Shipyard suggestions

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Shipyards do not work the way I'd expect them to. Here are my suggestions:

Entering Design Mode
    How it works: Start a design from the shipyard computer then travel out to the virtual core to work on the design.

How I want it to work:
    Start a design from the shipyard computer then go into build mode to work on the design from it without having to leave the computer.

Reason:
    Convenience, immersion, logic.

This has been previously suggested here.

Docking
    How it works: The ship anchor must be painted with the rail docking beam to dock a ship in the yard.

How I want it to work:
    The ship anchor may be painted with the ship core to dock the ship in the yard.

Reason:
    Why force players to use a rail docker in the designs if they want to work on them from a shipyard?

Shipyard Anchor

How it works: Set the ship anchor down in the center (probably) of the shipyard. Hope you don't create a design wherein the core position is not centered.

How I want it to work:
    Allow me to select the position of the ship core. Allow it to be moved in the virtual design environment. When I dock a ship in the yard, just center its build envelope (include all docked entities) in the yard. There's a few ways I can think of to do this. The ship anchor could still exist, but when you paint it with the docking beam it just puts your ship in the yard instead of centering the core on it. Or you could do away with the anchor and make it so that painting any of the shipyard modules docks the ship. Or you could make it so that when the ship is completely enveloped by the shipyard then it docks automatically.

Reason:
    The anchor seems like an unnecessary limit.

This was suggested as point 3 here

Editing a Design
    How it works: Create a design, go to the test sector to try out the systems, go back to the design to tweak it, go back to the test sector to try the tweaks, etc...

How I want it to work:
    Work on a design, go to the test sector, try out the systems, work on the design from the test sector, return to the shipyard computer with the completed design.

Reason:
    As a fairly new player I don't have memorized exactly how much power I need to run all my systems and fire off weapons. I may never know without trying it out. And I'm crazy when it comes to optimizations. It's horribly inconvenient, if not impossible, to go back and forth between the design and the test sector every time I want to tweak something.

Shipyard Power Interuptions
    How it works: If the shipyard runs out of power while a build is progress, you lose all the materials that were used.
    How I want it to work: If the shipyard runs out of power while a build is in progress it simply resumes when power is restored.
    Reason: It seems a bit illogical that your materials just disappear because the shipyard stopped working. It's also frustrating.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ltmauve