Smallest Point Deffense Challenge

Reaction score
    Which do you not understand, the initial or modified turret base?
    Both. Just where the attachment point is, since I can't see it from those angles.
    From the turret I was working on last night, I realize there are still minor clipping issues, when all is said and done, hitboxes will be hitboxes.
    Still trying to figure out the "rules" of this whole nightmare.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think i am getting a hang of these things.
    Aditional points (like that matters :p ) to those that recognize the inspiration behind this.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I've been experimenting with various designs.

My first was a test of the articulation of rails. It came out pretty well so i named it the "Kappa" because when the barrel lifted up it looked like it had a gaping mouth.

These are my current designs. Tiny disk shaped barrels I call "Coins". They look really nice and can be inlaid into nearly any design. I've even began experimenting on using a lock on missile variant as a broadside weapon system. It looks really cool and works pretty well.

Reaction score
    I've been experimenting with various designs.

My first was a test of the articulation of rails. It came out pretty well so i named it the "Kappa" because when the barrel lifted up it looked like it had a gaping mouth.

These are my current designs. Tiny disk shaped barrels I call "Coins". They look really nice and can be inlaid into nearly any design. I've even began experimenting on using a lock on missile variant as a broadside weapon system. It looks really cool and works pretty well.

Excellent technique!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Trying to refit my ships I really need to create a 2 tall PD turret that doesn't have to be countersunk...

*3 tall

Well I think I've done it. Has a good FOF, 3 tall, doesn't have to be countersunk.

Of course now I have to go back and swap the core and rail docker because they are backwards :P

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Trying to refit my ships I really need to create a 2 tall PD turret that doesn't have to be countersunk...

*3 tall

Well I think I've done it. Has a good FOF, 3 tall, doesn't have to be countersunk.

Of course now I have to go back and swap the core and rail docker because they are backwards :p
    Looks good. I think that's as close as you're gonna get to your pre-rail one.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Looks good. I think that's as close as you're gonna get to your pre-rail one.
    Yeah these will be my standard for sure. It has way better field of fire than my first attempt without the need to countersink. I'm not as happy with how it looks compared to the old one but whatever. It's small enough to stick on just about any ship and that's what I want from my missile defense.

Reaction score
    by all means. isnt it the point of this thread to help further the development of PD turrets?
    That being said, would you mind posting a shot of the turret halves seperated? I'm still trying to get exactly what can clip where and that would help me (and probably a lot of people) out a lot.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    The coins are all one ship so more halfs can be added if needed. The AMS version is extremely basic. The only block that could be switched out would be the camera. The Missile Version is a bit different. aside from the third half one of them is shaped differently. Thats to limit its range of motion in its dock. The AI is not smart enough to stop firing when its view is obstructed and allowing the turrets to spin freely only makes it waste energy firing inside of your ship.

Reaction score
    The coins are all one ship so more halfs can be added if needed. The AMS version is extremely basic. The only block that could be switched out would be the camera. The Missile Version is a bit different. aside from the third half one of them is shaped differently. Thats to limit its range of motion in its dock. The AI is not smart enough to stop firing when its view is obstructed and allowing the turrets to spin freely only makes it waste energy firing inside of your ship.
    Thank you very much for the explanation and detailed image!!!!

I (think I) understand now why I was having clipping issues with wedges, but not all the time. Looking at this and the shots with your base, I guess if the rail docker is centered then you can spin wedges around blocks next to them. If you're off-centered then you have to shift the base forward or back appropriately.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Crimson-Artist
    Reaction score
    I am really struggling to make turrets with the new system and this thread seems to have some great examples - is anyone willing to upload their .sment files for their turrets?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Random thought about point defense. Currently the problem is that even with multiple outputs on a turret the AI will still aim them all at the same point meaning there is no increase in the chance to hit. So what if we hard-mounted independently controlled additional barrels on our point defense turrets? That way a single turret would have multiple chances to hit and take up less space than an equivalent number of individual turrets.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Random thought about point defense. Currently the problem is that even with multiple outputs on a turret the AI will still aim them all at the same point meaning there is no increase in the chance to hit. So what if we hard-mounted independently controlled additional barrels on our point defense turrets? That way a single turret would have multiple chances to hit and take up less space than an equivalent number of individual turrets.
    The problem with that is the size of the actual turret will take up more space, and this thread is about the smallest possible PD.

Other than that, in concept you are absolutely right in terms of bullet spam. Suppose it might be debatable how effective it would be versus decoy missiles, since a larger fraction of PD would be distracted (turret would still dictate cone of fire), but they would also have a higher chance of hitting said missile. Gonna have to play around with that idea abit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I've tinkered with sinking the turret action under the hull:

Has full 90 degree FoF vertical, and 360 rotational. (The little one behind it also has the same range)

And a more conventional design:

Over 90 degrees vertical FoF, and 360 horizontal.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Silver
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is my current version of a small AMS system:

When rails first started to come out I started updating this turret first thinking it would be the easiest. Was I wrong.
    It turned out to be very difficult to get something I liked. Everything else just looked too bulky.