SMEdit conversion database

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Sometimes these shells work. Got 3 to work, they were just sitting in my blueprints folder for a while, dunno what changed. Maybe it was an update that made it work, as in reinstalling starmade might of done something.

Maybe I should try more, and see what process causes them to work exactly. Cause I know they didn't show up in my in-game blueprints folder the first or second time I tried.

Thanks again ref. Have a like for the work you did one and a half years ago!

Reaction score
    I know this is an old thread... but just wanted to say this:

Why are these ships not Symmetrical? Its annoying since ive got to rebuild whole sections.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I know this is an old thread... but just wanted to say this:

Why are these ships not Symmetrical? Its annoying since ive got to rebuild whole sections.
    thats just the effect of turning something not-blocky into blocks. The ships are coated in artifacts as well, so most people just submit to the process of replacing every block on the ship.

Reaction score
    I have a problem that I have no idea how to fix but when ever I load up one of the shells, I see nothing as it was not there but the icon that lets you know who's who and which direction they are at. Can some on help me with this???

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have a problem that I have no idea how to fix but when ever I load up one of the shells, I see nothing as it was not there but the icon that lets you know who's who and which direction they are at. Can some on help me with this???
    considering this is a 2 year old thread and the blueprints are from 2014...

Some stuff to consider...

I tested "firetail_grey" and "megathron_brown" they both worked fine for me.

There are multiple files inside the "main" folder, each different colors, be sure to copy/paste the correct folder, the main "unpack" folder is not it!

The blueprints are quite old and or some may be corrupt?
    Maybe test blueprint in an old StarMade version, load them ingame and then manually copy/paste into new version.

Or it could be the core bug, (common bug maybe) rinse & repeat the procedure, but if it happens every time... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SmEdit currently:

SmEdit does not work with the current 201.200+ game versions.
    However, it is still possible to convert models and load them into the current version using older game versions and then load(copy) the blueprints into the current version.

I suggest using models in .obj format, with Blender you can use any models on the internet, import them, and convert them into the .obj (make sure it's a "solid" model, not in bits), 3d Print Models are ideal!

Old Starmade version, approx. 2017 (until approx. V 0.199.654)
    download here (zips in bottom half*).

The old Launcher download here.

binvox (pixelizer) + (SmEdit*), download here.

Binvox is Command Line Interface: (Command Prompt)
    Navigate to the binvox folder: cd = change directory / change path:

[cd C: \ Users \ mypc \ myDownloads \ binvox].
    * The exact path can be copied from the address bar in windows explorer (ctrl c) and paste in the input window (ctrl v).

SmEdit (StarMade editing tool), download here.

*** SmEdit needs the old StarMade Version ***
    Copy the Smedit.jar into the / StarMade folder, double-click to execute, set path, set RAM, save, (RAM intensive for larger models *)

SmbEdit (extra tool) download here.
    With SmbEdit you can change blueprint type ... Ship to the station, move core etc.

Howto:
    1. copy "my3dModel.obj" into the binvox folder.

2. open / navigate the command line Interface into the binvox folder.
    enter " binvox -c -d 64 -dc my3dModel.obj " in the command line (no quotations*).

-d refers to the Long axis, the number behind it your desired length.

This results in a "my3dModel.binvox" file.

3.SmEdit import the my3dModel.binvox and export as Blueprint.

4. Manually copy/paste the blueprint into the current version of StarMade, it will be taken over and "updated". Once loaded it will not work with the old StarMade version or SmEdit / SmbEdit anymore *.

Done!

BINVOX Command Infos:

-d: specify voxel grid size (default 256, max 1024)

-t: specify voxel file type (default binvox, so supported: hips, mira, vtk, raw, schematic)

-c: z-buffer based carving method only

-dc: dilated carving, stop carving 1 voxel before intersection

-v: z-buffer based parity voting method only (default is both -c and -v)

-e: exact voxelization (does not use graphics card)

Additional parameters:

-bb <minx> <miny> <minz> <maxx> <maxy> <maxz>: force a different input model bounding box

-ri: remove internal voxels

-cb: center model inside unit cube

-rotx: rotate object 90 degrees ccw around x-axis before voxelizing

-no: rotate object 90 degrees ccw around z-axis before voxelizing

both -rotx and -rotz can be used multiple times

-aw: _also_ render the model in wireframe (helps with thin parts)

