1. We've removed some functionality from SMD in preparation for a migration to new forum software. We expect to make the move before August.

Bug Shield Bypass with Beams

Discussion in 'Game Support' started by DuckyQuacks, Jul 10, 2018.

1. DuckyQuacks

Hello,

This post is about the issues with the 'Beam' system currently.

Whilst firing a beam and crossing between two sectors the beam will periodically ignore all shield hitpoints on the targeted ship and immediately do block damage - beams are the only weapon system affected by this due to them firing a constant stream of damage (all other weapon systems do not bypass the shields).

Whilst building a carrier I noticed that the fighters would be orbiting the targeted ship at very fast speeds which would make them cross between sectors constantly - this lead to ships with millions of shields intact still taking damage for un-explainable reasons.

We have verified that the shield system surrounds the entire ship and there are no points where the shield sphere intersects with the ship, there is a lot of free space around the ship.

Here's the video showing the kind of damage which has happened:
      https://youtu.be/Rl-QNnZR-2o

• Like Like x 2
    2. decom70

Heya,
      Guy from the big ship here (as seen in the video linked).
      I already noticed this bug in the Beta build of the Weapons Update, but thought something this obvious was propably already known. It seems not. At least I haven't seen anything about it.
      This bug pretty much makes the person with the most automated beam fighters the strongest player. Bigger ships would only be a waste.
      Terrible for pvp.

3. DuckyQuacks

4. Lancake

Lancake Head of Testing

We fixed several issues about weapon damage bypassing shields:

This particular case could still happen although it should have been covered by the fix as well, I'll check it out.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Dr. Whammy

Dr. Whammy Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis

Unfortunately, it's still happening even as of the latest update.

In the last hour, I strayed too close to a pirate base but figured I'd stick around and fight it. My shields had 1 recharger, 4 capacitors, an integrity of 378 and enough regen. to completely tank the station's lasers. ...or so I thought. I took damage anyway like the shields weren't even up.

Glad I blueprinted that ship just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Vyvï

I can confirm that.

7. -PR-Sandbag

Also seeing this problem - Shields don't drop below 98% but an Isanth can carve me like butter.