Smallest Point Deffense Challenge

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What is the smallest point defense turret you can create, that looks good, using the new turret axis blocks.

This is what I've come up with so far, behind it you can see my previous model using the old style turret docks. I'm still not as satisfied 100% with the new turret as I am with the old but it works well enough. It also is counter sunk into the ship by one meter otherwise the entire thing would be 5 meters tall (counting the light rod antenna). Other things I am not happy with are the two exposed cores (one of which I can bury in trade for exposing a computer) however the new shield sharing mechanics makes it acceptable.

Reactions: Nauvran and Rumcajz

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    What is the smallest point defense turret you can create, that looks good, using the new turret axis blocks.

This is what I've come up with so far, behind it you can see my previous model using the old style turret docks. I'm still not as satisfied 100% with the new turret as I am with the old but it works well enough. It also is counter sunk into the ship by one meter otherwise the entire thing would be 5 meters tall (counting the light rod antenna). Other things I am not happy with are the two exposed cores (one of which I can bury in trade for exposing a computer) however the new shield sharing mechanics makes it acceptable.
    I can agree with that the new turret system is something we as older player need to get used to.
    And small turrets are darn difficult to make if they need too look good, have a good FoV, and a decent firepower

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can agree with that the new turret system is something we as older player need to get used to.
    And small turrets are darn difficult to make if they need too look good, have a good FoV, and a decent firepower
    I was thinking of offset turrets like this. Probably has a much better field of fire than mine, mine can only look up and not all the way 90.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I was thinking of offset turrets like this. Probably has a much better field of fire than mine, mine can only look up and not all the way 90.
    Indeed, that's what I meant with a goof FoV, or FoF as you seem to call it.
    The turret I made can rotate a full 260 degrees on both axis

Reaction score
    I'm not really getting how this whole new system is going to work. Every piece needs a core? Does it need a Bobby too?
    And what about faction modules? Does the last core have the ability to rotate all the other cores?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not really getting how this whole new system is going to work. Every piece needs a core? Does it need a Bobby too?
    And what about faction modules? Does the last core have the ability to rotate all the other cores?
    Every piece needs to be a ship so they have to have a core. The gun itself will need a bobby AI but none of them need faction blocks.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think that the 360 FoF on the up/down axis is not needed, after all these will be mounted on capital ships/frigates etc. and all of those have outer hull trough which you can not shoot. IMO, everything that has more than -30 depresion (depending on the position and shape) is redundant.

Reaction score
    Every piece needs to be a ship so they have to have a core. The gun itself will need a bobby AI but none of them need faction blocks.
    Thanks for the info. I've been putting off going to the new build. Shame about the PD turret having to bulk up so much now. I like the look of your old ones, I use them myself. The shield sharing will be worth it though.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think that the 360 FoF on the up/down axis is not needed, after all these will be mounted on capital ships/frigates etc. and all of those have outer hull trough which you can not shoot. IMO, everything that has more than -30 depresion (depending on the position and shape) is redundant.
    That is true, unfortunately mine can only shoot flat out and up to about 45 so they do have quite a blind spot. I do like that twin gun cannon you got there. I'll have to experiment with some designs of my own for if I want more coverage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Since i realy love WW2 battleships, and those had independant guns, i also thought of this, but here are some problems.... 2 heads and 1 body, and we all know how boby AI loves to chose its targets. Will test it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430953373,1430952757][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Has anybody thought of turrets with independent barrels yet?
    Tested, and it actualy works, both barrels are shooting , at the same target tho, but at slightly different gun angles, due to their unewual position.

EDIT: As i thought the AI is derpy when haveing multiple enemies. The turret would shoot at one pirate for 2 seconds, than quickly aim at another one that was 120 degeres to the left, than switch back to the first ona.....repeat proces..

Note, that could be usefull against missiles?

EDIT No 2: It seems that after a while, and due to AI bein so derpy, the barrels ignore the collision so they could be able to shoot at their targets. The result is a gymnastic figure :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Megacrafter127
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

Still cannot aim down but it has a much higher angle of fire. This one even has shield rechargers so it gets to use the 220 shields provided by the core.

Reaction score
    Since i realy love WW2 battleships, and those had independant guns, i also thought of this, but here are some problems.... 2 heads and 1 body, and we all know how boby AI loves to chose its targets. Will test it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430953373,1430952757][/DOUBLEPOST]

Tested, and it actualy works, both barrels are shooting , at the same target tho, but at slightly different gun angles, due to their unewual position.

EDIT: As i thought the AI is derpy when haveing multiple enemies. The turret would shoot at one pirate for 2 seconds, than quickly aim at another one that was 120 degeres to the left, than switch back to the first ona.....repeat proces..

Note, that could be usefull against missiles?
    Doesn't seem like much point in multiple barrels then.

Except that is only needs to hit the missile 1 time, so I'd stick with derpy AI. I guess it really depends how those pirates were flying though. If it's prioritizing them by proximity it might not be a bad thing (since there's really no kind of threat detection/prioritization). I'd rather have the AI shooting at the closest target if that's the only kind of prioritization choice we have.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430954385][/DOUBLEPOST]

Still cannot aim down but it has a much higher angle of fire. This one even has shield rechargers so it gets to use the 220 shields provided by the core.
    Limited FoF might not be such a bad thing either. Provided that the turret doesn't try to target things outside it's FoF.
    It would guarantee the turret is covering it's area of responsibility and enough turrets and careful placement and you can have full coverage.

Anyone noticing if the turrets are smart enough to not try to track on targets on the other side of the ship for example?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Turrets do not aim at the targets they do not have a FoV, as for FoF, they do try to shoot trough things.

Reaction score
    Turrets do not aim at the targets they do not have a FoV, as for FoF, they do try to shoot trough things.
    I'm not really following you here.
    FoF is where the turret can rotate. I'm not sure what you mean by FoV, since unless Bobby acts like a camera the turret doesn't really have a FoV afaik.
    I thought with the new system they weren't going to try to be able to shoot through the ship. And if it's trying to shoot through stuff still, that would be outside it's FoV.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    FoV is the bobys field of view, and because there can be other objects between the turret and the target I made a difference between those two.
    If there is an enemy/target and the turret is able to rotate in such a way that it can shoot/look at it, it will. However, if there are other turrets or even the ship itself in between the turret and the target the turret will continue to shoot at it regardles of that entity.