-fit: just write the voxels in the voxel bounding box

-bi <id>: when converting to schematic, use block ID <id>

-down: downsample voxels by a factor of 2 in each dimension (can be used multiple times)

-dmin <nr>: when downsampling, destination voxel is on if> = <nr> source voxels are (default 4)

Supported 3D model file formats:

VRML V2.0: almost fully supported

UG, OBJ, OFF, DXF, XGL, POV, BREP, PLY, JOT: (only polygons supported)

Extra-Linkage:
    binvox 3D mesh voxelizer, keywords: voxelization, voxelisation, 3D model

p-hofmann/SMBEdit

Last edited:

Alendon

Programmer
    Reaction score
    A little Addition to Tsnonak Explaination. There is nothing wrong but there is an easier Solution for "Step 3"

After converting your 3D Model with binvox, use Vox2sm3 (the Download button send you to Github, at "How to Use" in the default opened readme file, there is a link to the download). Only Problem: The Software may not work on Linux, its a Windows Executable, so maybe with Mono it works.

How to use:
    Just grab the Vox2sm3.exe and paste it in the same folder where youre .binvox files are stored.
    Open the cmd.exe, navigate to your folder (cd your/folder) and run vox2sm3 and pass the Model Name(without file extension) as parameter.

The Product is the same like those from SmEdit, but you dont need a StarMade Install on an old Version. It is very fast and personally i dont have good experiences with SmEdit about Conversions.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tsnonak
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thank you for the addition Alendon!

there is an easier Solution for "Step 2"
    I believe you meant "step 3.".
    Step 2. is binvox and is required either way. ;)

I completely forget about Vox2sm3, I have never used it and will also check it out!
    The biggest issue I have with SmEdit is that it needs huge amounts of RAM for bigger models, I estimate 8G+ @ approx 1km.
    If you run out of RAM it will without a doubt crash.

Reactions: Dadau

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Likeable
    The biggest issue I have with SmEdit is that it needs huge amounts of RAM for bigger models, I estimate 8G+ @ approx 1km.
    If you run out of RAM it will without a doubt crash.
    I deal with EVE Battleships imports in 1:1, which are around that 1 km size. I have an 10yo i5-750 with 12GB RAM (+RX-480).
    It's laggy and slow, but I was able to successfully import STL files, properly rotate the ships and reposition the core.
    Not for the faint of hearth, but enough for EVE die hard fans.

by Promethesus

1-First open your "CMD" Command Prompt.

2-open your Binvox folder, copy the location"EX: C:\Users\Tyr-Boot\Desktop\Binvox"

3-Copy and type "cd C:\Users\Tyr-Boot\Desktop\Binvox" in cmd

4- Select your .obj file name, and type: "binvox -ri -d 32 -c NAME.obj"
    ** -d 32 -c is the dimensions, change the number for the length of the ship, it will scale it to meet the lenghth**

Once that is complete, look for the NAME.binvox file, once you verified it is in the binvox folder, open SMEDIT, import and play.

Cheers.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tsnonak

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Anyone willing to import a Victory II frigate obj for me?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Personally I have no problem using the current version of starmade for SMedit. I import my .binvox into SMedit and I can register directly with the SMEdit option. I have no problem to make them appear in game (I use steam for Starmade and SMedit uses the files there).

On the other hand SMedit is really not stable. The slightest cancellation or even a rollback makes it crash.

To turn a ship in the right direction. I do it in several times, each time I turn SMedit off to change the degree.

In spite of all this we can get out of beautiful things with Binvox + SMedit.

For example:

starmade-screenshot-0264.png

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I love that you happen to have a Vic II model as well. xD
    Personally I have no problem using the current version of starmade for SMedit. I import my .binvox into SMedit and I can register directly with the SMEdit option. I have no problem to make them appear in game (I use steam for Starmade and SMedit uses the files there).

On the other hand SMedit is really not stable. The slightest cancellation or even a rollback makes it crash.

To turn a ship in the right direction. I do it in several times, each time I turn SMedit off to change the degree.

In spite of all this we can get out of beautiful things with Binvox + SMedit.

For example:

View attachment 55664