In Developement Sounds

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ...I think its also important to remember that more than just music can fill a void; ambient sound itself contributes a huge amount to the environment. For example, howling wind on an Icy Planet can really bring out that desolate, isolated feeling.

And ships can be brought to life with various sounds (which can be emitted from blocks) such as fans slowly whooshing, lights with that fluorescent/neon buzzing hum; or subtle, industrious whirling, grinding, & pounding emanating from deep within a structure.

Though bare in mind that an overload of noise, even when quiet, can possibly lower the quality of, or out right ruin an environment's mood/feel....
    Yes, sound overload could become a very real problem for ships in StarMade, because overwhelming sound may limit a builder's creativity ("Gotta remove all those extra fans and logic monitoring wall due to the noise. That's a shame. It was working so well without all the noise...")

For example, I always wonder about Tie-Fighter pilots in the Star Wars universe. Won't they be driven psychotic by the Tie-Fighter constant engine whine? The sound is fun and interesting when they pass by for a moment, but listening to it constantly? No wonder the Empire is so evil!

Hopefully default ambient sound will be incredibly soft and sparse, while sound blocks would be available for major sounds instead.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Any news on sound ?
    Not talking about music but sound effect rather.

Ambiance is very important for the game. It allows for immersion, with sound you can really get into the game. As it is now the game lack an atmosphere to really feel comfortable. Its like using a -good- 3d design/build program.

When i open a door i'd like sound. When my boots hit the outer hull of a ship i'd like a sound. When rails are active i'd like sound. All this will bring life in this game and is a major part missing from this game otherwise very good.

As it is now, its cold and unfriendly. Game mechanics ok, but sound also. It is time. You will get a lot more people staying to play if they feel confortable and "recognise" the game when they launch it by its sound and can feel "at home" because of it. In known territory.
    People will be able to appropriate the game and think "ah its my game".

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ...For example, I always wonder about Tie-Fighter pilots in the Star Wars universe. Won't they be driven psychotic by the Tie-Fighter constant engine whine? The sound is fun and interesting when they pass by for a moment, but listening to it constantly? No wonder the Empire is so evil!....
    It's a safety thing, like motrcycle riders say, "See me, hear me".

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm gonna have to necro this topic, because I was personally caught in something important to this game.
    Se, I recently picked up Empyrion. On many fields it falls behind Starmade. You still kill ships by coring them, they clip through each other with no physical simulation, you can't walk on a ship in-flight because you clip through and fall out, no AI controlled multi-block vessels so far, building is a lot harder even in creative mode, etc. It does have true survival aspect and a much better planetside gameplay (and actually, the way they generate and render planets, is simple yet effective, works better than the dodecahedrons.)
    But this isn't the main thing.
    See, a lot players I met and talked to (and was playing on the 2 most populated servers the game currently has, so it's well over a hundred people I talk to daily) know about Starmade and tried it. And one of the most important issues they had with the game, is the lack of ambient music and sounds. I heard this the most after the (not surprising) graphics and planetside gameplay comparison.

And I started wondering. The more senses a game could stimulate simultaneously, the more immersive it is (that's why force feedback was invented). Computer games are made with their own set of sounds and soundtrack since the very beginning of game design, and a good sound/soundtrack can make or break a great game. I'm sure every single one of you can recall a memorable game soundtrack score.

So... why is sound and soundtrack on such a terribly low priority in Starmade's development that basicly NOTHING changed for the last what, 4 years? That not even the sounds already in the game resource library are being used? Half a year ago we were told it's being worked on, and no news ever since. Which is a problem. A big one. Whether it's realistic or not, people want to feel like they are piloting a spaceship in an epic sci-fi universe, and that needs the proper music and sounds to work.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm gonna have to necro this topic, because I was personally caught in something important to this game.
    Se, I recently picked up Empyrion. On many fields it falls behind Starmade. You still kill ships by coring them, they clip through each other with no physical simulation, you can't walk on a ship in-flight because you clip through and fall out, no AI controlled multi-block vessels so far, building is a lot harder even in creative mode, etc. It does have true survival aspect and a much better planetside gameplay (and actually, the way they generate and render planets, is simple yet effective, works better than the dodecahedrons.)
    See, a lot players I met and talked to (and was playing on the 2 most populated servers the game currently has, so it's well over a hundred people I talk to daily) know about Starmade and tried it. And one of the most important issues they had with the game, is the lack of ambient music and sounds. I heard this the most after the (not surprising) graphics and planetside gameplay comparison.

And I started wondering. The more senses a game could stimulate simultaneously, the more immersive it is (that's why force feedback was invented). Computer games are made with their own set of sounds and soundtrack since the very beginning of game design, and a good sound/soundtrack can make or break a great game. I'm sure every single one of you can recall a memorable game soundtrack score.

So... why is sound and soundtrack on such a terribly low priority in Starmade's development that basicly NOTHING changed for the last what, 4 years? That not even the sounds already in the game resource library are being used? Half a year ago we were told it's being worked on, and no news ever since. Which is a problem. A big one. Whether it's realistic or not, people want to feel like they are piloting a spaceship in an epic sci-fi universe, and that needs the proper music and sounds to work.
    A lot has been worked on actually.

