Smallest Point Deffense Challenge

Reaction score
    FoV is the bobys field of view, and because there can be other objects between the turret and the target I made a difference between those two.
    If there is an enemy/target and the turret is able to rotate in such a way that it can shoot/look at it, it will. However, if there are other turrets or even the ship itself in between the turret and the target the turret will continue to shoot at it regardles of that entity.
    Ok, yeah I understand now. I wasn't sure about Bobby.
    So the AI still needs a lot of work.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have to ask, why the "Smallest" instead the "Smallest Efficient" AMS? :p
    Well an AMS only needs a single 2 block cannon-cannon weapon as missiles have no HP, anything else wouldn't really be considered a proper AMS so there really is no need to specify. So far every "submission" I've seen has fully met my expectations so you'll have to expand further on the difference between "smallest" and "smallest efficient"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well an AMS only needs a single 2 block cannon-cannon weapon as missiles have no HP, anything else wouldn't really be considered a proper AMS so there really is no need to specify. So far every "submission" I've seen has fully met my expectations so you'll have to expand further on the difference between "smallest" and "smallest efficient"
    Except that the AI doesnt lead shoots that well, and that combined with the spread (depending on AI config), a single cannon-cannon isnt very efficient at hitting missiles. So for me, from experience, they have to be at least layered chessboard style, and the smallest efficient one ive found so far is a 3x2 array.

Reaction score
    Hi!
    It isn't extremely small as i went for a triple barrel:

I hope that we will get turret movement speed depending on turret mass, right now it is pretty sad how slow they move (especially in combination with the cone of fire nerf)

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I may have to stea- sorry, use that design. I've been having no luck with small PD turrets recently.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    My tiny dual barreled PD turret only 3x3x3:

Doesn't have its own shields or power but what PD turret does?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Alright, here's mine:

Sven_The_Slayer This is what I meant earlier by having the mechanism under the hull

My first turret with the new mechanic btw. Could definitely be better looks wise when viewed from the top but you wanted absolute minimal, so here it is. I could also make it 3x3x3 but it wouldn't look as good and wouldn't be dual barrel.
    Edit:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Alright, here's mine:

Sven_The_Slayer This is what I meant earlier by having the mechanism under the hull

My first turret with the new mechanic btw. Could definitely be better looks wise when viewed from the top but you wanted absolute minimal, so here it is. I could also make it 3x3x3 but it wouldn't look as good and wouldn't be dual barrel.
    That's interesting. So it is able to swivel within a 1 block hole or are you covering up a larger hole?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's interesting. So it is able to swivel within a 1 block hole or are you covering up a larger hole?
    There is no hole, the turret and rotation mechanism aren't physically touching and are separated by hull. That's why I mentioned that it's a bit cheaty :p. I'm kinda surprised that no one else has been doing this to be honest.

Reaction score
    There is no hole, the turret and rotation mechanism aren't physically touching and are separated by hull. That's why I mentioned that it's a bit cheaty :p
    AHhhhhhhh! I see said the blind man. Yeah, very clever! A bit cheaty I suppose but considering it's really just more for aesthetics than gaining any kind of actual advantage out of it....I'm going to stick with clever.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    AHhhhhhhh! I see said the blind man. Yeah, very clever! A bit cheaty I suppose but considering it's really just more for aesthetics than gaining any kind of actual advantage out of it....I'm going to stick with clever.
    Yea, that was pretty much my reflection :p. Either way, I made a version with a normal base, kinda looks cooler too. I added an image to my first post.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Here's a good looking turret:

Has two outputs, 90 degree incline, no depression but that's not needed with the cone of fire. The only thing that's annoying is that the turret will drag on the ground when it tries to aim down too much, which will prevent it from rotating (stupidly enough).

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I know this is neither the smallest nor the most efficient design, but in return it can STACK!
    And for what it can do, I think it looks fairly good.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    I know this is neither the smallest nor the most efficient design, but in return it can STACK!
    And for what it can do, I think it looks fairly good.
    Dat's off da chain, dawg!

...See what I did there? Huh? Really!? Ok, fine, I'll go back to working on crappy fighters.

Reaction score
    This isn't easy. I tried a few configurations, but didn't come up with anything different than the rest of you.
    Settled on something pretty similar to Sven's with a little different base. 30 blocks total.
    Tryed Keptik's trick, but found that the amount of empty hullspace wasn't worth the trouble (especially trying to dock/undock/fix) and I couldn't get a good angle of fire out of it.
    Actually I like the look (clean, basic and looks like only 20 blocks) of Keptik's 1st turret best, but I can't figure out how it's attached to the base and able to turn from looking at the pics!

Reaction score
    Scratch what I said about it being not easy. It totally blows. Just making turrets in general. It was a much needed overhaul and yada yada but oh what I wouldn't give for the ability to move ship cores right about now. Sorry for the OT (but then this thread has kinda died anyway) Does anyone have any general turret building tips?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This isn't easy. I tried a few configurations, but didn't come up with anything different than the rest of you.
    Settled on something pretty similar to Sven's with a little different base. 30 blocks total.
    Tryed Keptik's trick, but found that the amount of empty hullspace wasn't worth the trouble (especially trying to dock/undock/fix) and I couldn't get a good angle of fire out of it.
    Actually I like the look (clean, basic and looks like only 20 blocks) of Keptik's 1st turret best, but I can't figure out how it's attached to the base and able to turn from looking at the pics!
    Which do you not understand, the initial or modified turret base?