Snataris Colonial Fleetyards - NEW: HoloSuite Ultimate Edition

Reaction score
    The following little tech demo is an indicator that I have finally started a large project, large enough to house this in my CIC at least.
    A fully functional 33x13 display! Right now, it only features two static messages (alert and systems online), but I plan for a huge amount of static messages as well as dynamic ones (where their content is directly influenced by the current status of the ship's systems, like damage displays on the ship cross-section).

FEATURES (planned or implemented):
    - 33x13 pixels
    - Every message can have one of five colors (white, red, yellow, green, blue) or alternate/flash between two of them
    - Messages can have animations of arbitrary length in them . New: looped animations are also possible now
    - Messages can be both static (content always the same when triggered) or dynamic (content depends on additional inputs aside from trigger signal)
    - Maximum contrast and readability, even better once placed in a special case (to be designed)
    - Relatively low performance impact, none at all (logic does not update any blocks or lights aside from the core clock) when non-flashing message with reasonable animation content is loaded

How this hasn't gotten more attention is beyond me, this quite simply amazing and takes logic in this game to the next level. That and your engine design creative as well. Really thinking outside the box.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thanks! :D
    Well, part of the reason why I have only finished one ship so far (a frigate) is that my (SCF) engineering standards accept only high tech. Results in a lot of scrapped builds, but one day, Ill combine all the finished modules to one kickass ship ;)

R&D is more than weapons testing.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The following little tech demo is an indicator that I have finally started a large project, large enough to house this in my CIC at least.
    A fully functional 33x13 display! Right now, it only features two static messages (alert and systems online), but I plan for a huge amount of static messages as well as dynamic ones (where their content is directly influenced by the current status of the ship's systems, like damage displays on the ship cross-section).

FEATURES (planned or implemented):
    - 33x13 pixels
    - Every message can have one of five colors (white, red, yellow, green, blue) or alternate/flash between two of them
    - Messages can have animations of arbitrary length in them . New: looped animations are also possible now
    - Messages can be both static (content always the same when triggered) or dynamic (content depends on additional inputs aside from trigger signal)
    - Maximum contrast and readability, even better once placed in a special case (to be designed)
    - Relatively low performance impact, none at all (logic does not update any blocks or lights aside from the core clock) when non-flashing message with reasonable animation content is loaded

How did you create a multi-color pixel? It looks like one block per pixel. Do you have rod lights spaced out in there or something?

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I use red, green and blue rod lights with some space inbetween on a white hull background. Many different colors are possible this way with the way starmade adds light source colors together.

Think "RGB- Display", with the only limitation being that only one color per message is possible (with some fancy wiring, even gradients, but not per-pixel different colors).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Creeper__God

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I use red, green and blue rod lights with some space inbetween on a white hull background. Many different colors are possible this way with the way starmade adds light source colors together.

Think "RGB- Display", with the only limitation being that only one color per message is possible (with some fancy wiring, even gradients, but not per-pixel different colors).
    Clever.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen

Should be possible to isolate colors on individual characters, this would be done by using the same method as you used, while puting plex doors between each character touching the wall and blocking light coming from other areas from bleeding in. Since you are using plex doors you can get rid of these plex character bounderies when needed for larger images, or characters that would take up more than one normal character space.

I should also mention that you can get better than .5 second transitions with carefully timing multiple pulsars in between each other, making .25, .12.5, etc second clocks.

Reactions: Thalanor

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Plazmatic yes indeed - it was kind of planned for messages with text and graphics though, so I figured it was secondary. Faster than 0.5s doesn't work well though, in MP the display just barely catches up with the server already :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    Plazmatic yes indeed - it was kind of planned for messages with text and graphics though, so I figured it was secondary. Faster than 0.5s doesn't work well though, in MP the display just barely catches up with the server already :)

Yeah, maybe the devs could change it so that it plays on both the clients end and servers end, IE the server only updates a display every .5s to a player, but the client can interpolate inbetween.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The door plates can actually have depth! If it fits, there can be complex decorations without needing more than 1m to store one plate.

FRONT VIEW:

BACK VIEW:

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nice - the only disadvantage is the pixel size though. I can barely make the 1-block-per-pixel display "usable" (readable) from within a ship already. Of course you could just build a bigger ship ;)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Update! Have you ever started a ship project with the engines?
    h
    This is really neat! Use damage pulses and your engines will actually burn away trees you land on! :p And astronaughts... Shh!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I want to respond to some of the things you have built here, but I'm afraid only expletives come to mind. I will watch you, and I will learn... maybe... o_O

very very good... Except I now want to blow up everything I have ever created.