Snataris Colonial Fleetyards - NEW: HoloSuite Ultimate Edition

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That kind of 'nestled' turret setup is what I have always wanted to do (but is really difficult with the old square docking areas). I think I'm going to be redoing the turrets on a fair few of my ships after the new update backs it out of dev build (I figure I'll wait as otherwise I might end up redoing them multiple times). Am I correct in presuming that the rectangular 'holder' docks to an old style docking module and the base and weapon module are then attached to the holder via rails? Or is the 'holder' just an extracted chunk of the ship and you can dock the base directly to the ship?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That kind of 'nestled' turret setup is what I have always wanted to do (but is really difficult with the old square docking areas). I think I'm going to be redoing the turrets on a fair few of my ships after the new update backs it out of dev build (I figure I'll wait as otherwise I might end up redoing them multiple times). Am I correct in presuming that the rectangular 'holder' docks to an old style docking module and the base and weapon module are then attached to the holder via rails? Or is the 'holder' just an extracted chunk of the ship and you can dock the base directly to the ship?
    I think that he made it that way just to make the installation simpler. However, what he could do is save a copy/paste template of the base and paste that in wherever he wants. Then he could just spawn the actual turret and slide that in. Both are equally efficient time-wise except that you cut down one unneeded entity with the method I described.

He might also have done it that way simply to show us what it looks like xD. Either way I like it a lot, it has that perfect point defense look (against fighters and missiles)

Reactions: Thalanor

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I do like the aesthetics of the little gunsphere, nicely terran :)
    BTW yes, the turret mount is a template for copypaste. However, that will change should I choose to make the turrets retractable - which will require possibly more than 10 more cores (iris shutter, barrel retraction, turret retraction) if everything works out alright.

Still thinking about whether to make all turrets retractable, or just the main turret (for extra style) but keep the rest always active (as I don't want completely dormant security anyways). Probably the latter.

The ion/explosive hybrid weapon makes it a very good support turret against all ship sizes when used in larger counts (both some block damage and respectable ion damage). For actual missile point defense, a super tiny variant will be created (now that there is no minimum docksize anymore).

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Best part is that I can already use this now, and when turret rotation reset via logic is implemented it just gets even better - but that is no requirement for it to work thanks to the round base shape (works at any rotation state the AI can steer the turret parts into)

The barrels are actually a multilevel chain to extend out far enough to look nice (while retracting into the round base shape).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Best part is that I can already use this now, and when turret rotation reset via logic is implemented it just gets even better - but that is no requirement for it to work thanks to the round base shape (works at any rotation state the AI can steer the turret parts into)

The barrels are actually a multilevel chain to extend out far enough to look nice (while retracting into the round base shape).
    Can entities on rails retract through open blast doors? If so you should put blast doors on the barrels that open when the barrels are extended so that they are not just flat.

Also really nice work!

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ladies and gentlemen - HEU-fraking-REKA!
    The SCF Engineering Corps is now widly partying and generally being hoopy froods. They have earned it.

I need that kinda iris on my gate!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oh you are making me not want to wait for this rails and rotating turret docks build to come out.... *tries to find a time warp computer*

In other news, I am very impressed with your ship schematic diagrams, mainly in he way you've listed everything, instead of like me, where I just write everything out separately... Is this approach your own or someone elses and if I blatantly plagiarise the method (different style ... as in less stylish) do you want credit? :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    BTW yes, the turret mount is a template for copypaste. However, that will change should I choose to make the turrets retractable - which will require possibly more than 10 more cores (iris shutter, barrel retraction, turret retraction) if everything works out alright.
    Cool. Also, that iris shutter is awesome! Way better than the blast-door logic one I made for my warp gates.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The SCF Engineering Corps is now widly partying and generally being hoopy froods. They have earned it.

I'm really loving this turret design, I'm not sure how well the turret is in battle but aesthetically it is quite pleasing. However, I do have some serious questions, for instance:
    • How do you plan on using this turrets on ships? With the size of this turret and the base being a square I can only assume you're putting this into a sizable ship and therefore you will probably have more than one of these. From the look of the turret I'm guessing that there are atleast 10 entities there at least for one turret, meaning that you will quickly amount tons of moving parts and therefore performance will seriously decline.
    • How do these turrets work under stress? My turrets that I have using a normal plate uncover method have a hard enough time smoothly transitioning and doing so with minimum amounts delay between them; I can only imagine that your turrets are even worse off.
    • How well do the turrets work in battle? With the retracting barrel system I can only assume the actual cannon is fake and the orb is where the weapon is- how is the damage from that smaller interior?

