In Developement Sounds

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    When are new sounds coming out? For a while I've been waiting for the scream of fighers past my flagship, the roar of the jump drive charging, and the crackle of the shields going down. I know this is the kind of finishing touches that would be made usually right before game release, and I know that the devs are currently working on the crews, but... does anyone know how long until we get these sounds? I can't wait for them :D

(PS - if you want some suggestions i have plenty;))

Reactions: alij331

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I have already heard some of the work being done for music and sound design. All I can say is be patient and take solace in the fact that someone is working on it. Sounds in game is a highly requested feature. Please understand that focus on game mechanics or artwork or assets does not detract from sound production. The reason for the delay was due to simply not having musical talent in our team at the time.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I have already heard some of the work being done for music and sound design. All I can say is be patient and take solace in the fact that someone is working on it. Sounds in game is a highly requested feature. Please understand that focus on game mechanics or artwork or assets does not detract from sound production. The reason for the delay was due to simply not having musical talent in our team at the time.
    Who's working on it? Any examples? Literally anything beyond "Yup... sounds are a thing"?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Who's working on it? Any examples? Literally anything beyond "Yup... sounds are a thing"?
    Yes because today was the very first time we had an opportunity as a team to be exposed to it. As such there could be many refinements to sound direction and we shouldn't share anything so early in production. I will admit however that literally nobody has commented on an older sound asset that has been used in the last half dozen of our update videos though. If subtle was what they were aiming for then it sure accomplished that.

Reactions: Waterphoenix

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Yes because today was the very first time we had an opportunity as a team to be exposed to it. As such there could be many refinements to sound direction and we shouldn't share anything so early in production. I will admit however that literally nobody has commented on an older sound asset that has been used in the last half dozen of our update videos though. If subtle was what they were aiming for then it sure accomplished that.
    I don't understand... a-are you drunk?

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sweet, i can't wait. Do you have any idea at all of when it will be ready or is it still pretty far off (ie more than a few months?)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Most peoples don't see the difficulty in making good sounds:

Music has at least 5 dimensions:
    1. More loud, more silent – magnitude is not always linear but uses a complex formula involving number of sounds, etc.
    2. Higher frequency and lower – magnitude is logarithmic: The previous/next octave is 1/8 and 8/1 frequency.
    3. Earlier, latter beats – also called Swing, this is whether a sound is played a bit too early or too late out of order.
    4. Tone length – logarithmic: half, double, …
    5. Base frequency of an instrument,
    6. some I maybe forget to mention right now because I am not in the mood today.
    And you can add many more dimensions, even temporary.
    If two instruments are the same and then divert, the magnitude of divergence itself is an extra dimension.
    These two instruments combined can use the existing 5 dimensions on each to create 10 in total.

A beginner guitarist can lack in using the dimension "more loud and more silent" because there is not much room to get more silent without hiding more strokes in the resonance.

Often magnitude is the difference to previous/next in the differential function. It takes a lot of training to notice or play with that as every frequency has a different time for previous/next.​

I don't play instruments, but make music with Rosegarden and Hydrogen from time to time. It is easy to start with and doesn't annoy neighbours ;)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Music has at least 5 dimensions:
    1. More loud, more silent – magnitude is not always linear but uses a complex formula involving number of sounds, etc.
    2. Higher frequency and lower – magnitude is logarithmic: The previous/next octave is 1/8 and 8/1 frequency.
    3. Earlier, latter beats – also called Swing, this is whether a sound is played a bit too early or too late out of order.
    4. Tone length – logarithmic: half, double, …
    5. Base frequency of an instrument,
    6. some I maybe forget to mention right now because I am not in the mood today.
    And you can add many more dimensions, even temporary.
    If two instruments are the same and then divert, the magnitude of divergence itself is an extra dimension.
    These two instruments combined can use the existing 5 dimensions on each to create 10 in total.

A beginner guitarist can lack in using the dimension "more loud and more silent" because there is not much room to get more silent without hiding more strokes in the resonance.

Often magnitude is the difference to previous/next in the differential function. It takes a lot of training to notice or play with that as every frequency has a different time for previous/next.​

I don't play instruments, but make music with Rosegarden and Hydrogen from time to time. It is easy to start with and doesn't annoy neighbours ;)
    Why are you posting this? I don't get it, the only relation I can find between this and any post here is they relate to music...

Are you also drunk? :P

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you also drunk? :p
    Yeah, drowned in many threads opened simultanously.
    I cutted out the reason and wanted to rewrite, pressed submit instead of preview and got drunk in memories about a similar thread ;)

Reaction score
    Sweet, i can't wait. Do you have any idea at all of when it will be ready or is it still pretty far off (ie more than a few months?)
    Music especially can take a while to compose, and unlike game features etc doesn't really need widespread bug testing as it goes. So I imagine it could be a while before we hear anything really. I can also say from experience sharing early versions of tracks doesn't feel great, so I doubt whoever is on the sound team wants to put early demos out to the public yet. Especially when honestly the feedback of a smaller group of people would be more useful there.

Reaction score
    Ahh fair. Similar situation really. No point showing off half finished stuff. Honestly, the bigger problem than the sound effects we have is the sound engine itself being very lackluster.

Reactions: Waterphoenix

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I will admit however that literally nobody has commented on an older sound asset that has been used in the last half dozen of our update videos though. If subtle was what they were aiming for then it sure accomplished that.
    What, the background music? I was aware of it, but I didn't comment on it :P

Reactions: EnerJay

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you have 1 fighter, you have sound.
    If you have 1000 fighters, you have a concert → music. How do you make it sound awesome?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    There is background music in the latest videos. It's only one piece and was sort of a nice demo for ambient music. It will take months before we see anything make it into the game but we are already being presented stuff.

Reactions: Winterhome

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There is background music in the latest videos. It's only one piece and was sort of a nice demo for ambient music. It will take months before we see anything make it into the game but we are already being presented stuff.
    Wow, had to go back and watch one, it indeed exists- quite nice, although very subtle- and hard to hear over the commentary.

I think its also important to remember that more than just music can fill a void; ambient sound itself contributes a huge amount to the environment. For example, howling wind on an Icy Planet can really bring out that desolate, isolated feeling.

And ships can be brought to life with various sounds (which can be emitted from blocks) such as fans slowly whooshing, lights with that fluorescent/neon buzzing hum; or subtle, industrious whirling, grinding, & pounding emanating from deep within a structure.

Though bare in mind that an overload of noise, even when quiet, can possibly lower the quality of, or out right ruin an environment's mood/feel.

Also: Any explanation for why no Vids with the SM News recently? I kind of miss them. :c

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    We have big plans for Sound and a great team working on it that understands a lot of the nuances that come with it. Looking forward to when we can share more as we move forward but for now be content in knowing that it's something being worked on.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I'll be surprised if I'll be able to hear these new sounds more than thrice per session.
    That right there is the big problem with the current sounds in the game.