Reveresed April fools: The new planets are real

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players!

First of all I'm sorry if that joke caused any annoyance or frustration. We basically tried to do an April fools joke without lying by telling the truth in a very odd way. Calbiri acted on my behalf. I told him to make a news post about the new planes as fishy as possible. And he just did the right amount of ambiguity. We were never against round planets, we just had to wait until the right concept came along.

But here are the facts: New planets are in fact coming!

They are dodecahedrons. After I saw that excellent forum suggestion forum by Raichor I was sold on the concept. It may have been an idea that has been pointed out before by other people (and thank you all for suggesting), but he did an amazing job to list all the pros and cons in a very impartial and logical way. The only problem that was really hard to solve was the seam between planet segments. The solutions for that in the post weren't fitting enough for a game. Developing extra exceptions for the seems would bring a lot of problems with it. Since the concept itself was brilliantly simple, I didn't want to have a complex solution for one little detail. So the solution is to just overlap the blocks, which has zero impact in performance and even does look cool.

The core of the planet will most likely be liquid, and entering it will have similar effects as going into a sun. The core will have a high number of regenerating hitpoints, and maybe there will even be certain weapons that are only effective against planet cores (*cough* death star *cough*). Blowing up a planet will result in the segment blowing of the surface.

The planets will rotate just like they do now, and a spherical atmosphere has already been implemented. Also the gravity already works, but there are still some issues to handle.

Also there are some other features already implemented that I will announce soon. The first exclusive look at the test build will probably be at the charity stream.

But enough of the explanation, here is the video showing it (you can't see that video in the launcher, only when going to the site):

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    i was right, new the planets are comeing, and it was a reverse april fools!!!!!!!!!!!!!! suddenly i love april 1st

Reaction score
    Back in the late 90\'s I tried to program my own space game, My plan for making planets would have been to make a zone that when you enter it you are taken out of the main map, and placed into a different map. Think of like in Final Fantasy when you go from an over world map to a town.

In Star Made I would make it that once you get really close to the sphere you are brought to a Minecraft style generation except not an infinite world, a looping world. A mode Minecraft should have. You could make planets really large too. This is the only way to make planets a true adventure.

The down fall to your plan, is that Lag is going to be a killer. It is so marginally bad right now, I am finding myself playing Star Made less. My plan would make the approach easier, and Gravity more consistent, rather then distances from highest block it could be the altitude axis. What minecraft delegates to the Y axis, you would be able to call altitude, with 0 being the generation ground level negative being below ground level. Although the generation could be lower the 0 too.

Lastly, it would make cheating allot harder.

Reaction score
    this may not be a reverse april fools joke, todays post may be the real april fools joke and the revese april fools joke is a cover to fool people.

April Fools

Reaction score
    What will happen inside the planet, how var can you dig, when does the core start? Can you dig near the other planes, as they are overlapsing?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With a little tweaking of the terrain generation, there could be truly seamless, sphere-like planets you actually would have to look at really carefully to tell it\'s a dodecahedron. I love this new planet type to death! (And I love how the dev actually listens to great community ideas)

TheBlueThunder

Algorithm of hacks
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I\'ll repeat what I said last time \"yay finally better planets :D\"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is really awesome....this game is slowly fufilling my hopes for minecraft that never happened,we just need more things to do more enemy types etc but I\'m sure all will come in time!

KEEP UP THE AMAZING WORK SCHEMA AND TEAM

Reaction score
    Nah, they really are real. Though Schema really should have set the post date to reflect being on April 2nd.

Fact is, there are places in the world where it\'s already April 2nd. While I think the current post time is earlier enough to still leave doubt in people\'s minds, posting it now does mean that people who rarely check the news are more likely to come here looking for an April Fools joke and be happy instead of disappointed. After all, many of them wouldn\'t have come back the next day. ;) So it mostly just trolled the people who frequent the StarMade news.

Take that, loyal players! Wait, that seems kind of self-defeating... ehh, I think you\'ll all agree that it doesn\'t matter when planets are going to be roundish. ^__^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I still think the planets are to small, 2x or 3x the one on the video would make really great planets.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    instancing is an immersion killer. any system that takes players out of the universe is not a welcome addition to a 3D Sandbox Universe. It takes players away from the rest of the online player group. It causes massive overheads due to the additional \"world\" that must be generated. You have 100 players on planets, you have 101 universes to run.

that is never going to be an improvement.

that is just my opinion. you are of course entitled to your own.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, although they are a decent size they could be larger. Although you need to think about what may be built and what space would be required. Too big a planet and there may be problems going into sector borders

Reaction score
    Please let this post be the april fools joke. :( The people wanting round planets make as much sense to me as those that are playing Minecraft with HD textures.

Also, the detail is rather low this way, it looks still pretty much angular.

Reaction score
    Awsome! Now we just need proper scaling for planets and they\'ll be perfect.