Reveresed April fools: The new planets are real

Reaction score
    Im not a fan of this style of planet. I mean the method may work, but the edges look ugly. Wouldnt using inverted piramids work better and be more flawless on the edges? Making a large cube but still the same mechanic at work.

Reaction score
    That method inherently requires a transition, and a transition separates the planets from the universe. It makes doing things on planets and doing things in space two completely different things, rather than letting them blend together seamlessly. After all, how could you bombard a planet from orbit if it technically existed in a different universe?

While that method was certainly considered, a lot of StarMade is designed to flow together as naturally as possible with no arbitrary changes, making sure everything exists and interacts in one cohesive universe. This assures that if you want to do something, you can do it, and won\'t be limited by arbitrary transitions.

This new method allows many of the benefits of a round planet while remaining in one contiguous universe, all while still keeping to the general StarMade feel. :) Lag is obviously always a concern. StarMade was built from the ground up with reducing lag in mind and it still struggles some, mostly due to sheer scale. Attention to and the minimization of lag will not be overlooked.

Reaction score
    We already have wedges and wedge-corners for block parts. It shouldn\'t be too difficult to implement some type of special \"planet-wedge\" to fix the ugly seams.

I\'m in favor of this type of planet because it\'s a spherical-style body that retains the \"blockiness\" of the minecraft-style gameplay.

One could say \"the best of both worlds.\"

Reaction score
    uuh...... nah, still doesnt sit right. Hexagonal if anything, but not this style.

Reaction score
    Unfortunately, specialized planet wedges would probably cause more issues than they would solve. That being said, everyone keep in mind that what you\'re seeing will be refined over time. Hopefully the seams can be cleaned up. :)

That being said, I agree about the planet. It still lets you travel around the planet like you would a real one, still allows more realistic gravity, still allows building epic things around the planet, yet you still get nice charming flat surfaces to build on. The angles between the faces aren\'t so steep that it feels like walking off a cliff, so the transition still remains fairly natural.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    THESE PLANETS ARE THE BEST!!! NOW I CAN ACTUALLY MAKE A PLANET BASE THAT WILL LOOK GOOD :D

Reaction score
    This is true. Perhaps it will grow on my over time when we can get our hands on it. Only time will tell.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is awesome! I\'m super impressed, but how are you going to keep people from mining through a planet to get to a base on the other side? This is still a problem with the disk planets. Are you going to add a planet core block that cannot be removed?

Reaction score
    But the planets are still really, really small! I can understand that not everyone owns an Intel i9 quantum processer with 9.0 GHZ and 1TB of RAM, but still at least consider it. Maybe a server setting?

Reaction score
    these planets may look small but the fact that they are \"round\" creates a massive surface area thats already big enough to build to your hearts desire

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    These planets are going to be bigger than the one in that video, right? Otherwise trying to build cities and whatnot will STILL be frustrating... Or perhaps add a config setting for planet face diameter or something.

Reaction score
    I think they are fine. Great work schema. I only have one question, in the dev interview it was mentioned, that there could be multiple planet types in the game. So are we going to see these planets, Oreos and maybe something entirely different? :D

Reaction score
    Is this a reveresed aprils fool aprils fool?

Still seems to good to believe

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I hereby renounce my former heresy and embrace the DDHPlanet. That was my main onjection to them; the nasty seams between the tectonic plates. Of course planetary pentagonal pyramids don\'t need to be subject to collision with one another. We\'re already doing this sort of entity melding in game. Go make a turret that sits flush on your hull, now angle it up, and the back of the turret will blend seamlessly with your hull. Each one will collide with a player entity, but not with eachother. Want to know how mining will work? Try mining near the nexus of your turret and hull. See how you can remove blocks from both?

Hmm I wonder if we might have each world procedurally generated from individual procedurally generated pentagonal pyramids. Maybe a biome per face?

But the big thing for me is you can\'t jump off a dodecahedron! A space program should take more than a pair of nikes and a poor sense of balance!

Reaction score
    Any word on how well orbiting such a planet works? I\'d imagine that since these worlds are segmented that the gravity isn\'t uniform like a real planet, so establishing a stable orbit would probably be really difficult or impossible.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    if it were real (g(m1+m2)/d^2) gravity then you could probably approximate a real orbit. But Starmade gravity (at least for now) is simply \"on\" within a defined distance not too far above the surface.

That being said, you don\'t really NEED to orbit. Just park outside the gravity, and you\'re fine.