them into your mic port and talk into them. Many computers now will take input from earphones and amplify them to microphone audio levels. I've tried it with success.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You mean like old head sets? Or earbuds???

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If you have an old set of earphones, you can see what happens when you try to plug them into your mic port and talk into them. Many computers now will take input from earphones and amplify them to microphone audio levels. I've tried it with success.
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat :O

This is seriously amazing. The audio quality must be shite, but still amazing :P

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You mean like old head sets? Or earbuds???
    Yes. I used the trick on an old set of cheap headphones that were uncomfortable, had lost their thin padding, and one of the two speakers was going out.

It feels ridiculous and even embarrassing at first, but hey, free microphone.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    To bad I only have free bandicam. There was something called Razor though that helped optimizing gaming. It also came with a screen camera. Maybe I'll look at it more thoroughly

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Episode 4: New News!

This was an attempt at a slightly different format, discussing recent game and community news instead of a main topic. Tell us what you think!

:)

Reactions: Lecic

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Still got FTL music in the background. I have left my mark on the series. Nice episode this week, fire. Sorry I couldn't attend.

Reactions: Top 4ce and fire219

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    YES!!! AMERICAN FOOTBALL FTW!!!!!

UGA 66 Trojans 0

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    To bad recording devices totally screw with my voice. :(

Reaction score
    dude...holy hell....mind blown! that actually makes total sense when you think about it. but it never occurred to me that could be possible.

for those wondering. the reason this makes sense (should work) is because head phones (or any speaker really) are basically a coil attached to a membrane specifically designed to resonate at frequencies the human ear can hear. normally the coil receives an electrical signal from a device (computer, mp3 player, ECT) which causes the coil to create rapidly changing magnetic fields which cause the membrane to resonate/vibrate and thus generate sound.

but in theory the reverse should also be true. the membrane will also resonate with any sound in the air around it. so this movment would cause the coil to send an electrical signal back down the cable and in theory that can be amplified to proper levels. amazing! i never thought of this before now. im so going to try this out later.

thanks for the concept!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    On behalf of everyone, sorry for the two week miss guys D: Hope to return with more Starfeed next weekend!