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Dannage go ahead of course, just use your own media :)

Atheddall:
    - this is a medium turret to be used in large quantities on a large ship (at least 300k mass) as you have guessed (or a faction station, which is what their shieldless counterpart has been originally built for). The large square of the hub is necessary to store the moving parts, however it is also functional - it provides enough power for all weapon types (including missile/beam) as well as 500k of dedicated shield pool for the turret (even after the shared mothership shields drop, the turrets have a backup).

- Yes, there are quite some moving entities on the turret, (8 for the iris, 2 for the turret axis, two for the barrel, one for the piston (both barrels are one entity)). A ship large enough to carry many of these retractable turrets will pretty much be a strain on the server one way or the other, though.

- Yes, the barrels are fake. However, they are barely a fraction of the weapon module volume. Each turret has about 1000 total weapon/slave/effect blocks combined, which is not bad for a turret which was specifically designed to look good on the outside (I prefer this to the old turretbricks we had).

That being said, the above retraction mechanism will only be featured on a ship of mine if I finish something large sometime. Even when built with efficiency in mind, a smallish cruiser would be cripped when equipped with too much tech.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Dannage go ahead of course, just use your own media :)

Atheddall:
    - this is a medium turret to be used in large quantities on a large ship (at least 300k mass) as you have guessed (or a faction station, which is what their shieldless counterpart has been originally built for). The large square of the hub is necessary to store the moving parts, however it is also functional - it provides enough power for all weapon types (including missile/beam) as well as 500k of dedicated shield pool for the turret (even after the shared mothership shields drop, the turrets have a backup).

- Yes, there are quite some moving entities on the turret, (8 for the iris, 2 for the turret axis, two for the barrel, one for the piston (both barrels are one entity)). A ship large enough to carry many of these retractable turrets will pretty much be a strain on the server one way or the other, though.

- Yes, the barrels are fake. However, they are barely a fraction of the weapon module volume. Each turret has about 1000 total weapon/slave/effect blocks combined, which is not bad for a turret which was specifically designed to look good on the outside (I prefer this to the old turretbricks we had).

That being said, the above retraction mechanism will only be featured on a ship of mine if I finish something large sometime. Even when built with efficiency in mind, a smallish cruiser would be cripped when equipped with too much tech.
    I was thinking today about a little something you might find useful as you're using fake barrels for their looks. You could possibly make a connection from the weapon system to trigger a clock that changes the direction of the barrels rails for some sort of fake recoil. I'm not good with turret designs but you may want to play around with the idea.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would like a recoil feature, that is why I am pushing for weapon computers to output a logic signal when fired (including by the AI). I just can't have off-timed recoil, but I want this feature so bad..

Reaction score
    Now there's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
    Nice work.

Reaction score
    Nice!
    Something I've been wondering, I guess you or Nuclear would be the go to guys, how are VLS (really all guided missiles I guess) turrets working with the new system (I need to redo my little Mbe 25/25/25, which is my only original) ? Do they need rotation on both axis? Do they even need rotation at all?

Your presentation is great, as everyone keeps talking about copying it, it really sets the standard for documentation.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks! :)
    The new system requires 2 axis like any other turret. Build a turret base like you would for other turrets now, and on the upper "barrel" part, use the same method as before the patch: the missile computer points up, and the decoration (barrel or here, the silo hole) is placed on top of the barrel module instead of protruding forward.

Reaction score
    Thanks! :)
    The new system requires 2 axis like any other turret. Build a turret base like you would for other turrets now, and on the upper "barrel" part, use the same method as before the patch: the missile computer points up, and the decoration (barrel or here, the silo hole) is placed on top of the barrel module instead of protruding forward.
    Does it make a difference which way Bobby faces? That's what got me to wondering about what rotation is required, since as long as the turret can get a lock-on you're GTG.