You can check out Danki 's thread and see. He's the sounds guy. They seem to be working on building assets before the sound engine is ready.

Dank's Thread

They've been showcasing some of the music on stream as well!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

I can answer a part of this. At least from the perspective of a developer. First, only within the last year or two has the team really come together to put together all the parts for this game. Music included. It's even harder to find a composer that suits what we are looking for in a soundtrack, so that took a while longer to sort out.

For now, as it stands in alpha, music is still not the biggest priority. It's gameplay that we really lack. I can listen to plenty of other things while playing. But I can't play a substitute for the gameplay without touching multiplayer, and even then, it's very basic. So I guess that is why sound is not the biggest priority.

It is being worked on however. When we start the focus on sound I am sure we will see it kick off, as we have a list of everything we will need.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can answer a part of this. At least from the perspective of a developer. First, only within the last year or two has the team really come together to put together all the parts for this game. Music included. It's even harder to find a composer that suits what we are looking for in a soundtrack, so that took a while longer to sort out.

For now, as it stands in alpha, music is still not the biggest priority. It's gameplay that we really lack. I can listen to plenty of other things while playing. But I can't play a substitute for the gameplay without touching multiplayer, and even then, it's very basic. So I guess that is why sound is not the biggest priority.

It is being worked on however. When we start the focus on sound I am sure we will see it kick off, as we have a list of everything we will need.
    You guys started an early access business model, which means you have a responsibility to make the game captivating enough to play for the average player as well, not just suitable for testers. Which means, while implementing gameplay features can and should be top priority, making the game itself immersive should also be high on the list. And even aside that, there's another important thing:
    Complete silence, just doesn't work. Especially since sound is also a very important gameplay element that gives the player instant and clear sensory feedback on a different channel to visual about what's going on: that the ship started moving (thrusters firing up) that you've just come under fire (impact sounds) that your weapon actually fired OR didn't (for example, not enough power), that a system was activated or deactivated, that your missile got a lock (any flight/space sim ever) etc.
    There is a very good reason why real life aircrafts, both civilian and military, also employ a lot of audio alerts, notifications and status signals. Or just that small sound you hear when you put up your turn signal on your car that lets you know it's on without taking your eyes off the road.
    Sounds are not important? Try play your favourite games (other than Starmade) muted. Simply won't feel the same.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You guys started an early access business model, which means you have a responsibility to make the game captivating enough to play for the average player as well, not just suitable for testers. Which means, while implementing gameplay features can and should be top priority, making the game itself immersive should also be high on the list. And even aside that, there's another important thing:
    Complete silence, just doesn't work. Especially since sound is also a very important gameplay element that gives the player instant and clear sensory feedback on a different channel to visual about what's going on: that the ship started moving (thrusters firing up) that you've just come under fire (impact sounds) that your weapon actually fired OR didn't (for example, not enough power), that a system was activated or deactivated, that your missile got a lock (any flight/space sim ever) etc.
    There is a very good reason why real life aircrafts, both civilian and military, also employ a lot of audio alerts, notifications and status signals. Or just that small sound you hear when you put up your turn signal on your car that lets you know it's on without taking your eyes off the road.
    Sounds are not important? Try play your favourite games (other than Starmade) muted. Simply won't feel the same.
    From Steam's Early Access FAQ:
    "When you buy an Early Access game, you should consider what the game is like to play right now. Look at the screenshots and videos to see what the game looks like in its current state. There are a lot of ways a game can go as it develops over time, so if you aren't excited to play the game in its current state, then hold off and wait until the next update--it shouldn't be far off."

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    can't speak for the management of things before Schine is what it is today, but I'm betting we did not have an audience large enough to provide credible artists for a soundtrack, and searching for one in such an early state of the game may have proven a fruitless endeavor.

If we had someone working on sound 3 years ago, do you still think we would have no sound in the game? That is my point. The opportunity to actually get what we wanted didn't present itself till within the last year.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Just wanting to say that in most games, I turn music off. It might be nice for the first hour or so, but after 100 hours in a game, the same music over and over is really tiresome. In my opinion, music is an 'extremely' low priority.

Sound effects and ambient on the other hand is extremely important. Sound is literally half the experience. Try this for an exercise. Watch the air to air combat scene near the end of Top Gun, but turn off the sound. You'll see the interior of a cockpit, the helmet of a pilot shakes about a bit. A tiny plane drifts past in the distance... It is terribly un-interesting. Now, watch the same scene, but turn the sound on. Now you can appreciate how it is that Top Gun got Oscar nominated for every sound category, and editing. It is the sound that transformed the experience from very lackluster imagery to something extraordinary.

Reaction score
    hey guys, i know this thread is old but as its a thread pinned to the suggestions board, i thought it would be a good place to go...

i studied music tech at university, and would be thrilled to get on board with helping to make some of the sounds if needed! dont know where its at atm, but making sound effects is definitely in my repertoire, so if you need an extra pew-pew guy, hit me up!

Last edited: